Play Nice Hypothetical Pick 1 Trade Poll: Pick 1 for Picks 2 & 15 --- Pick 1 & F1 (WCE) for Picks 2 & 3 --- Something else?

What sort of trade do you think would be fair and/or likely when involving Pick 1 in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And of course, I will remind you all to review the rules of the trade board, in particular:
  • No trolling – in addition to the obvious, we have a ban on troll nicknames such as Norf, West Coke, etc similar to the main board, because this type of language is inflammatory and creates more issues than it solves. Keep it civilised or take it elsewhere, such as the Bay or your club board, or whoever will have you really
  • Don't be a pest – this includes derailing the thread with off-topic stuff, or trying to starve it of oxygen through proof by assertion/argument ad nauseam, aka filibustering
  • Personal attacks – should go without saying but stick to the point, no name calling, no insinuations about someone's intelligence, abilities or other attributes

They traded their 2018 1st in the 2017 trade period for a bunch of 2nd rounders from GC. WC were tipped by many to struggle in 2018, but won the flag and picked up Oscar Allen and Liam Ryan out of the deal.

Yes they did, though that was on the back of finishing 8th and 2 games outside of 4th.

Hardly the same level of risk as doing it after finishing 18th with 3 wins, and being 7 wins and 40 percent off 14th.

North have been desperate for talls for a better part of a decade?

Larkey current
Brown traded in 2020
Waite retired in 2018
Petrie retired in 2016
Tarrant traded/retired in 2021
Mckay just left

So better part of a decade actually means since end of 2020, or 3 seasons ago? I guess you could label that the better part of half a decade
A bunch of old blokes, with nobody developing behind them, would indicate that my statement was correct.

Yes, yes, North need to pick up at least two, and preferably three talls this draft. This all means it is unlikely we will significantly increase our offer for Harley, as we'll need those late first round picks to fill the obvious holes in our list. The current offer seems a good one, especially for us, I think West Coast may be forced to either take it or Harley. I think they'll take Harley, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yes they did, though that was on the back of finishing 8th and 2 games outside of 4th.

Hardly the same level of risk as doing it after finishing 18th with 3 wins, and being 7 wins and 40 percent off 14th.
No, but they believe a lot of that is injury related.

I also don't think they're as afraid of a risky trade as made out

Nah, I did one ages ago in another thread.

Boy was I shocked to see another had only taken what, 2(?) talls in the ND for the better part of a decade(Xerri/Comben).
Ah sure, I bet you did mate. Either way, it's super lazy analysis. There's multiple avenues to pick up players outside of the ND, including the MSD, DFA and trading, all of which have been used to address KPPs in recent years.

Regardless North need KPPs that's for sure, but to indicate that WCE are in a less dire spot than North is pretty one-eyed. If they were, there wouldn't be such a push to sell pick 1 for multiple picks IMO.

Ah sure, I bet you did mate. Either way, it's super lazy analysis. There's multiple avenues to pick up players outside of the ND, including the MSD, DFA and trading, all of which have been used to address KPPs in recent years.

Regardless North need KPPs that's for sure, but to indicate that WCE are in a less dire spot than North is pretty one-eyed. If they were, there wouldn't be such a push to sell pick 1 for multiple picks IMO.
And where did you see the really big push from WC ?
All we've done so far is say no to offer's.

Push?

From who?

Kane Cornes, Garry Lyon and Jon Ralph?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And where did you see the really big push from WC ?
All we've done so far is say no to offer's.

Push?

From who?

Kane Cornes, Garry Lyon and Jon Ralph?
The push is from the media, in both Vic and WA, as it's widely acknowledged that WCE need as much talent as possible, they are more than 1 player away from completing the rebuild.

The Eagles could literally come out tomorrow and say pick 1 is not for sale and we are taking Reid, ending all speculation. But they haven't, which indicates they are open to trading the pick as well.

The push is from the media, in both Vic and WA, as it's widely acknowledged that WCE need as much talent as possible, they are more than 1 player away from completing the rebuild.

The Eagles could literally come out tomorrow and say pick 1 is not for sale and we are taking Reid, ending all speculation. But they haven't, which indicates they are open to trading the pick as well.
Why would they shut the door when there's every possibility that Rawlings could get Reid FOMO and do something stupid?

That's the only thing they're waiting for, otherwise they'll just keep pick 1, as O'Brien's said numerous times is the most likely outcome.

As said multiple times to come out 3 weeks before the draft and say...der...er...we don't want anything....ever...would be really fn stupid, almost as stupid as thinking we should just take lots and lots of players as fast as we can.
2&3 or Harley😂

The club has already outlined they will draft Reid unless they receive an extrodinary offer.

I'm not sure where this idea that Mckercher is a flight risk comes from. When asked about the Tassie team in interviews he could barely have shown less interest. He is from Launceston, and like many kids his age, wants to get out. The new team will be based in Hobart, where there is slightly more for a cashed-up kid in his early twenties to do - but not much.
I believe mckercher is a massive flight risk, and it has absolutely nothing to do with what he thinks or feels.

If he is even half decent tassie will offer him at least 1 mill a year, and the afl will offer the same again as an ambassador payment. (More if he is elite)

GAJ had no interest at all in GC, but he couldn't turn down the money. I expect the same for sanders/mckercher.

I believe mckercher is a massive flight risk, and it has absolutely nothing to do with what he thinks or feels.

If he is even half decent tassie will offer him at least 1 mill a year, and the afl will offer the same again as an ambassador payment. (More if he is elite)

GAJ had no interest at all in GC, but he couldn't turn down the money. I expect the same for sanders/mckercher.
Personally ive already nicknamed McKercher as Jetstar

Thats one flight that is a high risk of cancellation

Personally ive already nicknamed McKercher as Jetstar

Thats one flight that is a high risk of cancellation
The big question for me is what compo does the club get who has mckercher? The compo clubs got when the elite youngsters left their clubs for GWS was the equivalent of band 1 (a pick straight after their first, except for geelong who for unknoen reasons got far more). If the club is planning for finals by the time tassie joins the league, the return might be pick 30+ after all the tassie bonus picks and compos and free agents.

It might make WC think twice about trading pick 1 if that is their future.

GAJ could also be used as an example of how the marque player/s don't need to be locals. But supposing this happens, whoever originally drafted him would get significantly compensated for their loss anyway. It just isn't worth worrying about.

It looks like there could be three Tassie players taken in the first dozen. Maybe clubs aren't as worried about this as many posters on here.

GAJ could also be used as an example of how the marque player/s don't need to be locals. But supposing this happens, whoever originally drafted him would get significantly compensated for their loss anyway. It just isn't worth worrying about.

It looks like there could be three Tassie players taken in the first dozen. Maybe clubs aren't as worried about this as many posters on here.
That wasn't what happened with ward or scully. They were given band 1 compo straight up (although it wasn't called that back then). Had any of those clubs been finals teams they would have gotten a pick in the 20s. Today that would be the 30s due to draft shenanigans.

I would still probably take the gamble ,but it is a gamble.

Realistically, can North actually miss out on Reid from a financial perspective?

I think its why the talk is so strong. North cant afford the membership money losses that come from Reid playing over West

If we are smart and approach this as a monetary transaction then Reid for McKercher and Curtin has to be the deal. Nothing more or less
I think we stand more to gain from Reid than North. North get Reid or five first rounders through the door. They're going to be selling memberships anyway. We get our next #9 or a couple of really-good-but-not-Harley-Reid kids. North will still be selling plenty of #3 jumpers next year. All of our kids will be wearing #9 or #12.

Lachie Weller is proof that expansion clubs will do anything and I mean anything to get a good local to the club

McKercher if he comes on will be that perfect combination of GAJ and Lachie Weller for a club like Tasmania

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back