[ICC Cricket World Cup 2003] - South Africa vs New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by red+black
sounds like my beloved football team :mad:

ugh... i hope you are taking the p*ss.

i was at the game where ricky mott missed the set shot with seconds remaining that would have put us 4 points in the lead. the inauguaral game at the then Stadium Australia. if its a team that everyone thinks will do well only to choke it is mine :(

It'll always be used, although it's likely the table will change from time to time as it's based upon actual match results, and these will vary over time. By far the fairest system.

Not that it mattered, New Zealand were firmly on target when the match was shortened, and would have been extremely likely to win.

Assumption: NZ do not go to kenya and thus lose the points.
Assumption: South Africa defeat Sri Lanka (otherwise South Africa are out of the World Cup).
=====
If Sri Lanka defeat the West Indies (d/n Fri 28th):

SL - 5 wins
WI - 4 wins
NZ - 4 wins
RSA - 4 wins

South Africa are out of the world cup because they lost to both West Indies and South Africa
=====
If the West Indies defeat Sri Lanka (d/n Fri 28th):

WI - 5 wins
SL - 4 wins
NZ - 4 wins
RSA - 4 wins

Net Run Rate will decide who progresses to the Super Six.

For this scenario, if NZ tour Kenya and win, then NZ and RSA go through and SL are eliminated.
=====
South Africa's ONLY chance is for the West Indies to beat Sri Lanka, and even that won't guarantee their progress through

The Windies shared the points from the washout with Bangladesh tonight, makes things a bit more interesting now. Sth Africa might have just caught a huge break there.

absolutely 100% incorrect. the target was the same whether NZ had 1 wicket down or 9 wickets down. the target WOULD NOT have been 260ish if NZ had only 5 wickets left.

Yeah, as Nicko said, that is how it works. The reason they had a lowish total to get (229) is because they had plenty of recources in hand. And it doesn't matter how many wickets fall after the revised total has been set.

Originally posted by The Hippie
The Windies shared the points from the washout with Bangladesh tonight, makes things a bit more interesting now. Sth Africa might have just caught a huge break there.

yeah, the weather is the 15th competitor at the world cup. south africa still have to beat sri lanka though. hopefully it's a knockout game for both teams so that we see a quality game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back