If the 2009 draft was now... Would Barlow be pick #1?

Remove this Banner Ad

swans4eva

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty Simple.

What are your thoughts? Would've Melbourne taken him over Trengove or Scully? If not, what pick do you think he would go at?

Ridiculous, no way! He has a ready made body, of course he was more likely to play well more quickly. Wouldn't even be top 20, well maybe pick 15 or so. Wouldn't go before Melksham and Gysberts etc..

At the half way mark he is in AA form and in the top 10 players on form for the season.

I can't think of any first year player that has done that before him (especially a mid).

You can talk about upside all you want but it remains a gamble . Let's not forget that midfielders arn't exactly a ruckmen or a KPP who won't be anywhere near their best for years, Scully and Trengrove's room for improvement is not as great as most believe.

If this draft wasn't so midfield dominant (and weak compared to previous), I'd say he is a certainly for 10-5 draft. However the 2009 draft was a weak midfield dominant one and thus it be hard to make a case for him to slide past the first pick (Knowing what we know now).

He is 4 years older than most of the drafties, so how about a list of midfielders taken in the past 4 years that have had better seasons.

No he wouldn't. He is a good but what scope does he has to improve. Ask anyone and they will say they would take Scully, Trengove and Martin over Barlow. He is a mature aged recruit who is good, but he is not a 1st round pick. If he was 18 or 19, different story.

Ridiculous, no way! He has a ready made body, of course he was more likely to play well more quickly. Wouldn't even be top 20, well maybe pick 15 or so. Wouldn't go before Melksham and Gysberts etc..
Absolute joke... draft picks are immensely overrated! Look at all the failures which have come out of the first round, last year's draft wasn't even terribly strong. Look at the statistics at the amount of say picks 5-20 which don't turn out well. Barlow is arguably in strong brownlow and AA contention and will be a very good player for Freo for the next 10 or so years.

Have a look at last years draft. Honestly who is disappointed with their first round? All clubs went for players with potetial to be elite midfielders/KPP's. He'd go mid 2nd round- pick 25ish. Most of the top 20 will be 150-200 game players for their clubs.

ps. If you don't think the top 10 picks will be good players for their clubs for the next 10 years you are a fruitloop!

I doubt as Scully and Trengove are Younger and Have Higher Upside then Barlow. Those Barlow would probably go in the 1st Round

Except Barlow is considerably quicker than them, hasn't been in the AFL system and is a size up (will always be). Id say the upside to Barlow is pretty high.

Barlow at this stage isnt anywhere near worth a top 20 pick, but he will be once the lemons of the 09 draft get exposed and as he improves with a full AFL preseason under his belt.

Have a look at last years draft. Honestly who is disappointed with their first round? All clubs went for players with potetial to be elite midfielders/KPP's. He'd go mid 2nd round- pick 25ish. Most of the top 20 will be 150-200 game players for their clubs.

ps. If you don't think the top 10 picks will be good players for their clubs for the next 10 years you are a fruitloop!
You don't think Barlow will be a 150-200 game player? He's been in the top 10 midfielders in the entire competition this season. Also there was a heavy statistical analysis posted some time last year that showed far less than 50% of top 20 picks will play that number of games. If Barlow's performing at the level of top-10 midfielder in the AFL, which I think he is, how many players from the top 20 do you think will reach that level? Not very bloody many.

All the top 14 picks have way more potential than Barlow. Barlow is good, but he is 22, he is not 18. All of the picks that went 1st round went there for a reason!
All of them have the potential to be in the top 10 midfielders in the competition? Because that's where Barlow has been this year. With Scully, Trengove, Martin, Cunnington, Sheppard, Moore, Melksham, Gysberts, Lucas all in there that only leaves 1 spot for the rest of the competition to fight over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no doubt barlow would go top 10 now.
If gary rohan, who looks to have a heap of potential and raw talent can get it all together and turn into a player, albeit in a different position, as good as barlow is now, i would be happy. So for mine that says he would should be taken probably 5 - 10

Look at the 2005 draft as a comparison. Thats his vintage. He should be compared to the Marc Murphy's and Dale Thomas'. No point comparing him to this years draft. He's definitely in the top 20 from that group. He's probably better than 1/2 the top 10 and most of the players ranked 10-20. There's a few standouts, Bernie Vince at 32 was an excellent selection.

Given his form this year, he should be ranked in the top 10 from his draft. Despite it taking him 4 drafts to get noticed.

All of them have the potential to be in the top 10 midfielders in the competition? Because that's where Barlow has been this year. With Scully, Trengove, Martin, Cunnington, Sheppard, Moore, Melksham, Gysberts, Lucas all in there that only leaves 1 spot for the rest of the competition to fight over.

Barlow has been in the top 10 midfielders in the AFL for 11 games.

The way you are talking, it's as if he has been in that category for some sort of significant period.

For what its worth, I do think that all the players you mentioned have the ability or potential to be considered in the top 10 midfielders in the competition for a 11 game interval.

Look at the 2005 draft as a comparison. Thats his vintage. He should be compared to the Marc Murphy's and Dale Thomas'. No point comparing him to this years draft. He's definitely in the top 20 from that group. He's probably better than 1/2 the top 10 and most of the players ranked 10-20. There's a few standouts, Bernie Vince at 32 was an excellent selection.

Given his form this year, he should be ranked in the top 10 from his draft. Despite it taking him 4 drafts to get noticed.

most sense anyone has made yet

Yep.

Lets just assume that Barlow does not improve and maintains his current form, would anyone at the dockers be upset? I don't think so.

He is currently being considered as an AA, that is not bad for a player from any draft. He would be a strong chance of moving into the first round based on his AFL output to this point.

Top 20 picks from 2005 (same age as barlow)

Marc Murphy
Dale Thomas
Xavier Ellis
Josh Kennedy
Scott Pendlebury
Beau Dowler
Patrick Ryder
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
Mitchell Clark
Marcus Drum
Shaun Higgins
Nathan Jones
Shannon Hurn
Grant Birchall
Travis Varcoe
Richard Douglas
Darren Pfeiffer
Max Bailey
Courtenay Dempsey
Paul Bower

Bolded are the players who i think are in front of barlow at this stage of their careers.

So based on that he would of gone at around 6 imo. Obviously that is variable to needs.

Top 20 picks from 2005 (same age as barlow)

Marc Murphy
Dale Thomas
Xavier Ellis
Josh Kennedy
Scott Pendlebury
Beau Dowler
Patrick Ryder
Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls
Mitchell Clark
Marcus Drum
Shaun Higgins
Nathan Jones
Shannon Hurn
Grant Birchall
Travis Varcoe
Richard Douglas
Darren Pfeiffer
Max Bailey
Courtenay Dempsey
Paul Bower

Bolded are the players who i think are in front of barlow at this stage of their careers.

So based on that he would of gone at around 6 imo. Obviously that is variable to needs.

Not a bad reply, definitely highlights that he would be a certainty to go first round (Knowing what we know now).

Potentially a bit harsh of Paddy Ryder, Higgins at this stage is the best player from that draft and I'd argue Marc Murphy is still very inconsistent and the blues would prefer Barlow running around.

Amazing how many "front runners" were taken in that draft, which probably further raises Barlow's value.

I should also point out the gamble that is the first round, Ellis,Dowler, Oakley-Nicholls etc have struggled...Bigfooty has a habit of putting far too much value to a draft number.

Nah mate I'd rather Murphy any day of the week. From the list above I'd have him behind: Murphy, Pendlebury, Ryder, Hurn, Bower, Kennedy, Clark.
And on par with: Thomas, Higgins, Varcoe

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, I'm sure 4 years back there was good reason for him not being picked (i.e. wasnt built up, underperformed at junior carnivals etc.) but he has shown that hard work and endeavour can cover for that.

LOL. :eek:

Andrew Swallow?
I'd argue Marc Murphy is still very inconsistent and the blues would prefer Barlow running around.
:rolleyes:

I wouldn't delist Grigg to put Barlow on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back