Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get how so many people had problems going to the bathroom yesterday. There were gazillions available (at least in the ladies') under the Heroes Stand.

MEB I think the point we are trying to make is yes as a one off event yesterday it was kinda fun and quirky but it isn't going to roll on an ongoing basis. I doubt if they decided to upgrade the Western Oval and make us play some home games against interstate clubs there many of us would be overly excited.

I love Princes Park and it has always been our home but it is time to move on. It will never be a current AFL standard venue.

Can vaguely remember in the late 90's we had both Footscray & Fitzroy playing there in front of 5k crowds.

Essendon had a few home games there as well, think it had something to do with too many clubs playing at the MCG.

Yeah I am certain that both of those clubs had to play home games there at some point.

MEB I think the point we are trying to make is yes as a one off event yesterday it was kinda fun and quirky but it isn't going to roll on an ongoing basis. I doubt if they decided to upgrade the Western Oval and make us play some home games against interstate clubs there many of us would be overly excited.

I love Princes Park and it has always been our home but it is time to move on. It will never be a current AFL standard venue.
Very good point, you cant go back

Plus nostalgia wears thin.

Yesterday was fun. Even inadequate stuff like terrible signage, queues to the food stalls /toilets that made it almost impossible to squeeze past to the next Bay were 'quaint and funny'.

You go to a few games like that and it loses its charm, then you start thinking 'ffs, I can see why we moved to Etihad'...
You'll go to PP and like it young man!!

Can vaguely remember in the late 90's we had both Footscray & Fitzroy playing there in front of 5k crowds.

Essendon had a few home games there as well, think it had something to do with too many clubs playing at the MCG.
I was at our last home game there; against the Crows in 1997. Mark Harvey's and Chris Daniher's final games.

This is my point though Doss. It is fine as nostalgic Carlton supporters who grew up going to the place and still love it to say we could do a half baked makeover and everything would be fine but the Footscray supporters would not see it that way. How we watch footy and the venues we watch it at and the facilities have come a long way in the last 10 years and there are many now who do not want to go back.

Plus nostalgia wears thin.

Yesterday was fun. Even inadequate stuff like terrible signage, queues to the food stalls /toilets that made it almost impossible to squeeze past to the next Bay were 'quaint and funny'.

You go to a few games like that and it loses its charm, then you start thinking 'ffs, I can see why we moved to Etihad'...
Yes, there are good points here. It's hard to reverse what have become base expectations.

In say 2001 (I only name that because, before yesterday, that's when I last went to a game there), those quirks were still accepted as being just part and parcel of going to the footy at PP. 15 years later, with the ground having seen no footy for 11 years? Probably not for many, Carlton supporters included but even more so for non-Blues fans who don't have the same nostalgic association with the place.

I wasn't making commentary on the AFL standard of the ground, I was just wondering how people had trouble finding a toilet. There were more in that stand than there are in some sections of the MCG.

I wasn't making commentary on the AFL standard of the ground, I was just wondering how people had trouble finding a toilet. There were more in that stand than there are in some sections of the MCG.

No idea, I could not help you there. I refused to go to the game due to the deplorable state of the toilet facilities! :)

Needs to be a TAB and pokies on site again too.
theres some nostalgia in that old tab for me...i spent a bit of time in their with my dad and rhys-jones during a game...was an absolute hoot!
my memories of the old social club after games are plentiful too... the players didnt mind joining the antics after a game i can tell you!

theres some nostalgia in that old tab for me...i spent a bit of time in their with my dad and rhys-jones during a game...was an absolute hoot!
my memories of the old social club after games are plentiful too... the players didnt mind joining the antics after a game i can tell you!
They'd be hung, drawn and quartered for it these days.

Fitzroy never played in front of a 5k crowd at Princes Park. The lowest crowd for a Fitzroy game at the venue was Round 21 1993 when Fitzroy played the Brisbane Bears in front of 6,214. The lowest crowd at Princes Park during the 90s was actually a Hawthorn home game when Hawthorn played the Bears in front of 5,741 people in Round 13 1991.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea, I could not help you there. I refused to go to the game due to the deplorable state of the toilet facilities! :)
Most of the poo was produced inside the fence yesterday.

We are only looking at this from a Carlton supporters view point with a very rosy picture of days gone by. There is no way any opposition supporters nowadays would be happy sitting in a derelict, old fashioned stadium to watch their team play. Cannot see the logic in upgrading a stadium for just Carlton to play 4 games per year?
reckon norf, footscray, demons, could also do their games against gws & perhaps the suns at PP & actually make themselves a dollar instead of losing a heap at Etihad or the G.

reckon norf, footscray, demons, could also do their games against gws & perhaps the suns at PP & actually make themselves a dollar instead of losing a heap at Etihad or the G.

Was just looking at the 2016 fixture and there is nearly one game per round featuring the Giants, Suns & Lions which could be played at an alternative venue.

After going to the footy on Sunday the topic of Optus Oval being used for home and away matches has come up again. I would love it, but i was wondering what do people think it would cost?

I am putting $30 million up, which i am just plucking from no where in particular.

This is where it would get costly and may make the project unachievable.

No new stands required, just a small upgrade of the Pratt, Legends and Elliott stands. There were 18,000 there on Sunday so in theory 7,000 more to hit the magic 25K. Three games a year against interstate clubs, home ground to a womans team and the northern blues and the place would feel like a real club again.

Creative planning could get 7,000 extra seats easy, there is a big gap between the Pratt stand and the new HQ, the Elliott stands top tier is only half used and an extension of the legends stand should be possible.

You mentioned two reviews have been done, where is the info on these?

If only Collo wasnt thinking of lining his own pockets and had a bit of foresight and not signed away our fiture to docklands we would be the strongest club n the league with our own home ground, only need to look at what it does for the Cats.. this is also forgetting onfield how big a fortress it was for us and gave us a huge advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back