Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL needs a boutique ground. One that wont cripple teams financially should they have to play a game which traditionally draws a low crowd. Some of the losses not just Carlton but other teams are incurring playing home games at Etihad are insane.

Significant funds would need to be put into Ikon park to bring it up to scratch but the basic framework is there.

The AFL needs a boutique ground. One that wont cripple teams financially should they have to play a game which traditionally draws a low crowd. Some of the losses not just Carlton but other teams are incurring playing home games at Etihad are insane.

Significant funds would need to be put into Ikon park to bring it up to scratch but the basic framework is there.

IF the Dees can sell games to Alice Springs and Darwin, and the Dogs can sell games to Cazalys stadium, we should be able to sell our games to Princes Park - even in the condition its in, it beats all three of these locations.

The AFL will own Etihad soon.

Gillon has plans for it , he's mentioned it a few times.

But I still think we need a stadium of 25-35k because empty seats look s**t on telly and (from the few times I've been to Etihad) it's soulless when there's about 30k there.

19k to a death trap . Imagine how many would go to a quaint stadium, doesn't need to be the latest and greatest for people to enjoy the experience .

Not in the flesh.

I wouldn't say bellerive is the target given its only 20,000 capacity. Need at least 30,000, and those seats have to go somewhere.

You dont need 30,000 at all. 20,000 would be fine for this. Then you do what Geelong to and sell separate memberships for the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we need to start taking this seriously. Carlton are rising up the ladder rapidly. Etihad is not the answer, but wouldn't we scare the rest of the competition by getting our REAL home ground back. Against GWS, GCS, PORT etc we could easily pull 35-40K. I know the CEO has said it would cost alot of money, but it would be worth upgrading building up the stands. PS Remember we are Carlton!!!

If we are EASILY going to pull 35-40000, you are going to play those games at Etihad (under a new venue contract) or even at the MCG. ;)

In any case as sure as eggs the AFL
wont be able to sell Etihad quick enough once they get ownership of it. $1 billion plus ;)

There will always be another friendly investment consortium willing to put up another 60000 seat stadium in Melbourne if the AFL guaranteed games there ;)

Who knows it may be at Princes Park - but I doubt it.

The problem with a lot of things at football clubs, governments etc is that issues like this take foresight, long planning and are somewhat difficult decisions. Economically, Princes Park, for a number of reasons, could be a financial cash cow for our club. It would also help reinforce the "one club, one tribe" the club is trying to instill in the supporter base.

Unfortunately, it would be expensive and take a lot of dedicated time. For me, the club has huge sentimental value and is an asset we are not extracting full value out of. I just wish someone like Pratt who had the vision and $$ would get passionate about this again.

This would energise our club and supporters in an incredible way :(

You dont need 30,000 at all. 20,000 would be fine for this. Then you do what Geelong to and sell separate memberships for the ground.
How many home games did we have this season with less than 25,000 attendees, let alone 20,000.

Reduce the number of games in a membership, and you reduce its value and therefore profitability. 30,000 members missing out ain't what a growing club should be aiming for.

We had a shocker last year, with several sub 20k games, but with things on the improve, we must expect higher attendances.

If you can hardly use it, it's not worth the investment. Somewhat of a catch 22.

I think we need to start taking this seriously. Carlton are rising up the ladder rapidly. Etihad is not the answer, but wouldn't we scare the rest of the competition by getting our REAL home ground back. Against GWS, GCS, PORT etc we could easily pull 35-40K. I know the CEO has said it would cost alot of money, but it would be worth upgrading building up the stands. PS Remember we are Carlton!!!

Interesting to dig this up as a 1st post. Just sayin. I don't mind the the idea BTW.

How many home games did we have this season with less than 25,000 attendees, let alone 20,000.

Reduce the number of games in a membership, and you reduce its value and therefore profitability. 30,000 members missing out ain't what a growing club should be aiming for.

Actually you dont. You actually gain money, because our total ground rental at princes park per year is less than a hundred thousand dollars. And we arent talking playing every game there, big games will still go to the G, and we'll still play games at Etihad. We're talking about the games against Port, GWS, Gold Coast and Fremantle that we could easily accommodate at Princes Park. 4 games a year - the same amount that Hawthorn play at York Park - and the club makes all the money from the game.

We had a shocker last year, with several sub 20k games, but with things on the improve, we must expect higher attendances.

If you can hardly use it, it's not worth the investment. Somewhat of a catch 22.

Attendance isnt everything in stadium economics. Clubs at the MCG recieve less than 40% of revenue from games, and Etihad is even lower. At Princes Park the Blues would receive more than 90%. York Park for instance has a capacity of less than 18,000 while the Hawks play the remaining games at the MCG - they took home 4.3 million in match returns last year - more than double what Carlton did.

I get all that, but hawks also have to pay other clubs so that their members can have replacement games in Melbourne right? That's not an option if the games are in melbourne

I get all that, but hawks also have to pay other clubs so that their members can have replacement games in Melbourne right? That's not an option if the games are in melbourne

Geelong manage quite fine with a Kardinia Park membership, and Melbourne membership options. There is no reason we couldnt do the same.

Actually you dont. You actually gain money, because our total ground rental at princes park per year is less than a hundred thousand dollars. And we arent talking playing every game there, big games will still go to the G, and we'll still play games at Etihad. We're talking about the games against Port, GWS, Gold Coast and Fremantle that we could easily accommodate at Princes Park. 4 games a year - the same amount that Hawthorn play at York Park - and the club makes all the money from the game.
Its not worth the little extra money we get. When the club is going well, we easily could get 40,000-50,000 at those games. Thats 20,000-30,000 missing out on seeing the game. Plus the money spent by the club getting the stadium up to AFL standard that comes off the income of those 4 games. We are just too big for the stadium.

Its not worth the little extra money we get. When the club is going well, we easily could get 40,000-50,000 at those games. Thats 20,000-30,000 missing out on seeing the game. Plus the money spent by the club getting the stadium up to AFL standard that comes off the income of those 4 games. We are just too big for the stadium.

How much difference do you think there is between 100% of the revenue for 20,000 and 40% of the revenue for 40,000.? (Crowd figures Ill note are rare against non victorian sides even when we are traveling well)

Look I know my first comment may have seamed a bit arrogant, but if we are going to be successful it all starts from your clubs culture. This ground has been our home for since the 1900's, we are one of the only Victorian clubs to still train on our ground and it holds about 25 000, a few upgrades round the back would made it doable. Agreed about the tassie grounds and TIO holding less than Ikon Park.
By the way I am 15

Last edited:
Forget the dollar advantage, forget the history and culture, forget the members belonging, forget everything but just think of this....when we play interstate the advantage onfield for those teams is immense. Now think of that fortress for us against them, think of the 50-50 or even 40-60 games suddenly be 70-30 in our favour due to 'home ground'. That is what top interstate clubs are enjoying and will keep enjoying while us Vic clubs share public park land .....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back