Is it gonna get worse before it gets better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

If we were to finish bottom 2, then we must become audacious and get both Rowell AND Anderson to the club

Best 2 players in the draft, best mates, imagine they play together, they’re going NO WHERE!!
add LDU, Simpkin and Ahern etc to the mix and you potentially have the most dynamic young midfield in the league
One in a million chance I know, but do whatever it takes North

Whether it involves trades/ future picks for the Crows, do not die wondering, have a crack Roos

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The idea of getting the top 2 midfielders who happen to be best mates into the club is pretty bloody appealing.

But it's hard to imagine anything as Clarke is King says that is going to shift a club off using the #1 pick.

The sort of creative minds needed to come up with a way to do this are certainly not currently at the club anyway. Hawthorn or Essendon would probably be able to cook up some means of doing it.

Yeah Higgins and Dumont aren't going to get you the top pick in the draft.

Any players mentioned are only half of the deal

Next years first would have to be on the table as well
And with a young list, that could realistically be a top 3 pick

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

im going to get pretty annoyed if we win more than 3 of our remaining games with the same lineup.
Play the young guys and rest the senior players for one last go next year.
If we lose every game players the young blokes then so be it.
If some senior players wish to leave at the end of the year then help them find a place elsewhere.

Scott, LDU, Ahern, Simpkin, Mckay, Xerri, Larkey, Durdin, Thomas, Watson, Jed, Garner, let them all play and develop.
Then leave the likes of Hall, Tyson, Campbell, Turner, Wood, to see if they can get it together.
Anyone who needs surgery let them relax for the rest of the year.

Unfortunately, Brad Scoot will only think about himself, therefor this wont happen.

Any players mentioned are only half of the deal

Next years first would have to be on the table as well
And with a young list, that could realistically be a top 3 pick

We would need to be including someone like Thomas or LDU to get the top pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, Brad Scoot will only think about himself, therefor this wont happen.

The problem is that what Brad Scott thinks is the team that gives him the best chance of winning games and what actually is the best team doesn’t match up. It’s always been a blind spot for match committee under his tenure – he rates stability and “the best 22” more than just about any other coach IMO. Win game, keep the same 22 (they’ve earned it). Lose game, keep the same 22 (back them in). There a magical best 22 in his mind that all know their perfect role. It’s the reason Maj couldn’t get a game even when outperforming a declining Petrie. It’s the reason Boomer had to get moved on (because Brad would just continue to play him in the middle instead of moving him out to the HFF). His loyalty and stubbornness hurts him more than anyone else in the end. No team in the league will ever have the same best 22 players from start to end of the year but he seems incapable of ever recognising this and injecting fresh talent. It’s the reason a player that has been average for the last 2 years in Lmac gets rushed back in as if he is peak Wells).

This has been Brad’s problem for years, he is his own worst enemy. He’s playing teams to save his job but those teams are the opposite of what will save his job. Like a dog chasing its tail and never understanding that even if it ever manages to catch that tail it won’t result in the joy that they hoped for.

Edit: PS - Before anyone gets into me about it not being the players that are the problem (agree at a high level) I can't agree. I'm a believer that selection and the way teams manage ins and outs shapes the culture of the playing team significantly. It says as much to the group as any amount of team review and meetings.

We would need to be including someone like Thomas or LDU to get the top pick.

Which is obviously never going to happen. We'll get 2 decent picks this year. I'd suggest an open ear might get a few extra picks in the door around the 20-40 range without crippling the club in the medium term. Otherwise, we back what there is of the list that is <30 to not turn out such an atrocious year next year (under a new coach). I may be naive but I refuse to believe that this list is not capable of competitive football with the right systems in place.

Last edited:
Otherwise, we back what there is of the list that is <30 to not turn out such an atrocious year next year (under a new coach). I may be naive but I refuse to believe that this list is not capable of competitive football with the right systems in place.

Agree. Said this elsewhere but I maintain that the national rookie drafts excluding a small percentage of really good (eg Dean Cox as a rookie) and really bad (eg Jack Watts at #1) outlier players is largely even with most of the success after that coming down to the merits of each club's systems.

In the 1st 2 rounds of the ND clubs generally match up to the phantom drafts +/- a few picks. So it's not like the top teams brilliantly go against the grain with all their picks.

That all means that it'd be very hard to deliberately build a really strong or really weak list purely on drafting alone. Chances are you walk away with a median grade list no matter what you do with everything after that stemming from development, coaching, culture, team maturity etc.

So....... chances are our list is currently middle of the ladder standard - top coach could take it higher, a poor coach could take it lower.

Nope.

I struggle to see how it could get much worse than it's already been this season.

As Dylan says, you can always lose a little more.

I reckon Carlton thought it couldn't get any worse a few weeks ago, and then it did.

Until Brad's gone, it can get worse and worse unto levels we never imagined.

The only thing Adelaide will trade that pick 1 for is Brodie Grundy.

There's literally nothing we could give Collingwood for Grundy to ontrade to Adelaide in a three way (hur hur, three way, 69, Tender Touch, hur hur every s**t North board joke ever) deal.

If we get pick two, we'll get a gun talent in the Taranto, Kelly, Brayshaw type level.

That's gunna be nice, but our issue isn't a lack of talent, it is the deadshit coach who is hanging round like the bloke at a party waiting for everyone to leave so he can sexually assaualt the girl passed out on the couch.

That's gunna be nice, but our issue isn't a lack of talent, it is the deadshit coach who is hanging round like the bloke at a party waiting for everyone to leave so he can sexually assaualt the girl passed out on the couch.

To paraphrase the great C.M Burns 'crude but I'll allow it'.

To paraphrase the great C.M Burns 'crude but I'll allow it'.

Old Chiefy thinks offensive content has to be pics or words the swear filter can pick up.

As some bag of microchips could ever get in the way of me being offensive if I set my mind to it.

Probably repeating what KC said but if we get a top two pick then it's more practical to get top 30/40 picks to augment it (assuming typical distribution of talent amongst the prospects).

I'm sorry but trading Cunnington is insane.

Especially given what we'd get for him on the open market is waaaaay below what we'd want to expect.

im going to get pretty annoyed if we win more than 3 of our remaining games with the same lineup.
Play the young guys and rest the senior players for one last go next year.
If we lose every game players the young blokes then so be it.
If some senior players wish to leave at the end of the year then help them find a place elsewhere.

Scott, LDU, Ahern, Simpkin, Mckay, Xerri, Larkey, Durdin, Thomas, Watson, Jed, Garner, let them all play and develop.
Then leave the likes of Hall, Tyson, Campbell, Turner, Wood, to see if they can get it together.
Anyone who needs surgery let them relax for the rest of the year.

The name for this is tanking

The only thing Adelaide will trade that pick 1 for is Brodie Grundy.

There's literally nothing we could give Collingwood for Grundy to ontrade to Adelaide in a three way (hur hur, three way, 69, Tender Touch, hur hur every **** North board joke ever) deal.

If we get pick two, we'll get a gun talent in the Taranto, Kelly, Brayshaw type level.

I wish I could double like just for the colourful metaphor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back