Player Watch Is Jordan Dawson the best value trade in the last couple of years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not bad but I'm only listing players currently playing. Not a full history. Bock hasn't played in about 20 years

But agree u have definitely lost a few gooduns along the way.

You've done ok on "come home" players like Dawson and Rankine.

The Swans have zero "come home" players.
That's because you dont let them leave with the academy system.

Not bad but I'm only listing players currently playing. Not a full history. Bock hasn't played in about 20 years

But agree u have definitely lost a few gooduns along the way.

You've done ok on "come home" players like Dawson and Rankine.

The Swans have zero "come home" players.

Blakey via your Academy was a pretty awesome rort.

I really wish a Crows fan hadn't started this thread.

Yes, we got excellent value for him, but there's been plenty of trades like this. We were on the receiving end of it from Geelong when we gave Danger for hardly anything for instance.
It's Swings and roundabouts, isn't it.
Would i still like Dawson in the team? Absolutely. Do i think we can "make him up in the aggregate" moneyball style with Blakey / Campbell types, yeah maybe.

If we were going to 100% get a traded player back, I'd pick Aliir first and Dawson second though.

I think Dawson was the perfect choice for what Adelaide needed though. A level headed all arounder with no ego or conflict. Previous leaders (Tex I'm looking at you) have lacked ... tact? Poise? Can't really find the right term. Professionalism? Anyway. Happy for the crows.

Until they beat us, then * 'em, of course

It's Swings and roundabouts, isn't it.
Would i still like Dawson in the team? Absolutely. Do i think we can "make him up in the aggregate" moneyball style with Blakey / Campbell types, yeah maybe.

If we were going to 100% get a traded player back, I'd pick Aliir first and Dawson second though.

I think Dawson was the perfect choice for what Adelaide needed though. A level headed all arounder with no ego or conflict. Previous leaders (Tex I'm looking at you) have lacked ... tact? Poise? Can't really find the right term. Professionalism? Anyway. Happy for the crows.

Until they beat us, then * 'em, of course
The bolded bit is staggering. Alir Alir is a good intercept player...as is Dawson. Thats where it ends as Dawson has Alir Alir covered in spades all over the rest of the ground

I think you might be a real outlier with that call

That's because you dont let them leave with the academy system.

Blakey via your Academy was a pretty awesome rort.

Thank god the AFL give you gifts like Heeney Mills and Blakey.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

The bolded bit is staggering. Alir Alir is a good intercept player...as is Dawson. Thats where it ends as Dawson has Alir Alir covered in spades all over the rest of the ground

I think you might be a real outlier with that call
Should probably clarify that with "right now". Looking at our list profile we're lacking in options behind the ball and Dawson is better utilised wing forward and our options down back are a risky McCartin, a Young McCartin and an Ageing Rampe.

If you had of asked me when each player was leaving I might have had a different answer

Witts for 44 and 62 would be pretty high on the list
Collingwood fans at the time were ropeable with what was being offered for him. He was much better than that. Just Grundy was better at the time and he wanted to play more senior footy.

Funnily enough, he was offered to GWS the year prior as part of the Treloar deal, but didn't want to leave the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peter Wright for a future 4th beats this trade in my opinion. Both went for less than they were worth, but Wright was obscenely cheap given his output since.

Aliir Aliir for a future 2nd was also great.

The Pies effectively paid the dogs to take Adam Treloar.
Are you saying we did well out of that?

Jack Steele for a second rounder (Brent Daniels I think?) is pretty decent value

Not really as The Crows lowballed/black mailed the Swans into accepting their deal with the threat of the PSD.

It was manipulative and sneaky by the Crows, the Swans knew they were losing a quality player for unders.

But good luck to the Crows for playing the PSD card. More clubs should do it imo
Supporting parasitic behaviour, spoken like a true cellar dweller blues supporter.

Was a top 3 player in a side that just catapulted up the ladder back into finals, rated elite in his position.

6 brownlow votes for a guy playing his position is a bigger deal than 11 for midfielder playing as a primary mid so not sure what point you are making there.
You are just trying to vindicate your position.
He wasnt an A grader. Never AA. Never B&F. He came 9th the year before.
He was a B grader at AFL level. If you are saying a guy who got 6 Brownlow votes, finished 9th and 3rd in the B&F as his best results is an A grader, then Ben Keays with what he showed in the same two seasons would be well and truly an A grader. Guess what? Ben Keays isn't an A grader, and while Dawson is becoming a legit A grader now, he wasnt one at the time he was traded. They got a first round pick that ended up at 18. In 2023 it looks like the Crows got a great deal.
GWS wanted a first rounder for Hatley when he came to us. The 2nd rounder we offered was a disgrace. Well, it looks like if we gave up a second for him we would have been robbed.

He was a B grader at AFL level. If you are saying a guy who got 6 Brownlow votes, finished 9th and 3rd in the B&F as his best results is an A grader, then Ben Keays with what he showed in the same two seasons would be well and truly an A grader. Guess what? Ben Keays isn't an A grader, and while Dawson is becoming a legit A grader now, he wasnt one at the time he was traded. They got a first round pick that ended up at 18. In 2023 it looks like the Crows got a great deal.
GWS wanted a first rounder for Hatley when he came to us. The 2nd rounder we offered was a disgrace. Well, it looks like if we gave up a second for him we would have been robbed.

You are arguing with Swans fans. Only we can determine how much we valued Dawson, not you. It is like us trying to tell you how much you love your mother.

I think we were out for blood due to the whole Tippett debacle.

Nope. We were out for it due to nothing more than dumb luck. After all, we held a late first we could anchor on. We'd have done the same to Gold Coast a year later if we were in a position to do so.

It was just Sydneys misfortune they were forced into that situation and not a year later where we lacked that flexibility.

Nah its a fact he was rated as elite in his position in his final year at the Swans as was his B&F finish.

When guys like him rocket upwards & help get the team from lowly finishes to 5th on the ladder at the end of the season it's pretty obvious what's going on. The season we poached him he was definitely A grade, maybe an A- if you want to be technical but he was making big progress the last couple years it was pretty apparent why we targeted him. Adelaide knew they weren't targeting a 'b' grader. You do realise when clubs go after talent they generally have to pay for potential upside in players still honing their craft right? Do you think the Crows would pay $650k for a b grader in the position he was traded over here for?

Irony is you saying about someone else vindicating their position when you clearly never watched him play or maybe saw 1-2 games. For people who watched him play seriously they know whats up & where he was tracking.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back