Player Watch Is Jordan Dawson the best value trade in the last couple of years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jordan Dawson got to the Crows with a pick that was around 18 in the 2022 draft (Sydney traded it out).
His rise since coming to Adelaide aa a 24 year old has been massive. From an excellent first season to a breakout 2023 so far where he moved into the midfield and looks every bit as good as any in the guts. He is also the club captain.

All that for pick 18?

Has to be one of the best trades done in the last few years.

He just seems such a good all rounder..can go back and be a key swingman in defense, can go forward and hit the scoreboard and from distance, then run him on ball and he is a beast..then look at the kicking efficiency...!!. Can take contested marks with the best of them and is a great decision maker and an onfield leader that can kick crunch goals.

Not too many weaknesses in his game to be honest

Not really as The Crows lowballed/black mailed the Swans into accepting their deal with the threat of the PSD.

It was manipulative and sneaky by the Crows, the Swans knew they were losing a quality player for unders.

But good luck to the Crows for playing the PSD card. More clubs should do it imo

Not really as The Crows lowballed/black mailed the Swans into accepting their deal with the threat of the PSD.

It was manipulative and sneaky by the Crows, the Swans knew they were losing a quality player for unders.

But good luck to the Crows for playing the PSD card. More clubs should do it imo
swings and roundabouts there..we lost Hugh greenwood to GC for less than a packet of chips with the PSD threat and a certain martin from GC lobbed at Carlton from memory with the PSD threat looming large. It is a tool bottom ranked clubs have and while it sucks to be on the wrong end of it, one day the shoe will be on the other foot

Peter Wright for a future 4th beats this trade in my opinion. Both went for less than they were worth, but Wright was obscenely cheap given his output since.

Aliir Aliir for a future 2nd was also great.

The Pies effectively paid the dogs to take Adam Treloar.

swings and roundabouts there..we lost Hugh greenwood to GC for less than a packet of chips with the PSD threat and a certain martin from GC lobbed at Carlton from memory with the PSD threat looming large. It is a tool bottom ranked clubs have and while it sucks to be on the wrong end of it, one day the shoe will be on the other foot

That's all valid and true, but the Swans at the time were absolutely livid and felt they got gazzumped (which history says is true)

I honestly think the Darcy Cameron trade to Collingwood for pick 56 (ironically from the Swans) is the best value for dollar trade under the criteria of it.

The Lewis Young trade to Carlton was also a decent bit of trading by us.

That's all valid and true, but the Swans at the time were absolutely livid and felt they got gazzumped (which history says is true)

I honestly think the Darcy Cameron trade to Collingwood for pick 56 (ironically from the Swans) is the best value for dollar trade under the criteria of it.

The Lewis Young trade to Carlton was also a decent bit of trading by us.
The swans still got a 1st round pick which from memory was 15 or 16 - so its not junk that was given up

Jarryd Lyons for free

Peter Wright for a 4th Rounder

Pick 7 coming with a free Jack Bowes

The swans still got a 1st round pick which from memory was 15 or 16 - so its not junk that was given up

Fair enough, but then it flies in the face of the best value trade in recent times, when as I point out, Collingwood got Cameron and Carlton Young both crucial players to their structure for a lot less than what Adelaide paid for Dawson.

No doubt it was a fantastic trade for The Crows (and a cultural changing one for your footy club for the better) but in terms of tehvalue of the asset/pick(s) given up, Darcy Cameron to the Pies is still the best value for mine in recent years, he was incredibly stiff to miss out on the AA team last year.

According to most Crows supporters on bigfooty he was worth a late 2nd rounder at best, so no, unfortunately I think you've made a blunder and overpaid a bit there.
His trade value was for what he had done at Sydney, and he was a good B grade player there. That wasn't to say that you wernt correct in knowing that he could be an A grader.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His trade value was for what he had done at Sydney, and he was a good B grade player there. That wasn't to say that you wernt correct in knowing that he could be an A grader.
Umm

He finished 3rd in the Swans Best and Fairest in 2021....

Pretty sure we rated him as elite at that point in time...

Dawson
Nankervis
Cameron
Aliir
Hewett
Membrey
Rohan

All gone with not much in return for the Swans relative to their quality.
I'll raise you

Tippett
Gunston
Dangerfield
Bock
Davis

oops - that is an entire centre spine of a side that we go very very little back in return for

Then

B Crouch
H Greenwood
Lyons

I'll raise you

Tippett
Gunston
Dangerfield
Bock
Davis

oops - that is an entire centre spine of a side that we go very very little back in return for

Then

B Crouch
H Greenwood
Lyons
Not bad but I'm only listing players currently playing. Not a full history. Bock hasn't played in about 20 years

But agree u have definitely lost a few gooduns along the way.

You've done ok on "come home" players like Dawson and Rankine.

The Swans have zero "come home" players.

Not bad but I'm only listing players currently playing. Not a full history. Bock hasn't played in about 20 years

But agree u have definitely lost a few gooduns along the way.

You've done ok on "come home" players like Dawson and Rankine.

The Swans have zero "come home" players.
Fair call..but Sydney have also attracted some of the biggest names from interstate where the crows almost never have (not including returning home A born players)

Buddy
Lockett
Tippett (at the time you got him)
etc

Looks a gun, fantastic user of the ball too. Don’t think it beats getting a 50 goal per season KPF for a future 4th GC didn’t use but still solid. Will Setterfield for a future 4th is looking value too just quietly.

Jordan Dawson got to the Crows with a pick that was around 18 in the 2022 draft (Sydney traded it out).
His rise since coming to Adelaide aa a 24 year old has been massive. From an excellent first season to a breakout 2023 so far where he moved into the midfield and looks every bit as good as any in the guts. He is also the club captain.

All that for pick 18?

Has to be one of the best trades done in the last few years.
His rise since coming? He was already a gun player. Had already shown he was an AA level winger, and a gun mid, awesome down back, and very handy when playing as a forward too.
Go back and look at games from his last two seasons at Sydney.

According to most Crows supporters on bigfooty he was worth a late 2nd rounder at best, so no, unfortunately I think you've made a blunder and overpaid a bit there.
I had people on my own board laughing at me for saying he was easily worth what we were offering and more. Clearly they'd never seen him play and just had their blinkers on.

Drives me nuts how cheap people on Crows board think we need to pay for everyone else's good players then think we can charge a kings ransom when they come for ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back