Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 32 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looked it up and Geelong had 45 inside 50s against Carlton for a score of 18.10 118

In the qualifying final last year we had 69 inside 50s for a score of 7.11 53.

Quality > Quantity.

Just looked it up and Geelong had 45 inside 50s against Carlton for a score of 18.10 118

Quality > Quantity.

We're down on scoring but also down on conceding, so basically we've just made games even shitter than last year to watch

We're down on scoring but also down on conceding, so basically we've just made games even shitter than last year to watch
Nah I won't go that far. Even with as s**t as the first half against Richmond was, the ball was at least moving. I'll take that over watching us bomb it to a crowded forwardline followed by the oppo defence bombing it out to our defensive setup over and over and over.

That QF was madness. 100k crowd, massive final against our oldest rival and I've never been so bored at the footy.

Quality > Quantity.

We need both.

Our forward efficiency has improved from 14th to 8th.

Our inside 50s have gone from 1st to 13th.

Geelong are 3rd for goals per inside 50, and 7th for inside 50s.

If we went at last year's inside 50 rate, with this year's efficiency we would be top 4 for goals per game. 0.6 goals per game behind Geelong.

Nah I won't go that far. Even with as s**t as the first half against Richmond was, the ball was at least moving. I'll take that over watching us bomb it to a crowded forwardline followed by the oppo defence bombing it out to our defensive setup over and over and over.

That QF was madness. 100k crowd, massive final against our oldest rival and I've never been so bored at the footy.
That ball movement against Richmond was just being half pregnant. It was taking a small amount more risk but not really going for it. Was just a different shade of s**t to me. I'll agree about the final though I won $300 betting against us an I wanted the money more than the win cause we were so s**t to watch

We need both.

Our forward efficiency has improved from 14th to 8th.

Our inside 50s have gone from 1st to 13th.

Geelong are 3rd for goals per inside 50, and 7th for inside 50s.

If we went at last year's inside 50 rate, with this year's efficiency we would be top 4 for goals per game.
I mean those stats last year are indicative of the game style we played.

We cant get quality inside 50s with the old game plan so we've had to concede that to improve our efficiency.

But yes we can improve that stat playing a new game plan and potentially even more if we're willing to get hurt the other way from time to time.

I mean those stats last year are indicative of the game style we played.

We cant get quality inside 50s with the old game plan so we've had to concede that to improve our efficiency.

But yes we can improve that stat playing a new game plan and potentially even more if we're willing to get hurt the other way from time to time.

We've got to find the balance.

Last year it was too many trash inside 50s, this year it's simply not enough inside 50s now that we've improved the quality.

I don't think the game plan was 'let's get way less inside 50s so they're better', we're just not winning the ball in the middle enough.

Last year we were 3rd for clearance differential, this year we are 10th.

I don't want us to go back to win a clearance and bomb it forward, but we've slid too far down and that's why our scoring impact isn't there. Inside 50s are still important - Giants, Blues, Cats, Swans, Gold Coast and Port are all in the top 8 for inside 50s.

We're 13th.

There's something wrong somewhere - have a look at the points for. We are ~100 points behind our top 6 rivals.
Again, our strength isn't our offence. How are we ranked in defence? We're all obsessed with offence because we want to be entertained. But reality is our strength is in defence. I'm guessing we're ranked top 2 or 3 in defence and mid table for offence. That's probably as good as we can expect with the list we have.

We are the best team in the comp without the ball and a bottom 8 team with the ball. Either the big 3 in the middle lift or we are toast next two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quickfire list of current senior coaches in order I'd want them coaching Melbourne:
  1. Chris Scott
  2. Adam Kingsley
  3. Adem Yze
  4. Craig McRae
  5. Michael Voss
  6. John Longmire
  7. Ross Lyon
  8. Simon Goodwin
  9. Damien Hardwick
  10. Alastair Clarkson
  11. Adam Simpson
  12. Justin Longmuir
  13. Brad Scott
  14. Ken Hinkley
  15. Sam Mitchell
  16. Matthew Nicks
  17. Luke Beveridge
  18. Chris Fagan

Quickfire list of current senior coaches in order I'd want them coaching Melbourne:
  1. Chris Scott
  2. Adam Kingsley
  3. Adem Yze
  4. Craig McRae
  5. Michael Voss
  6. John Longmire
  7. Ross Lyon
  8. Simon Goodwin
  9. Damien Hardwick
  10. Alastair Clarkson
  11. Adam Simpson
  12. Justin Longmuir
  13. Brad Scott
  14. Ken Hinkley
  15. Sam Mitchell
  16. Matthew Nicks
  17. Luke Beveridge
  18. Chris Fagan
Adem Yze 3rd is insane

He's above about 10 premierships worth of coaches and done ⅖ of * all

Man, in fairness, I'm taking him as 'one of us'. And those situations rarely work out.

Beyond that, he's fresh, likable, and has 4 premierships as an assistant. Having a dude I like listening to who also cares about the club is two thumbs up.

I would've liked to see us boot Goody after 2022/3 and put Yze in. All too late now, but I reckon he'll be good for the Tigers if they can sort out their list management.

Balls to getting Clarkson or Hardwick in to be the faces of the club.

Man, in fairness, I'm taking him as 'one of us'. And those situations rarely work out.

Beyond that, he's fresh, likable, and has 4 premierships as an assistant. Having a dude I like listening to who also cares about the club is two thumbs up.

I would've liked to see us boot Goody after 2022/3 and put Yze in. All too late now, but I reckon he'll be good for the Tigers if they can sort out their list management.

Balls to getting Clarkson or Hardwick in to be the faces of the club.
Yeah fair enough can't argue there.

We are the best team in the comp without the ball and a bottom 8 team with the ball. Either the big 3 in the middle lift or we are toast next two weeks.
Yep. All these people b*ing and moaning about not being entertained, yet what have we got to entertain with? Our F50 is laughable and our mids are mostly contested beasts.

Being the best in defence for the past 5 years is bloody impressive and has at least given us a shot at winning flags. Maybe a small rebuild could bring change to the offensive side of things, but we just haven't got the cattle to do it. McAdam is at least a forward who leads. I'm not sure he's going to unlock this incredible offensive gameplan people want, but he'll no doubt help the F50.

Again, our strength isn't our offence. How are we ranked in defence? We're all obsessed with offence because we want to be entertained. But reality is our strength is in defence. I'm guessing we're ranked top 2 or 3 in defence and mid table for offence. That's probably as good as we can expect with the list we have.

We're 9th for average score, 1st for average score against. (4th for %)

We're also 8th for average winning margin, Geelong are 12th. Obviously they've won more games, but it shows we can score and put teams away.

Interestingly, we're also equal 6th with Geelong (the masters of rebuilding on the run) for number of players used so far. The only teams with more than us are North, Freo, WC, Suns and Tigers. Saw somewhere on the weekend we're also the equal number 1 team in the comp for playing players with less than 10 games experience.

We're 9th for average score, 1st for average score against. (4th for %)

We're also 8th for average winning margin, Geelong are 12th. Obviously they've won more games, but it shows we can score and put teams away.

Interestingly, we're also equal 6th with Geelong (the masters of rebuilding on the run) for number of players used so far. The only teams with more than us are North, Freo, WC, Suns and Tigers. Saw somewhere on the weekend we're also the equal number 1 team in the comp for playing players with less than 10 games experience.
I find stats in AFL during a season a little misleading tbh. The draw is all over the place and especially after 7 rounds, you haven't played half the comp yet. Some have easier draws than others etc. It might give a snap shot but doesn't tell the whole picture. The eye test is telling us Geelong and GWS are the teams to beat. Blues and Swans next bracket. Then us, Port and Pies. Dockers, Bombers, Dogs and Suns chasing. But there's not a great deal between the top 6 tbh. Will come down to injuries and timing of form.

Geelong are literally the only club in the past decade to win a flag without bottoming out. The full rebuild is absolutely the best way to build a team, it just looks terrible when it backfires. Do agree though Tasmania destroying the draft makes it a scary proposition in the next 3-4yr.
Might be the blueprint though. I really don’t know if it is to be honest, the full rebuild. Not working for Hawthorn or North Melbourne. Tasmania will gut the opportunities for any team who has bottomed out.

I find stats in AFL during a season a little misleading tbh. The draw is all over the place and especially after 7 rounds, you haven't played half the comp yet. Some have easier draws than others etc. It might give a snap shot but doesn't tell the whole picture. The eye test is telling us Geelong and GWS are the teams to beat. Blues and Swans next bracket. Then us, Port and Pies. Dockers, Bombers, Dogs and Suns chasing. But there's not a great deal between the top 6 tbh. Will come down to injuries and timing of form.

Absolutely. Agree on your ratings there.

I just find the trends really interesting, especially with Geelong. I'm not convinced their style is sustainable in finals so I'm keen to see if they start putting more focus on clearances as the year goes on. At the moment I don't think they're defensive enough at clearance to win the flag, but GWS are nailing it IMO, they're my flag tip as things stand so far. That can obviously change as the season develops though.

That's why this week is an really interesting one. I reckon we've been trying out the Geelong style somewhat but it's not quite working - Do we try and match it with them or do we go back to 'our style' and try to dominate clearances and inside 50s?

Back