Opinion Is Pendlebury a Good Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

We all bag Bucks for being Crap but Pendles been our Captain thru this Crap we have been Put Thru.

So I ask is Pendles the Right Man to be Captain as we have no Improvement with him being our Skipper?

He is as good as any. He is way too unselfish and has too much trust in those who cant dispose of the ball, that is his problem. He is not demonstrative like MAxwell was but you can see him trying to bring all his teammates into the game. He also shows by example.. his pressure acts are more than most of our players but he never gets any credit for this. It annoys me that people bag Pendles, he is stuck with what he has to work with

No, I created a thread last year asking this question and got smashed, he is a sensational player one of the best Collingwood has produced, Captain wise I have always thought his heart hasn't been in it, Pendles has always tried lead by just being a gun midfielder in my opinion.

The VFL final he missed and then turning up to the early preseason for the young blokes almost just to be seen for him to then leave a day later was pretty average.

I have always thought he has just kept the role for the high status in the AFL.

Adams is my choice.

We all bag Bucks for being Crap but Pendles been our Captain thru this Crap we have been Put Thru.

So I ask is Pendles the Right Man to be Captain as we have no Improvement with him being our Skipper?

I asked myself this yesterday.

I think he is good, not outstanding. He has good media skills, knowledge of the game and can obviously play. My question is though, is he a natural leader of men? Our past 5 captains had the above traits but were particularly hard at it - Maxwell, Burns, Buckley, Brown and Shaw. They really led by example with toughness on the field and all seemed very demanding of their team mates. IN other words they set the tone. Pendles, while his toughness can't be under rated (playing through injury), he doesn't strike me as someone who players look to and really feel committed to take their game to another level. He is very similar to Cotchin and Murphy in the captain department. Has been given the mantle of captain because of his work rate, talent and perhaps his friendship with the coach.

Is there anyone that could replace him? I don't think so. There doesn't seem to be any leaders on any line of the field this season. Even the leadership group is pretty thin with Sidebum and Adams both a long way off. In retrospect those mature age recruits in Harvey, Dal Santo, Mitchell and Lewis all look pretty good right now.

Where did we go wrong? We really lost a lot of experience last year - Cloke, Brown, Toovey, Swan, MaCaffer. Their loss can't be under rated as our results are now showing. Inexperience is a major factor in losing teams - just look at the GC Suns and GWS in their first 3 years. While the players are now proving to have lots of talent, they just had so much to learn early on.

if Beams had of stayed injury free he would have serious credentials for captaincy, despite his off field issues (early in his career). Whether Buckley would have given it to him, unlikely.

He is no Maxwell.
Pendles is the much better player, but a shadow of the leader Maxwell was as captain.
That said, he still would have been my pick at the time.
I'm not sure anyone is ready to take his place either.
I would love for him to be able to just concentrate on his own game for the remainder of his career though.

We are in a tough position.

What I found interesting was his comments about being questioned by the coach. Said he hasn't been feeling the best but that he was fit.

Definitely no Maxwell, can be a bit soft and not vocal enough on the field for mine. Could not see players not executing the coaches instructions in Maxy's time.

Clearly leads from the front on the training track, media wise and with his preparation. I think he is our best alternative at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To all those pumping up Maxy, I wonder what Nick would've been like if he'd played under Bucks.
It's not easy being a great captain if your side is coached poorly. Plus the team has gone through significant change in the last few years which makes it harder for a side to gel.
Pendles isn't a bad captain. The reality is that there are no real alternatives right now.

Leaders should compliment each other rather than reflect each other. I don't know either of them, but to me, Bucks and Pendles both come across as serious, never satisfied perfectionists who would pay enormous attention to errors and virtually ignore positives. For less confident or more emotional types, I don't think it would be much fun playing under them.

No, I created a thread last year asking this question and got smashed, he is a sensational player one of the best Collingwood has produced, Captain wise I have always thought his heart hasn't been in it, Pendles has always tried lead by just being a gun midfielder in my opinion.

The VFL final he missed and then turning up to the early preseason for the young blokes almost just to be seen for him to then leave a day later was pretty average.

I have always thought he has just kept the role for the high status in the AFL.

Adams is my choice.

I wouldn't go with Adams. He's not articulate enough.

My understanding(from a couple of players who played under Pendles) is that he is very well respected and looked up to. His professionalism and prep is 2nd to none. The areas he is not as strong in us his ability to bring the group together(Maxy from all reports was outstanding in this area) not a major knock and just his personality. From within the club Adams very well respected and well like by the majority of the playing group. Has huge expectations on his teammates but also very easy to talk to off field. Major cocern on Adams is ge still likes to party. Treloar would be the one I'd be looking at. Ticks all the professionalism and performances boxes and also very supportive and respectful of all players regardless of ability. Have been told he will talk to and help anyone.

Pendles has been a good captain. He's going through a bad patch at the moment is all, he will come out of it. Longer term I think Adams should take over in a couple of years.

IMO there are 2 performance criteria for a captain: they either need to improve themselves as a player leading the team and bring the team with them; or they sacrifice their own play a bit but really unite and improve the whole team.

Based on results and in game performance the best captains in recent times seem to have been Hodge, Mitchell, Tex, Maxy, Selwood, Boak, Pavlich and Ling.

Pendlebury doesn't appear to have any mongrel or strength in his character to pull people together. Of course he's a great player but there's no emphatic voice no aura like a great captain.

Pendles will be a better player again if he's released from captains duties. I think Adams is the only real choice.

I really think we lost the opportunity for our could have been next great captain when we traded Heath Shaw out. I really think he would have become a better person, better player and the team would have come together more to win those tight matches that good teams win and pulled us out of the mire in those rubbish games against the saints and the bombers

I thought we were done with this question last year. The answer is.. OK perhaps he's not the greatest captain going around but who would you put in his place ? No obvious candidates spring to my mind..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back