Is St Kilda actually making any progress under Alan Richardson ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a dig on you but the hype surrounding Goddard is completely out of control.

Apparently he's the next Chris Judd ("a monster"), yet he's not even good enough to get a game at the Saints.

"mad saint guy"... sounds like a very apt user name ;)
hes saying it for his size lmao

Yep. Don't think I've ever heard Chris Judd described as a 'monster'
I dunno, when he goes full Voldemort
BRwKRLmCIAA0oKj.jpg

Yep. Don't think I've ever heard Chris Judd described as a 'monster'
:(

lol, fair call!

Point still stands though: there's a lot of noise about how Goddard will end up being elite... I'm not even prepared to say that about any of the Demons kids- and there's three of them that have won a rising star nom this year, and two of the top 3 finishers (including the winner) last year.

If I said that I think the Saints are going places, would I still be hounded by a hoard of their supporters claiming that I don't know what a good rebuild looks like?

Or does it only go one way?

I think the Saints are going places, personally, but will have a list closer to North Melbourne than Geelong or Hawthorn. Its a good rebuild - better than Richmond but I'm not sure they have the star power to achieve the ultimate success.

If I said that I think the Saints are going places, would I still be hounded by a hoard of their supporters claiming that I don't know what a good rebuild looks like?

I think the Saints are going places, personally, but will have a list closer to North Melbourne than Geelong or Hawthorn. Its a good rebuild - better than Richmond but I'm not sure they have the star power to achieve the ultimate success.
That can change though if they manage to trade/sign a star midfielder. That's all they really lack IMO

We need to hit free agency.

I would go for O'meara but he his probably too much of a risk
I agree, but what if you don't take the risk and he goes on to be an absolute gun?
Sometimes you have to take risks to achieve the ultimate success.

I agree, but what if you don't take the risk and he goes on to be an absolute gun?
True true

Or try for presita or a gws castoff.

It is a very common opnion for saints supporters that we need a mids who can change game as we have the base and the workhorses but apart from a few players lack the x factor to change games.

Personally, I would be heavily targeting GWS's never-ending list of midfield talent, especially now that we hear they're supposedly in salary cap trouble already and will likely be even more so by the end of next season. I'd be throwing big offers to the likes of Hopper and M Kennedy and of course Shiel and Kelly (who's current contracts all end at the end of next season), because I highly doubt they'll be able to keep all of them, just like they weren't able to keep Treloar. I'd be happy for us to make the sort of offer you guys made to Boyd, to a Hopper (ie. one that he wouldn't be able to refuse and that GWS wouldn't be able to match, unless they were willing to let a Shiel/Kelly go instead, in which case I'd go hard for them).

Whilst I agree with you re McCartin, I don't see the value of quoting a puff piece in the Herald Sun to support your argument.
What else is Newnes going to say? I coudn't see him being quoted as saying a team mate is shite.
I agree with you. some of the articles are just terrible in all newspapers and the afl site.

even as a Saints supporter, what else would a guy say?

Whilst I agree with you re McCartin, I don't see the value of quoting a puff piece in the Herald Sun to support your argument.
What else is Newnes going to say? I coudn't see him being quoted as saying a team mate is shite.

Mccartin is the most explosive animal he's ever seen.

This conversation was had with many Carlton supporters about Liam Jones following it being mentioned that jones was talked up by the coach and captain in separate media outlets.

Some people get mesmerised by the spin because they are desperate for good media and will ignore anything that upsets their world

Personally, I would be heavily targeting GWS's never-ending list of midfield talent, especially now that we hear they're supposedly in salary cap trouble already and will likely be even more so by the end of next season. I'd be throwing big offers to the likes of Hopper and M Kennedy and of course Shiel and Kelly (who's current contracts all end at the end of next season), because I highly doubt they'll be able to keep all of them, just like they weren't able to keep Treloar. I'd be happy for us to make the sort of offer you guys made to Boyd, to a Hopper (ie. one that he wouldn't be able to refuse and that GWS wouldn't be able to match, unless they were willing to let a Shiel/Kelly go instead, in which case I'd go hard for them).
Imagine snaring Shiel away from GWS! That would be huge!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This conversation was had with many Carlton supporters about Liam Jones following it being mentioned that jones was talked up by the coach and captain in separate media outlets.

Some people get mesmerised by the spin because they are desperate for good media and will ignore anything that upsets their world

Most just watch people play and make judgement. McCartin looks every bit what he was talked up to be Boyd not so much.

Why do so many St Kilda supporters justify their rebuild with snarky Tom Boyd comments? Him and McCartin have similar impact when they play.

Heading in the right direction but still playing with a fair bit of experience in the side. Last week were the 9th oldest side and 8th in games experienced.

Played with 10 players over the age of 25, compare that to GWS 7, Bulldogs 6, or Melbourne 5, other teams higher than them are playing with a younger group of players which gives them more room for improvement in the current sides.

I think they should be getting more experience into more of their younger players.

Heading in the right direction but still playing with a fair bit of experience in the side. Last week were the 9th oldest side and 8th in games experienced.

Played with 10 players over the age of 25, compare that to GWS 7, Bulldogs 6, or Melbourne 5, other teams higher than them are playing with a younger group of players which gives them more room for improvement in the current sides.

I think they should be getting more experience into more of their younger players.

There are only so many really young ones we're going to play in the seniors each week, because if we played any more it would really affect our chances of actually winning games (which we need to be doing more of now), so given that we have 22 on our senior list alone who were 22yo or younger at the start of the year, obviously we're not going to be able to play all the ones in that group who we really think have a bright future in the seniors at the one time, as we would ideally like to be able to.

So they'll rotate in and out amongst themselves throughout the year, whereas if they were at some other clubs, some of them would be getting games most weeks, if there weren't so many others around their age and quality to compete for a spot with. (Eg, when we first got Jack Newnes, we played him basically every week, because we had very few quality kids and we thought he had a really bright future, but if we'd recruited him last draft, he might have struggled to get a game this year, because there are only so many spots available for the "developing kids" and we have so many more now.)

Those 3 other teams you mentioned also all started rebuilding/building before we did, so it's perfectly understandable that they have more in that 21yo-25yo age bracket for instance that are really good than we do and who they can play all of at the one time. If we had more who were really good in that age bracket, we wouldn't have to play some of the older guys who aren't great. We'll be closer to that point next year.

Plus, while AFL experience is great and all, you can still be developing well in the VFL and we have a handful of young ones consistently playing well in the VFL who will get their opportunities soon enough.

Lonie and Acres for example both went back the VFL last week and Acres had 38 disposals (after he had 34 in his last game there) and Lonie had 29, a bunch of clearances and 4 goals (to go with 32 and 3 goals in his other game there this year), while Eli Templeton had another 30 disposal game (yet none of them got upgraded this week!) and it also gives us a chance to play them in different roles to the ones they play when they're in the seniors.

Lonie for example has played a big chunk of his two games there in the guts, which is going to be really good for his development and give him experience in a role that he doesn't get much chance to play at AFL level and Acres also gets to learn the midfield craft a lot more at VFL level, as does Sinclair, when he plays there (27 and 4 goals in his last game for Sandringham). The fact that there are a bunch of them playing together pretty consistently for Sandringham will also help them to develop a good chemistry together, which ought to be good for when they're hopefully playing together for St Kilda further down the track.

Alan Richardson is extremely highly regarded in the industry for his development skills (was apparently regarded as arguably the best in the business at it when he had that development role at Collingwood) and it's pretty clear from his time with us so far that he is very comfortable with letting the young ones work on the parts of their games that need improving at VFL level. He knows what he's doing and he tends to make the young ones really earn their games, which I'm very OK with.

Last edited:

I know its only 11 games into his AFL career but please don't compare McCartin with Liam Jones.. He's showed way more than Jones ever did in his first season and a half

What are we calling "star power"? The ability to turn a game, or the ability to sell merchandise with their face on?

Just curious, as I think we have our fair share of both, though I do understand the side contains more than a few ordinary tradesman types. Like Richo himself, I guess.

Why do so many St Kilda supporters justify their rebuild with snarky Tom Boyd comments? Him and McCartin have similar impact when they play.
I brought up Boyd as a stat comparison to the assertion that Membrey was a VFL player, because as far I can see, he has out performed Boyd in his 4 games this year, and was asking the question, if Membrey is VFL quality, where does that leave Boyd? I asked a question. simple as that

I know its only 11 games into his AFL career but please don't compare McCartin with Liam Jones.. He's showed way more than Jones ever did in his first season and a half

Read my post properly. I was making a point about club media spin, not comparing the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back