Is St Kilda actually making any progress under Alan Richardson ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought up Boyd as a stat comparison to the assertion that Membrey was a VFL player, because as far I can see, he has out performed Boyd in his 4 games this year, and was asking the question, if Membrey is VFL quality, where does that leave Boyd? I asked a question. simple as that

They are completely different players, your comparison was as disingenuous as it was off-topic

Unless any of you have a crystal ball this banter is pointless. Maybe the Dogs have better youth, so what? Will it mean a thing if come 2054 they still have one flag only?
Maybe we have better youth, will mean just as much if we have one flag still come 2066.

Pretty sure both our teams are gonna be in the line waiting for the Giants era of dominance to end the same way we, Geelong, Sydney and West Coast were in the same queue waiting for Brisbanes era of awesomeness to finish.

I like the list the Saints are developing and I rate Richardson as a development coach.

Backline looks solid once Carlisle returns, Forward line looks very strong with McCartin and Bruce, not so sold on Membrey.

Midfield is developing, I was hoping we would get Sebby Ross in the Carlisle trade, Stevens is great and we would love to have young Billings at the bombers, too. Armitage has come along in leaps and bounds in the last couple of years and Hickey is competitive in the ruck and around the ground.

The big questions are how big the drop off will be once reiwoldt, fisher, dumpster and Montagna move on, whether Lonie and Templeton (who are both talented) can become AFL standard scoring options, whether they can get consistency out of Carlisle, Bruce and McCartin, and whether they can develop the necessary depth to compete deep into September.

Why do so many St Kilda supporters justify their rebuild with snarky Tom Boyd comments? Him and McCartin have similar impact when they play.

Tom Boyd is on one level

Mccartin is the most explosive animal he's ever seen.

This conversation was had with many Carlton supporters about Liam Jones following it being mentioned that jones was talked up by the coach and captain in separate media outlets.

Some people get mesmerised by the spin because they are desperate for good media and will ignore anything that upsets their world

Liam Jones is on a similar level

It's definitely McCartin's job to rise the conversation above both in the next 3-4 weeks. Interestingly his 10 marks last week were more than Jones has ever taken in a game (and a lot more than Boyd has ever taken), what he really needs now is that 5 goal break out game.

Midfield is developing, I was hoping we would get Sebby Ross in the Carlisle trade,

Yes horse has bolted now as Ross is having a break-out year.

He was probably going to have had it last season but had that serious injury after having looked brilliant in the pre-season games.

Funny read
Bigfooty home of defensive fans
Yes we lack in a number of areas
Need a gun small forward quietly
More midfield
Key back or 3️⃣?
Some taller mids aswell

They are completely different players, your comparison was as disingenuous as it was off-topic

Yes but they are there to do the same job take marks, kick goals and apply pressure.

How they go about it doesn't really matter too much in the end.

In my opinion Boyd will be a superstar but I can see why the comparison was made and be to outraged at such comparison is a bit silly.

Yes but they are there to do the same job take marks, kick goals and apply pressure.

How they go about it doesn't really matter too much in the end.

In my opinion Boyd will be a superstar but I can see why the comparison was made and be to outraged at such comparison is a bit silly.
But does a comparison need to be made about a bulldogs player in a thread about St Kilda's progress under Alan Richardson?

One does it as the #1 forward getting the best or 2nd best defender. The other gets much less scrutiny from opposing defences.

It's like Jack Lonie kicking more goals than mccartin. If mccartin actually gets the #2 defender (for as much as saints fans say Riewoldt plays on the wing he still spends a lot of time forward.

One does it as the #1 forward getting the best or 2nd best defender. The other gets much less scrutiny from opposing defences.

It's like Jack Lonie kicking more goals than mccartin. If mccartin actually gets the #2 defender (for as much as saints fans say Riewoldt plays on the wing he still spends a lot of time forward.
You clearly haven't watched us play.
McCartin has copped Ben Reid, Phil Davis, James Frawley, Matt Dea and I didn't see the Bulldogs game so can't comment.
I have no idea where you're getting the idea Paddy is getting easy opponents.

You clearly haven't watched us play.
McCartin has copped Ben Reid, Phil Davis, James Frawley, Matt Dea and I didn't see the Bulldogs game so can't comment.
I have no idea where you're getting the idea Paddy is getting easy opponents.

You mean 186cm flanker Matt Dea?

You do realise the best defender doesn't have to be the tallest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair a bunch of doggies supporters rubbished McCartin in another thread and started the comparison. That's where it stems from and the fact they were consecutive number 1 picks.
Fair enough, I do sense a St Kilda Bulldog big footy rivalry.
Pretty easy to see why we'd compare McCartin to Boyd. Both #1 pick key forwards, both will need time to get comfortable at AFL level.
They were only number 1 picks because those clubs chose them, Martin and Hogan (would of gone number 1) were already taken in the mini draft in Boyd's year, most people would of taken Petracca as number 1 in McCartins year. Fair to say though that they were in the top 3 talents of their draft years along with Schache and Moore (same year as McCartin) who would of gone higher if he wasn't a father son pick, those comparisons don't pop up as much.

I can't believe how many posters are responding to 'ManOfClay' - almost as bad a troll as Adam H.

ManOfClay posts, metaphorically speaking, usually consist of something that looks like clay.
Just step over them, don't respond, saves you having to wipe your feet on the wet grass to clean them.

MOC has no football brain to speak of which creates the issue.

I can't believe how many posters are responding to 'ManOfClay' - almost as bad a troll as Adam H.

ManOfClay posts, metaphorically speaking, usually consist of something that looks like clay.
Just step over them, don't respond, saves you having to wipe your feet on the wet grass to clean them.

MOC has no football brain to speak of which creates the issue.

Ah....there he is! Whistle a dog and they come to you.

You're right regarding MOC - that's why he is not even half the troll you are..:D

Good luck to the Sainters today - if they lose to Freo I fear your head will explode.
Either way it will be a Lyon based trollfest. You and Freomaniac should set up your own gameday thread.
Don't get a blister today through frantically typing your usual 'informative' remarks that stem from that 'football brain' of yours.

Please do me a favour by limiting your posts on the Pies gameday thread tomorrow. (36 'quality' posts from you last week on the Pies v Cats game thread!!)
There will be enough rubbish posts by MOC to endure this week seeing as the Pies are playing the Bulldogs.

Last edited:
2017 will the make or break year for the Saints as much of the young talent will by then be old enough, and physically mature enough, to have arrived. This will include Freeman for if his body and game is not right by 2017 it most likely will never be. Plus by then the players will be well and truly schooled in Richo's gameplan. It will no longer be an excuse that they are young, or are still leaning the play.

So we will know then if the players or good enough, or whether the wrong horses were backed along with a recruiting philophosy to build the mids last when most teams do that first.

Now one never expects all of your youngster to make it, but the Saints will need more of the youngsters to step up in form, and for some to become guns or at least showing that they will be guns otherwise we will be a mid-tier team at best. I think we are on track in 2016, but there needs to bea step-up in 2017.

So far this year Ross and Hickey look to have both "arrived". Membrey has recently come in and if he keeps playing like he has been perhaps maybe he will have by seasons end.

At the moment there is much promise and potential. But you need them to actualy be delivered the goods week in and week out, and for four quarters too!

McCartin is shoing he has the smarts, but still needs to build his body. 2017 will be a year when he needs to show more na regular basis. if so he may then keep better in subsequent years.

Acres? as simply not delivered yet often enough. If he cannot do it by end of 2017 he probably never will.

Lonie. Great last year. Lost intensity this year which is not that uncommon in second years players. Need to show he can rebound.

Carlisle: Needs to show he is worth the price. But the Saints clearly need a very tall defender and he may well be the man. A genuine key back can really make a major difference, and should do at the Saints as there are ample flankers of various sizes including tallish ones.

The Saints still remain short of two gun midfielders, but in rebuilding a team you cannot get every need at once. And rightly or wroungly the Saints have left the gun mids till last. Will not be a future Top 4 team with out at least two more gun mids. Getting them will be the test and could make or break the re-build.

2017 will the make or break year for the Saints as much of the young talent will by then be old enough, and physically mature enough, to have arrived. This will include Freeman for if his body and game is not right by 2017 it most likely will never be. Plus by then the players will be well and truly schooled in Richo's gameplan. It will no longer be an excuse that they are young, or are still leaning the play.

So we will know then if the players or good enough, or whether the wrong horses were backed along with a recruiting philophosy to build the mids last when most teams do that first.

Now one never expects all of your youngster to make it, but the Saints will need more of the youngsters to step up in form, and for some to become guns or at least showing that they will be guns otherwise we will be a mid-tier team at best. I think we are on track in 2016, but there needs to bea step-up in 2017.

So far this year Ross and Hickey look to have both "arrived". Membrey has recently come in and if he keeps playing like he has been perhaps maybe he will have by seasons end.

At the moment there is much promise and potential. But you need them to actualy be delivered the goods week in and week out, and for four quarters too!

McCartin is shoing he has the smarts, but still needs to build his body. 2017 will be a year when he needs to show more na regular basis. if so he may then keep better in subsequent years.

Acres? as simply not delivered yet often enough. If he cannot do it by end of 2017 he probably never will.

Lonie. Great last year. Lost intensity this year which is not that uncommon in second years players. Need to show he can rebound.

Carlisle: Needs to show he is worth the price. But the Saints clearly need a very tall defender and he may well be the man. A genuine key back can really make a major difference, and should do at the Saints as there are ample flankers of various sizes including tallish ones.

The Saints still remain short of two gun midfielders, but in rebuilding a team you cannot get every need at once. And rightly or wroungly the Saints have left the gun mids till last. Will not be a future Top 4 team with out at least two more gun mids. Getting them will be the test and could make or break the re-build.

Fair comment stfan.
I think that there is every reason to be optimistic though.
Rebuilds are not easy but there are enough signs to indicate that the Saints are 'on track'.

Thanks for bringing this thread back 'on track' too.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back