Is West Coast Eagles 2018 Premiership win the best in the history of Football? Can they go Back to Back in Season 2019? Or Will complacency set in?

Was the Eagles premiership win the best the game has ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 141 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 271 65.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

These guys weren't even tipped to make the 8 pre-season. Mitchell and Priddis gone meant a lot of experience, as well as Brownlow medals went out the window. The most important and influential player for WCE, and one of if not the best ruckmen in the comp goes down injured in Nit Nat. Gaff, an ALL-Australian and a bloke that was tipped to be runner up in the Brownlow misses a lot of football due to his punch on the young Freo lad. And Sheppard, a player who emerged the last few years as one of the key defenders in the game goes down in the first qualifier against Collingwood. 5 goals down in the first quarter, the ghosts of 2015 re-visited, a host of missed chances late on yet they still find a way to win despite all of this. Balls of steel and a mind like no other. I think this win is as good as the Doggies in 2016 and as good as any other premiership in the history of VFL/AFL.

West Coast Eagles - Could not be beaten. Mentality of a warrior.

Was this the best win or the most hardest for any side to obtain in the history of footy?

Not sure if it’s the best of all time but I’ll say this:

It’s absolutely the best “finals story” I’ve heard in my 18 days following the sport.

These guys weren't even tipped to make the 8 pre-season. Mitchell and Priddis gone meant a lot of experience, as well as Brownlow medals went out the window. The most important and influential player for WCE, and one of if not the best ruckmen in the comp goes down injured in Nit Nat. Gaff, an ALL-Australian and a bloke that was tipped to be runner up in the Brownlow misses a lot of football due to his punch on the young Freo lad. And Sheppard, a player who emerged the last few years as one of the key defenders in the game goes down in the first qualifier against Collingwood. 5 goals down in the first quarter, the ghosts of 2015 re-visited, a host of missed chances late on yet they still find a way to win despite all of this. Balls of steel and a mind like no other. I think this win is as good as the Doggies in 2016 and as good as any other premiership in the history of VFL/AFL.

West Coast Eagles - Could not be beaten. Mentality of a warrior.

Was this the best win or the most hardest for any side to obtain in the history of footy?

Sounds remarkably similar to the Eagles winning the Super Bowl 8 months prior.

Wasn't even more impressive than Dogs 2016 and Richmond 2017, let alone of all time

The last 3 have been weird. Normally we have an idea who will be in the GF at least. The last 3 premiers have come out of absolutely nowhere. Been a bizzare few years. I get the feeling it could happen again tbh.

The last 3 have been weird. Normally we have an idea who will be in the GF at least. The last 3 premiers have come out of absolutely nowhere. Been a bizzare few years. I get the feeling it could happen again tbh.
Stewie Dew likes this

At the start of the season I didn't expect a great year, more interested in the development of all the recent draftees. Then they went ahead and won 10 in a row..

Looking at the team and it fits with the 'classic team structure' but probably didn't look that way in round 1.

2 big forwards, a few solid crumbers.

2 bash and crash rucks that can each take a mark and wear down the opposition ruck

Solid midfield rotation - Shuey isn't all australian but WC fans know he and Yeo are our best midfielders. Gaff plays his role and he is almost always playing at the same level, Redden at his best is better but I've seen him do it maybe 4 times this year.

High quality backline.

It came together at the right time and the squad had enough depth to cover injuries, but best ever? They finished top 2

If they won the spoon and then the next year were bottom 4 going into the mid season break, finished 8th on % and then pulled a Bulldogs style September then sure.

I would take Essendon 2000 as the best ever

I don't think there's any suggestion that WC 2018 are the best team ever, just that the GF was a good 'against all odds' kind of story. It would have been a better narrative if Collingwood had got up with all their outs over the course of the year and having been through an off season review. But * the stupid Vic narrative, we beat them 3 times. Bulldogs 2016 was a better feel good story anyway since they won it from 7th.

we are just reaping the benefits of GWS/GC thinning the talent out across the league which means you have less good quality players available for each team.

Macpotata is a closet WC fan / hater

How many posts / threads on WC do you make?

Well that explains it then.

Easily the best flag by an Eagles side. Serious backs against the wall win AND against Collingwood.

To be the best win ever though it would need to bea Vic team of course. Goes without saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port 2004 had similar outs. Primus (gun ruck and club captain) and Josh Francou (gun midfielder who nearly won a Brownlow) played 1 game between them that year

That was a boring turkey shoot though.

Port wiped the floor with the Lions.

Great first flag to win but as a spectical it was meh!

It was pretty good but not that good.

The inaugural 1992 was greater for us after losing the year before as was 2006.

Geelong 2011 after they lost Ablett and their coach following their slaughter by Collingwood in the prelim the previous year.

Brisbane in 2001 was pretty awesome over that certain Essendon side.

Hawthorn in 1991 after being completely written off as too old, too slow.

Hawthorn 1989 going back to back in one of the greatest & toughest grand final victories.

And these are just AFL premierships.

As an Eagles fan i will say no. Carlton under Barras were in the shyte at halftime against the bridesmaids Collingwood. He took off Bert Thornlie and put an unknown Teddy Hopkins on. The game plan was unusual. Barras said ," Handball and run". Hopkins kicked four goals and was never heard of again, except for Carlton fans.I was a Carlton fan at the time and will never forget.Sides in those days used to
kick and mark

If you’re going to crap on about West Coast being predicted to finish in the lower reaches of the ladder and then eventually not as though it affects anything than by the same rationale them beating a side that was also a popular pre-season pick for bottom four should have an equal magnitude counter impact on the achievement.

If you’re going to crap on about West Coast being predicted to finish in the lower reaches of the ladder and then eventually not as though it affects anything than by the same rationale them beating a side that was also a popular pre-season pick for bottom four should have an equal magnitude counter impact on the achievement.
So your nomination?

Without a shadow of a doubt it was the Dogs in 2016. They had every possible hurdle to get over at the time. Eagles in Perth, Hawks at the G, GWS at Spotless and a red hot swans who had pantsed the Cats so convincingly at the MCG only the week before.

They rode that momentum amazingly. Were they favourites in any game?

Obviously my answer is tinged with bias

But a team with a history of failing in finals without a flag since the 1950s coming from seventh, winning two interstate finals and the grand final against the minor premiers while their captain and some key players sitting out injured in 2016 shades it.

Especially when that club was a mess without a coach, captain or CEO a little over 12 months before

Back