Recommitted Jack Billings [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised he hasn't elevated himself beyond being a reasonable outside player with neat skills. Not really a match turner, but there will be clubs happy to pay a premium to bring him in.

Probably needs a change of scenery and a bit more oversight of his role. Richardson let him coast, and he hasn't really pushed on after Ratten was appointed.

High half forward i think but we have bigger priorities like the ruck.

To me we brought in Higgins and (for my taste) I prefer to balance the age profile of roles. I am happy for Close or Tarheny or some othe young kid to compliment Higgins.It helps with cap too. Close would be less than half a FA dollars. If a FA was a gun inside player, look at our age...then great id be interested.

He’d be a really good option for North if they could get him without having to trade for him.

Would help them meet the minimum salary cap requirements, would provide leadership and experience (he’s in our leadership group), and would compliment all the inside types they’ve recruited recently. And if they front-end his contract, they won’t be paying him much by the time all their recent draftees are requiring bigger contracts.

He’d be a really good option for North if they could get him without having to trade for him.

Would help them meet the minimum salary cap requirements, would provide leadership and experience (he’s in our leadership group), and would compliment all the inside types they’ve recruited recently. And if they front-end his contract, they won’t be paying him much by the time all their recent draftees are requiring bigger contracts.

Would that appeal to him?

I could imagine a player like him may want different experience at FA...yet its who DelSat moved to wasnt it.... although I think they were more competitive at that stage.

Has he been linked to anyone?

Would that appeal to him?

I could imagine a player like him may want different experience at FA...yet its who DelSat moved to wasnt it.... although I think they were more competitive at that stage.

Has he been linked to anyone?
Yeah I think he’s been linked to North. Where his best mate Luke McDonald plays. Tom Morris has apparently been pushing that.

The issue is that we’ve been overpaying him. The last time he came OOC he was in red-hot form- 11 Brownlow votes in the first 12 games of 2019- at just 24yo, and it looked like he was having a big breakout year, and would become the guy we always hoped he’d be, but then once he signed the new contract he didn’t get another Brownlow vote for the remainder of the year, and has pretty much plateaued since, so we’re paying him too much (apparently over $700K PA), and if he’s to stay, he’ll pretty much need to take a pay cut.

So there’s a good chance that a team like North could come along and offer him say $750K PA and it would be enough to get him to go there, even if they’re a while off it.

I’m not sure any contending teams would offer him anywhere near that much, and if they don’t, and he doesn’t want to go to a team in full-rebuild mode, then he might as well just stay with us.

It’s not like we want him gone. He’s probably on track for a top 3 finish in our B&F, but we don’t want to overpay him any more, and if a team was to offer him a contract that would get us band 1 compo, then that would potentially be very appealing to us.

I don’t see any point in us wanting to lose him for an end of first rounder or less though.

So I think if a contending club came and offered him just $600K or so, we’d match the bid and force a trade.

Last edited:
Yeah I think he’s been linked to North. Where his best mate Luke McDonald plays. Tom Morris has apparently been pushing that.

The issue is that we’ve been overpaying him. The last time he came OOC he was in red-hot form- 11 Brownlow votes in the first 12 games of 2019- at just 24yo, and it looked like he was having a big breakout year, and would become the guy we always hoped he’d be, but then once he signed the new contract he didn’t get another Brownlow vote for the remainder of the year, and has pretty much plateaued since, so we’re paying him too much (apparently over $700K PA), and if he’s to stay, he’ll pretty much need to take a pay cut.

So there’s a good chance that a team like North could come along and offer him say $750K PA and it would be enough to get him to go there, even if they’re a while off it.

I’m not sure any contending teams would offer him anywhere near that much, and if they don’t, and he doesn’t want to go to a team in full-rebuild mode, then he might as well just stay with us.

It’s not like we want him gone. He’s probably on track for a top 3 finish in our B&F, but we don’t want to overpay him any more, and if a team was to offer him a contract that would get us band 1 compo, then that would potentially be very appealing to us.

I don’t see any point in us wanting to lose him for an end of first rounder or less though.

So I think if a contending club came and offered him just $600K or so, we’d match the bid and force a trade.

Sounds lot like what the Crows supporters were saying 12 months ago

Sounds lot like what the Crows supporters were saying 12 months ago
Indeed, but they pretty clearly wanted him gone, whereas I don’t see us wanting Jack gone, unless we get very well compensated in return. He’s in our leadership group, one of the most skilled, in a team that needs more skill, not less of it, and possibly coming off a career-best, top 3 in the B&F season. Plus, unlike Crouch, he’s generally very durable.

Adelaide didn’t want to match our offer and force a trade and risk keeping Crouch, whereas if Billings wanted to go to a team that was only going to be paying him $600K or less, I don’t think we’d have any issue matching the offer and keeping him, if the other club didn’t come to the table with a suitable trade.

Indeed, but they pretty clearly wanted him gone, whereas I don’t see us wanting Jack gone, unless we get very well compensated in return. He’s in our leadership group, one of the most skilled, in a team that needs more skill, not less of it, and possibly coming off a career-best, top 3 in the B&F season. Plus, unlike Crouch, he’s generally very durable.

Adelaide didn’t want to match our offer and force a trade and risk keeping Crouch, whereas if Billings wanted to go to a team that was only going to be paying him $600K or less, I don’t think we’d have any issue matching the offer and keeping him, if the other club didn’t come to the table with a suitable trade.
Then you do what you can to keep him and not think if its 1st rounder let him go
the qualities you mentioned you dont let walk out the door for a speculative pick 5-10 and you pay him accordingly

Specially after paying players like Hanna , Hill , Crouch the dollars they have got

The player you mention above in context to the money you have paid others gets $750k a year from the saints and he stays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me a bit of Cam Guthrie in the way you know there’s a special player in there but for some reason or another it doesn’t show often. Guthrie broke out last year at the age of 28 so it can be done.

Respectfully though Guthrie was playing understudy to Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett even Kelly and maybe sacrificing some of his game to carry water for them.

Can't say the same for the Saints

Boys on MMM yesterdY (Nathan Brown, Carey etc.) were saying clubs would be looking to offer him $450,000

Am I crazy when I think he’s worth a lot more than that from a contract viewpoint? Especially when in free agency

Thats low ball. Reckon he would get 600-700k.
Wtf are them MMM guys talking about then. I’d have thought Carey and Nathan Brown would have some kind of idea about list management.... there isn’t a world where the Saints wouldn’t match a 450k free agency contract offer

Boys on MMM yesterdY (Nathan Brown, Carey etc.) were saying clubs would be looking to offer him $450,000

Am I crazy when I think he’s worth a lot more than that from a contract viewpoint? Especially when in free agency
In a post-COVID salary cap slashed world and not knowing when the cap will start rising again, it may be something like that. More likely 500-600, but teams are going to be very cautious with the salary cap going forward and his value has taken a hit.

Our 2018 spending spree will be the last of its type for quite some time.

Happy to offer billings 700k to get him over the line. Needs a change of scenery and I think he's fallen behind in a saints side that keeps on bringing in talent.

There's a prospect of us losing Dumont for Band 3, which would be a pick in the low 20's.

If we recruited Billings it would wipe out that compensation.

So it's something else to consider. We'd be effectively trading a top 25 pick for him ontop of the wage.

I can't see us offering him a Band 1 salary.

Crouch won the Adelaide B&F in 2019 and you guys didn't offer that.

There's a prospect of us losing Dumont for Band 3, which would be a pick in the low 20's.

If we recruited Billings it would wipe out that compensation.

So it's something else to consider. We'd be effectively trading a top 25 pick for him ontop of the wage.

I can't see us offering him a Band 1 salary.

Crouch won the Adelaide B&F in 2019 and you guys didn't offer that.
Lose Dumont but gain billings

Sounds like a decent end result

Remove this Banner Ad

Back