Recommitted Jack Viney [re-signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he was talking about how the compensation pick can be massaged to suit the agenda. GCS were going to get the compo for Motlop in exchange for Ablett, but they wouldn't accept less than the band 2 compo level, surprisingly Motlop hit band 2.

Yep that was obviously the AFL using the "ability to adjust as they see fit" part of the compensation rule.

Priority picks and compensation picks are clearly being used as an equalisation lever by the AFL, with a dash of “but you’ve already had enough help of this nature, no more” on top.

I don’t have any problem with them doing that, but they shouldn’t pretend the public are idiots by suggesting it’s formula based. I’m sure they have a set of indicative factors they look at, but it’s ultimately a subjective call.

Agree Crouch will net pick 2.

Back to original topic, I think what Melbourne does with Viney rests on:
* what Viney wants to do of course
* cash Viney is after like any player
* can Melbourne justify tying up cash in Viney and Brayshaw as Oliver and Petracca are not leaving the midfield, so there’s only one other that can get big minutes there. Neither Viney or Brayshaw have shown much in non-midfield roles
* what’s their view on Sparrow, and to a lesser extent, Jordon, and their readiness for inside mid depth. Harmes would also be part of that discussion and he has 4 more years on his contract.

Finally, indication from the AFL on any compensation pick for Viney, and Melbourne’s view of 2020 draft. If there’s ever been a year to back your recruiters to select a great player without needing a high pick, this is it given nobody has seen the draft crop play this year. There are “Can’t miss, top 10 pick” 15 and 16 y.o. that don’t get drafted after their U18 year for whatever reason, and ones that come from nowhere like Oliver to be a top 5.

This year is really risky if you have high picks because it’s easier to get it wrong (plus all the NGA & FS compromises), and lots of opportunity for value if you don’t have high picks if your recruiters get it right or get lucky. Melbourne showed their hand to some degree by trading up in 2019 to get Pickett, which means they didn’t rate the 2020 draft crop, or didn’t rate what they’d get with a pick reflective of where they projected they’d finish on the ladder in 2020. Also in that is Melbourne’s like to “get them in early”, which they did with Weideman and now Pickett - get two top end talents in the one year so you can start developing them today, and skip top talent for the next draft, instead of bring in one top talent each year.

The Ellis compo or lack there of proves how shady the afl are

Well you don’t know that. If you’re keen you’re keen. If the AFL is charitable well take the compo I’d think. End of first gets pushed out to 20s. I think he’s worth more.

As long as MFC don't have any major screw ups before the trade window, Gil will bump a band 2 to band 1 as a bit of a stimulus package for us being s**t.

Similar to what happened when Frawley left for the Hawks.

As long as MFC don't have any major screw ups before the trade window, Gil will bump a band 2 to band 1 as a bit of a stimulus package for us being sh*t.

Similar to what happened when Frawley left for the Hawks.
If the same people are in charge as were then Melbourne might get band one compensation for their free agent player accepting an offer from Melbourne FC.

Or we match avoiding the compo unless AFL feel charitable. Then get one of the Cats current 3 first rounders.

Seems a common train of thought... Its often said in thread like this ..yet we are yet to see a match. Maybe we will this year , id like to see it happen once to see the mechanics of it.

Last edited:
Well you don’t know that. If you’re keen you’re keen. If the AFL is charitable well take the compo I’d think. End of first gets pushed out to 20s. I think he’s worth more.

Comp is not meant to be parity .... R1 comp should get removed .... with all the nga's and te FSons this year ..if we get 2 or 3 R1 comp who knows where the first round will finish.

I wouldn't be as shocked as some to see him at Geelong. Viney is worth more than a comparable player in Crouch. If you factor that in, he might just scrap in and get a first round compensation pick. If not, definitely band 2. Hence, Melbourne would probably be pretty happy if they can effectively get rid of him for say pick 10-12 or even pick 19.

Its also going to be a weird draft where you could see players slip and slide everywhere due to the year its been. Hence, you might legitimately be able to get a guy you rate top 5 at say 10-12 or someone you rate at 10 at 19. You might not also but its going to be an interesting draft. And when I say rate, I mean actually rate not just PR rate.
Melbourne aren’t going to accept a compo pick of 19 when Geelong have 3 earlier picks they can trade, currently picks 11, 16 and 17

Melbourne aren’t going to accept a compo pick of 19 when Geelong have 3 earlier picks they can trade, currently picks 11, 16 and 17

You are not going to to risk matchingand he stays or goes to the draft over the difference between 19 and 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There would be negotiations. All parties will know what’s happening. It’s not like we can’t afford what Viney would get from Geelong.

It would be interesting to see.. IF Viney moved. to Geelong ..if that was the only transaction between the two clubs in the trade period.

at this stage..it must be more likely he stays at melb

Last edited:
Like with Tim Kelly? Unless the Cats offer is huge (assuming its even a thing) Demons would be wise to match and then deal.

I cant see how Kelly is comparable. Kelly was contracted after Y1 ..and after Y2 was not a RFA. ...but yes Demons might want to neg a deal.. especially if they are interested in a FA themselves

I cant see how Kelly is comparable. Kelly was contracted after Y1 ..and after Y2 was not a RFA. ...but yes Demons might want to neg a deal.. especially if they are interested in a FA themselves

It comes down to compensation. Will the Demons get more from Compo or the trade. Cats have heaps to offer.

It comes down to compensation. Will the Demons get more from Compo or the trade. Cats have heaps to offer.

All parties will talk when the time comes.. and yes Melb and Geelong would look at their own best outcome... and at this stage id say Geelong are far from odds on. When we hear that Viney is serious about moving , the type of dollars that he would move for it will be much clearer.

Last edited:
As much as I’d love Viney at Geelong, it would be disappointing to see him leave MFC. He’s part of your heart and soul. They aren’t the players you let go. It ruins the fabric of your club. Every other player then thinks “if they are prepared to let him go then we are all just commodities”. I’m tipping if he goes MFC will be a basket case for another 20 years.

As much as I’d love Viney at Geelong, it would be disappointing to see him leave MFC. He’s part of your heart and soul. They aren’t the players you let go. It ruins the fabric of your club. Every other player then thinks “if they are prepared to let him go then we are all just commodities”. I’m tipping if he goes MFC will be a basket case for another 20 years.

This is my feeling too. I think taking the captaincy off him was probably one of the biggest own goals I've seen Melbourne make. Could you imagine if we took the captaincy off Sel when he was 26? Would've been hell to pay

I think you might find if he leaves it’s because he wants out. There’s been murmurings for a while now. I think if he wants to stay of course we keep him. I’d be disappointed if he was pushed.

I think you might find if he leaves it’s because he wants out. There’s been murmurings for a while now. I think if he wants to stay of course we keep him. I’d be disappointed if he was pushed.

When you say murmurings, what do you mean exactly? Is there any particular reason that he would want out?

There would be negotiations. All parties will know what’s happening. It’s not like we can’t afford what Viney would get from Geelong.

The question is do you want to not can you.

I agree with what you’ve posted. However, I wouldn’t put it past the idiots running the show to push Viney out over the magic beans of pick whatever in a highly compromised draft.

I get that player movement is becoming more common and feel less sentimental about it as I get older. However, I’d feel physically ill seeing Viney in another jumper, particularly another Victorian club.

You are not going to to risk matchingand he stays or goes to the draft over the difference between 19 and 11.
Melbourne won’t get a compensation pick if we want to grab a free agent. Better for Melbourne to get a trade

Viney isn’t making it too Geelong in pre-season draft, especially when Melbourne has a pick before them.

Viney is passionate about Melbourne, he was captain of the club and currently vice captain. I’d back that he’d come back to Melbourne than risk entering the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back