Oppo Camp Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded to Nth Melb. 2020)

Should This Thread Be Kept Open?

• Yes

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a theory that the Hub shone a blowtorch on players, coaches and officials that were locked up together.

It but an enormous strain on internal relationships within the group and between individuals in the group.

Some coped better than others and some came our of it pretty ordinary.

Few if any of us are privy to what went down in our hub but, we didn't seem to cope very well with it as a club both on and off the field.

Stevo, obviously didn't cope too well with the season, going by his on field performances.

It also appeared at times that he wasn't coping to well off it.

We seemed happy to jettison a kid who was a rising star in his first year and I suspect there is more to it than just his drop off in form.

Bucks hates Players that are NOT Robots

His first three seasons of AFL he played 40 games and kicked 60 goals, including 3 * 4 goal matches, 1* 5 goal match and 1 * 6 goal match.

Must have showed a little bit at least on those numbers I reckon.
Goals were easier to come by when Stevie J began, so those figures are inflated by today's thinking, but he certainly showed a fair bit - a heap, just like Stephenson. Was clearly extremely talented, just like Stepho. But he was just awful fairly often, some games Stevie J was comically bad, just like Stepho this year. Cats were going to trade him to us, for a second rounder, just like Stepho. Very different players, but there's a bit to compare about their early careers, although Stepho start has been better. . I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a fair bit to compare by the end of their careers. That's how
I view his potential.

Goals were easier to come by when Stevie J began, so those figures are inflated by today's thinking, but he certainly showed a fair bit - a heap, just like Stephenson. Was clearly extremely talented, just like Stepho. But he was just awful fairly often, some games Stevie J was comically bad, just like Stepho this year. Cats were going to trade him to us, for a second rounder, just like Stepho. Very different players, but there's a bit to compare about their early careers, although Stepho start has been better. . I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a fair bit to compare by the end of their careers. That's how
I view his potential.
I just hope he spuds it up now ...however odds are the club are the ones who have spudded this up

I have a theory that the Hub shone a blowtorch on players, coaches and officials that were locked up together.

It but an enormous strain on internal relationships within the group and between individuals in the group.

Some coped better than others and some came our of it pretty ordinary.

Few if any of us are privy to what went down in our hub but, we didn't seem to cope very well with it as a club both on and off the field.

Stevo, obviously didn't cope too well with the season, going by his on field performances.

It also appeared at times that he wasn't coping to well off it.

We seemed happy to jettison a kid who was a rising star in his first year and I suspect there is more to it than just his drop off in form.
Add to this the well known story about the drink of another player.

He lost the playing group in more ways than just on field it seems - look at the game where Pendlebury had to console him on the bench, not one other player offered their support or approval.

Bucks hates Players that are NOT Robots
You keep saying this but can you explain what "non robotic" players are? Is it ones who play up off field? Because we still have plenty of them. Is it ones who don't follow on field, training and match preparation instructions from coaches and staff? Or is it ones who are s**t blokes to their team mates?

What still blows my mind about the Stevo scenario is how he ended up on 600k a year...

I am sad to see him go.. early days i thought we had a Peter Matera type on our hands. He was pretty poor a lot of the time this year but he could easily turn it around unless there is some major underlying issue i am not aware of.

But back to the money... how the hell did we sign up to pay him that AFTER he all but derailed our 2019 season with his stupidity? I understand that clubs came hard for him with good offers but that was Ned's and the club's time to say... this is our offer and we are not going to be swayed by what other clubs say they will give you... you owe us a few bloody good seasons

i guess what really galls me is that he effectively got a big, fat pay rise despite playing 10-odd games in a season where we were smack bang in the middle of our premiership window. If he had decided he wanted to leave then for better money etc, we probably could have got a decent deal on a trade....

One of many mystifying contract calls i guess.

What still blows my mind about the Stevo scenario is how he ended up on 600k a year...

I am sad to see him go.. early days i thought we had a Peter Matera type on our hands. He was pretty poor a lot of the time this year but he could easily turn it around unless there is some major underlying issue i am not aware of.

But back to the money... how the hell did we sign up to pay him that AFTER he all but derailed our 2019 season with his stupidity? I understand that clubs came hard for him with good offers but that was Ned's and the club's time to say... this is our offer and we are not going to be swayed by what other clubs say they will give you... you owe us a few bloody good seasons

i guess what really galls me is that he effectively got a big, fat pay rise despite playing 10-odd games in a season where we were smack bang in the middle of our premiership window. If he had decided he wanted to leave then for better money etc, we probably could have got a decent deal on a trade....

totally agree mate. Same with Grundy, if players want to leave for better money and theres a very good trade in exchange we should not be held to ransom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The really stupid part is that he loved the club and never had any intention of leaving. There’s no way under the circumstances we should have caved in to paying him that sort of money so early on. The handling of this kid since the end of 2018 has been bizarre and I doubt any other club in the league would have made the moves we did with him over the past 18 months.

I can't find any news stories about us extending his contract after the gambling saga, other than Edmund saying he quietly extended it in 2019. Happy to be corrected.

I can't find any news stories about us extending his contract after the gambling saga, other than Edmund saying he quietly extended it in 2019. Happy to be corrected.

yeah maybe you are right and it WAS before the whole gambling thing .. but even if it was it still seems big overs when he was already signed on until the end of 2021 anyway..

The really stupid part is that he loved the club and never had any intention of leaving. There’s no way under the circumstances we should have caved in to paying him that sort of money so early on. The handling of this kid since the end of 2018 has been bizarre and I doubt any other club in the league would have made the moves we did with him over the past 18 months.

I come in peace, and trust me I have extended knowledge of poor management in a football Club.

I'll take you guys' word for it on Stephenson's ongoing attitude problems. But. The Club must take some responsibility for that.

If we cast our minds back to the "unprecedented" gambling penalty, and in particular the mysterious delay of some weeks before the commencement of the sanction. The mystery is solved when we take note that this delay allowed Stephenson enough games to hit a games played trigger in his contract and a substantial bonus. Which cancelled out the entire financial impact of the suspension - from memory he ended up a few hundred dollars in front.

That's a deal that has Eddie's fingerprints all over it, the kind of advantage seeking that has earned him grudging respect from supporters of other clubs.

But what influence does that experience have on a young bloke who perhaps already has an overly high opinion of his own importance?

Jaidyn Stephenson (Traded given to Nth Melb. 2020)

Another consideration was Collingwood needed to dump salary, Treloar deal was the one they wanted but happend last minute.

If Treloar had agreed earlier then Stepho deal wouldn’t have been necessary. Remember Collingwood tried to offload Treloar the year before, base it on what you like.

I don’t think they thought he was a bad influence around the club but price, coachable, hamstrings, mental health, trade value after 2019 was high. Imagine Matt Rowell or Noah Anderson in black and white WOW.

We didn’t mess up 2020 draft, we messed up 2019. Had we got this right, we would of had a Young jet and maybe kept Stepho.

On reflection our list management has been good, the only player at another club exited is appleby, it’s only a maybe as he’s training on the hope of being picked up.

Im also in the camp of we will cut further this year some players and have a crack at free agency, players who would be on decent money will be under pressure to perform.

How much are these players that are either close to the finish or on the edge of selectiinworth?
Thomas
WHE
Greenwood
Mayne
Murphy
Sier
Magden
Lynch
Noble

There is 3 million in cap space here minimum I’d say. Which do Collingwood keep will be interesting as they are all playing for their careers in 2021.

thoughts...

Another consideration was Collingwood needed to dump salary, Treloar deal was the one they wanted but happend last minute.

If Treloar had agreed earlier then Stepho deal wouldn’t have been necessary. Remember Collingwood tried to offload Treloar the year before, base it on what you like.

I don’t think they thought he was a bad influence around the club but price, coachable, hamstrings, mental health, trade value after 2019 was high. Imagine Matt Rowell or Noah Anderson in black and white WOW.

We didn’t mess up 2020 draft, we messed up 2019. Had we got this right, we would of had a Young jet and maybe kept Stepho.

On reflection our list management has been good, the only player at another club exited is appleby, it’s only a maybe as he’s training on the hope of being picked up.

Im also in the camp of we will cut further this year some players and have a crack at free agency, players who would be on decent money will be under pressure to perform.

How much are these players that are either close to the finish or on the edge of selectiinworth?
Thomas
WHE
Greenwood
Mayne
Murphy
Sier
Magden
Lynch
Noble

There is 3 million in cap space here minimum I’d say. Which do Collingwood keep will be interesting as they are all playing for their careers in 2021.

thoughts...

In some way you could say Treloar was Selfish as did not want to do the Right thing for the Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back