Recommitted Jamarra Ugle-Hagan [contract extension to end of 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i don't believe it for a second but jeez half a season in and you are cracking the sads you can't crack a top 2 team?

IF it were true i would consider it a bit of a red flag

We are 17th and have half a dozen players at Box Hill who need to earn a spot in the 1sts. Dogs would have a very high bar set for him amd he needs to be the one to reach it.

You do understanding living regional compared to city is an entirely different lifestyle besides “traffic” which shows a bit of lack of knowledge. Alot of them prefer the space and farm life, the coastal life as alot of them surf.

Once again i am not saying it will happen with jamarra, but since this is a thread about his future geelong would be a strong suitor if he wanted to leave, which i havent even heard he does.

When 7 of your traded or free agents are all from regional vic areas and your club is a regional one itself, you don't have to be albert einstein to work out that it plays a factor in the decision making process that leads to the move.

6 of the players you have mentioned are from GEELONG. If Geelong are interested in them of course they are going to be keen to get back home where their family are.
Dahlhaus wanted to stay and you offered the extra year. Again he’s from Geelong so of course he’s going to favour that move.

You are still yet to give any example of a player from Melbourne who’s want to move to Geelong because they prefer the regional lifestyle. That’s been the basis of your argument. And you’ve still not provided any examples other than players retuning back home where they grew up. Isaac smith clearly moved to you as you were a contender not because he prefers the farm life.
Youre massively downplaying the fact that your culture is so good and you never bottom out, which is why you’re a destination club. Getting back home where you grew up is the added sugar on top.
If you were in the bottom 4, Smith and Higgins wouldn’t be at your football club. Smith may have moved for lifestyle reasons but he only had deals from Melbourne and hawthorn who were both awful last year.

Last edited:
6 of the players you have mentioned are from GEELONG. If Geelong are interested in them of course they are going to be keen to get back home where their family are.
Dahlhaus wanted to stay and you offered the extra year. Again he’s from Geelong so of course he’s going to favour that move.

You are still yet to give any example of a player from Melbourne who’s want to move to Geelong because they prefer the regional lifestyle. That’s been the basis of your argument. And you’ve still not provided any examples other than players retuning back home where they grew up. Isaac smith clearly moved to you as you were a contender not because he prefers the farm life.
Youre massively downplaying the fact that your culture is so good and you never bottom out, which is why you’re a destination club. Getting back home where you grew up is the added sugar on top. If you were in the bottom 4, Smith and Higgins wouldn’t be at your football club.

Once again there are 17 other clubs they could choose and they all happen to be from regional areas. Why are they all regional and not from other areas?? Even half of them and id still say thats very high, but to have that many from regional areas is too big to be a coincidence when there are plenty if other suitors who can offer the same money or more, and are also contending for a flag, and also have “good cultures”..

Once again i am not saying its the only reason, but its an obvious reason that comes into consideration when 7/9 of your recruits are from regional locations and just two of them from elsewhere ( zac tuohy from ireland??) and rhys stanley from adelaide.

Its very basic pattern recognition

Once again there are 17 other clubs they could choose and they all happen to be from regional areas. Why are they all regional and not from other areas?? Even half of them and id still say thats very high, but to have that many from regional areas is too big to be a coincidence when there are plenty if other suitors who can offer the same money or more, and are also contending for a flag, and also have “good cultures”..

Once again i am not saying its the only reason, but its an obvious reason that comes into consideration when 7/9 of your recruits are from regional locations and just two of them from elsewhere ( zac tuohy from ireland??) and rhys stanley from adelaide.

Its very basic pattern recognition

Basic indeed. 6 of the 7 are from Geelong. And are now back in Geelong where their families are.
0 from other regional areas who wanted to also get to Geelong due to lifestyle reasons.
No point in mentioning 17 other clubs, you know that’s irrelevant.

Is your argument that you’re a destination club (for numerous reasons) or that you’re good at recruiting players who actually grew up in Geelong?

Basic indeed. 6 of the 7 are from Geelong. And are now back in Geelong.
0 from other regional areas who wanted to also get to Geelong due to lifestyle reasons.

Isaac smith was drafted from ballarat rebels and came to geelong over melbourne. Jeremy cameron also from regional victoria.

I actually didnt realise the extent of the geelong regional pull until i started this chat and had a look at their origins and it really became obvious how big a factor it is.

Plenty of factors would come into it i have no doubt, but it obviously plays a part when you look at the bigger picture that 7/9 are regional.

Isaac smith was drafted from ballarat rebels and came to geelong over melbourne. Jeremy cameron also from regional victoria.

I actually didnt realise the extent of the geelong regional pull until i started this chat and had a look at their origins and it really became obvious how big a factor it is.

Plenty of factors would come into it i have no doubt, but it obviously plays a part when you look at the bigger picture that 7/9 are regional.

Lol please stop saying regional. 6 of them are already from Geelong. That’s not a regional pull if their family are already there.

Lol please stop saying regional. 6 of them are already from Geelong. That’s not a regional pull if their family are already there.

Geelong is a regional location. Its classified country.

Alot of them from what i understand like to either live along the coastal regions of geelong or on farms further on the outskirts of geelong. Quite different to living in hawthorn or canterburry.

Perfect fit for us. Grew up supporting Essendon, is the same age as our draftees and we have strong indigenous ties.
I'd happily give up whatever draft picks are needed to get it done.
Yeah ok didn't know that players always ask to be traded to their club they grew up supporting. OK Cox and your first round pick.

So you stupidly forgot that, then once reminded, said that cant be done, typical for a person that supports your crap team
Lmao imagine taking my comment serious. Nik Cox isn't going anywhere and neither is JUH.

I don't even want us to chase JUH this year nor do I think he is gettable. We have bigger needs to focus on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we have an example of a player who participated in an academy and then wasn't nominated as either the NGA or FS that corresponded with their participation?

Josh Dunkley was a Sydney FS wasn't he? He was still nominated as a father son.
Dunkley was nominated by the Swans but they refused to match our bid for him because it would effect the points they needed to land Mills. It doesn’t cost them anything to nominate a player but it does if they match a bid.

Last minute is probably the wrong phrasing. Just jealous that everyone seems to have milked a player or two from an academy except us.
serious?! just about every superstar requests to join the Geelong surfing academy when they turn 28 years old. Geelong is the last team that needs any leg up when it comes to getting talent in.

I think at the end of the day he would only leave if he thinks he is at a club where
A. He's not going to see much success during his career. And/or
B. He's cant see himself as as one of the permanent key forwards in that side.

I think both he would at the dogs.

The lure to Essendon makes sense though given the promising young rebuilding list he could join alongside.
He would also be guaranteed to slot straight into the forward line in Hookers spot with Harry Jones for the next 10 years+.
If he’s going to be a good player which by all reports he is then he’ll fit in our side no problem. He just needs a fitness base and a solid body of work at VFL level. Coming off a concussion, and then a Covid lockdown with no footy is not a solid body of work...

Who was the last AFL listed player who had this much Hype and drama surrounding them before they had played even 1 AFL game?

Jack Watts?

Dunkley was nominated by the Swans but they refused to match our bid for him because it would effect the points they needed to land Mills. It doesn’t cost them anything to nominate a player but it does if they match a bid.
Weren’t they in the same draft? 2015?

Weren’t they in the same draft? 2015?

Dunkley let the Swans know that if a club based in Victoria bid on him he did not want them to match because his preference was to stay in Victoria.

If an interstate club bid on him he wanted the Swans to match because if he had to move interstate he wanted to move to Sydney.

This was all pretty well known and reported on in the lead up to the draft.

serious?! just about every superstar requests to join the Geelong surfing academy when they turn 28 years old. Geelong is the last team that needs any leg up when it comes to getting talent in.
Talent that's part of retirement plan is probably in a different category, but yes we've been lucky to be an in-demand employer for those who have the power to choose

Dunkley let the Swans know that if a club based in Victoria bid on him he did not want them to match because his preference was to stay in Victoria.

If an interstate club bid on him he wanted the Swans to match because if he had to move interstate he wanted to move to Sydney.

This was all pretty well known and reported on in the lead up to the draft.

hadn’t seen that article from 2016 - thanks for sharing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back