Toast James Sicily - Hawthorn captain 2023 - AA 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

When did AFL commentary get so hysterical?

Sicily was actually really measured. He lifted McGrath off the ground. Absorbed absolutely everything else. Has only been suspended for a tackle in the last 3 years so all this talk about his leadership blah blah blah is based on an impression from last decade.

And when people commentating run out of anything rational to say they fall back on "Its not a good look". Yet all those Essendon players coming at him is a good look? Really?

I've got a feeling he won't get off tonight.

The actual kick should be considered low impact or below what's required for it to be reportable, meaning downgraded to a fine or charge thrown out. That will be supported by the evidence of McGrath if he's even allowed to give it at the tribunal. Short of that then the medical report should clear him.

But after last year with his 4 week suspension where they took a well-argued case with supporting evidence from an expert and just ignored it twice (originally and on appeal) because they wanted to make sure he got weeks. I can't help but feel they won't want to let this one go either. And no doubt the fact it's Sicily will mean there will be no room for leniency.

The actual kick should be considered low impact or below what's required for it to be reportable, meaning downgraded to a fine or charge thrown out. That will be supported by the evidence of McGrath if he's even allowed to give it at the tribunal. Short of that then the medical report should clear him.

But after last year with his 4 week suspension where they took a well-argued case with supporting evidence from an expert and just ignored it twice (originally and on appeal) because they wanted to make sure he got weeks. I can't help but feel they won't want to let this one go either. And no doubt the fact it's Sicily will mean there will be no room for leniency.

But unless they just want to ignore all of the medical evidence they can't. You can't keep an impact graded as medium when it quite clearly isn't.

I could see the tribunal electing to reclassify it as "serious misconduct" however? Not sure if they have the power to do that.

You could tell from the transcript of last years appeal the system wasn’t about fairness it was about the AFL getting their outcome.
An absolute joke

When did AFL commentary get so hysterical?

Sicily was actually really measured. He lifted McGrath off the ground. Absorbed absolutely everything else. Has only been suspended for a tackle in the last 3 years so all this talk about his leadership blah blah blah is based on an impression from last decade.

And when people commentating run out of anything rational to say they fall back on "Its not a good look". Yet all those Essendon players coming at him is a good look? Really?

Is this a trick question?
It's been like this my entire lifetime (34 years)

I think he'll get done on "intent to harm" and it not being a "good look"

Media is split 50/50 on it. Which is usually not a good sign. Have they been worded up in advance?

Nobody should be kicking and even if it's just a reflex action with negligible contact, you are going to be in trouble.
He will get a week.

Sic needs to be better.

Nobody should be kicking and even if it's just a reflex action with negligible contact, you are going to be in trouble.
He will get a week.

Sic needs to be better.
See the thing is:
"It's just a reflex action with negligible contact" does not go very well with "you are going to get in trouble"

You should get in trouble for intentional and reckless/careless things that cause damage to other people.

Not reflex actions that the other guy didn't even feel. How ridiculous. Can't believe some people are taking that line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But unless they just want to ignore all of the medical evidence they can't. You can't keep an impact graded as medium when it quite clearly isn't.

I could see the tribunal electing to reclassify it as "serious misconduct" however? Not sure if they have the power to do that.
Seems they have the power to do whatever they like. It's a kangaroo court.

They'll do whatever they want to get the pre-determined result.

Whether it be getting a ban for a player with a reputation, or avoiding one for a star player who is a Brownlow chance.

Sis will get a week for intent, it was foolish to lash out even so softly. However it sets the absolute precedent that the opposition captain can be antagonised by multiple opposition players and if they react at all, the chumpire paid the free to McGrath for holding not kicking or misconduct, then that is an ok look for the game, especially just after he had been dumped on his backside while play was stopped right in front of the chumpire.
This week we should play both Meek and Reeves and go after Gawn, every opportunity bump him, whack his arms, just wear him down like other teams have occasionally done and if Gawn stands under a high ball then crash into him, preferably with a knee to the back of the head in a marking contest because that is an 'acceptable risk' and Finn should annoy the sh1t out of Oliver.
We need to get meaner otherwise we will be pushed around by opposition teams and we can't expect the umpires to apply the rules.

Good to listening to Dwayne in the car today ……. “ where is the protection for players that are deliberately targeted ….. what was Siss supposed to do getting set upon by 6 players he has to somehow defend himself if the AFL aren’t going to do anything about it”. He also basically said that he stuck his leg out …… wasn’t a kick and should get off.

Gotta remember the crab McGrath pretty much admitted that the players were all on the same page (implying they were instructed) to bait and target Siss!

As far as pre- determined outcomes go the AFL could give Putin lessons.
I hold little hope the suspension will be overturned

Good to listening to Dwayne in the car today ……. “ where is the protection for players that are deliberately targeted ….. what was Siss supposed to do getting set upon by 6 players he has to somehow defend himself if the AFL aren’t going to do anything about it”. He also basically said that he stuck his leg out …… wasn’t a kick and should get off.

Gotta remember the crab McGrath pretty much admitted that the players were all on the same page (implying they were instructed) to bait and target Siss!
Some flog called in and said Sicily should get suspended because Tony Francis got 6 weeks years ago for kicking someone.

But another caller called in and said he remembered that incident and Francis had kicked a player laying on the ground (a dog act), totally different.

I feel like the AFL is a bit like society/justice system in general at the moment, they prosecute the person that is attacked and defending themselves not the people who do the attacking.

It's what I have been saying all along, the defence should be "well tribunal what should Sicily have done in this instance, just let himself get flattened by 8 thugs?"

Honestly, what is Sis meant to do? Stand there and cop 6 players coming at him while the umps don’t and won’t do anything?

Then the media and afl world get up in arms that he retaliated. It’s comical.
I don't know about you, but I was screaming at the TV saying, somebody help him!
The gloves should come out this week for the whole back line, to show some ticker!

After the break we should of come out and dropped Merrett, but the way we kicked, we probably would of missed him....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back