Toast James Sicily - Hawthorn captain 2023 - AA 2023!

Remove this Banner Ad

Robinson - irrelevant

McGrath - deserves everyone’s respect for openly stating it had zero impact. That’s why James is able to play this week.

I sincerely hope Sicily learns from this.
Mate he didn't give evidence & his radio interview (from earlier in the day) wasn't allowed.

Let's not build him a statue just yet.

James Sicily nothing like he was in 2023. Needs to lift.

I never thought of Sicily as a leader or a captain. I was genuinely very surprised when he was announced as captain last season. However, he stood up to the role mightily last season and probably had the best season by one of our captains, both in terms of individual contribution and leadership, since Hodgey gave it up. He had matured as a player and greatly as a person. But this season, he has lowered his colours. It's not necessarily his fault due to there being next to no defensive structure with Blanck being out, Serong still learning the craft, and our midfield being sh*t for the most part. But still. You'd expect a lot better from your captain and best player. And as Footy Classified rightly pointed out, the likes of Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson, etc. all stood up in largely crap sides. Let's hope his fortunes can turn around in the next few games. We need him at his best more than ever.

I never thought of Sicily as a leader or a captain. I was genuinely very surprised when he was announced as captain last season. However, he stood up to the role mightily last season and probably had the best season by one of our captains, both in terms of individual contribution and leadership, since Hodgey gave it up. He had matured as a player and greatly as a person. But this season, he has lowered his colours. It's not necessarily his fault due to there being next to no defensive structure with Blanck being out, Serong still learning the craft, and our midfield being sh*t for the most part. But still. You'd expect a lot better from your captain and best player. And as Footy Classified rightly pointed out, the likes of Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson, etc. all stood up in largely crap sides. Let's hope his fortunes can turn around in the next few games. We need him at his best more than ever.

He gives the Stratton Leadership vibes

He gives the Stratton Leadership vibes
Agreed. But he actually stood up last season in the role and was more of a captain than I ever thought he could be. He showed more as a captain than Stratton ever did, that's for sure. If he continues like this, though, questions will rightfully be asked of him. And he could be at risk of losing his captaincy to the likes of Dylan Moore and Will Day. Ultimately, I don't think Sis will be the captain of a Hawthorn premiership side. And the way we’re going, he may not even be captain of a finals side or play in a premiership team, let alone be the captain of one. I hope he can turn it around.

Geez that's harsh on Sic.

I admit he's a long way of his peak form from last year but he's still playing at an AFL standard.

Stratts was absolutely cooked his last couple of years. No comparison at all.
I think he's referring to their personalities and ability to command a team rather than their playing ability. An off Sis is 100 times better compared to whatever Stratts was in 2019 and 2020, particularly 2020.

We don’t have many stars and he’s gone from being a top 3 defender in the competition last year to playing really poor footy this year. It’s one of the biggest factors behind our awful 1-6 start to the season.

We don’t have many stars and he’s gone from being a top 3 defender in the competition last year to playing really poor footy this year. It’s one of the biggest factors behind our awful 1-6 start to the season.
A little harsh on Sic.

He's not close to his best that is obvious but he's still producing semi decent footy most weeks.

I think the issue is that we have asked a guy who is 189cm and 88kg to be our Key Defender for the better part of five years and it's probably catching up with him.

In hindsight Blanks injury really was very bad news. I was really looking forward to seeing Sic as the loose man across half back ala Tom Stewart but Blanks injury put an end to that.

I don't know why we haven't tried Phillips yet down back, just to free Sic up a little.

Sic just seems to be doing a lot of un-Sic like things this year. Poor efforts, taking far too long to make a decision and getting smothered or rushing a hack kick straight to the opp. Seems to have a lot on his mind.

I think he's referring to their personalities and ability to command a team rather than their playing ability. An off Sis is 100 times better compared to whatever Stratts was in 2019 and 2020, particularly 2020.

Correct some people aren’t leaders they are followers you need both in a professional organisation, even though Sicily in form is a great player is not a leader but thats ok.

It’s probably one of the big problem in this group we don’t have many at all, as they are to young or they don’t have it in the over 25 group.

I’d make Moore captain next year.

Last edited:
Correct some people aren’t leaders they are followers you need both in a professional organisation, even though Sicily in form is a great player is not a leader but thats ok.

It’s probably one of the big problem in this group we don’t have many at all, as they are to young or they don’t have it in the over 25 group.

I’d make Moore captain next year.
Sicily is definitely a leader, with or without captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Sicily forward… ;)

Sicily had a big day. A standout game. One thing that really stood out for me was when he played forward. He used his clout, strength and body to create space for his team mates. It gave the team so much opportunity to retain the ball inside 50 and a chance to score. A major deficiency all year. He has an uncanny awareness and ability to use his strength and body to create a path. He is a fairly rare beast.

I been telling youse…
He averaged 1.4 goals in his first 25 games as a skinny runt.

Look at this class and tell me he would not kill as a mature player!!

Sicily kicked 30 goals as a skinny, underdeveloped kid in a shitty team, as the 3rd or 4th target.
He'd easily kick 60-70 goals now playing as a primary target.
That would put him among the top 4-5 KPF in the league.l

I been telling youse…
He averaged 1.4 goals in his first 25 games as a skinny runt.

Look at this class and tell me he would not kill as a mature player!!

I believe, and his kicking and work up the ground is exactly what we need.

We have the capability to play him forward now and let others develop. Helps him get into the game a bit more as clubs do a lot of work on him in defence.

This was as good a game I’ve seen in a long time from him to, absolute brutal game and he just didn’t stop.

Firstly, he won’t be a forward. Sent forward because he was a liability defensively because he had a rotten shoulder after it was popped out and dislocated, and his rolled ankle left him leg less at stages. We all know he’s good enough to play there but he’s clearly the best defender in the competition when fully fit and firing in defense.

His effort was humungous tho, to dislocate your shoulder as badly as he did, with the presence physically and setting the tone. Rolling your ankle and continuing to put out 100%, rallying the troops and getting over the line in a nail biter cannot be undersold. Monstrous effort and showing why he’s the leader.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back