Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? He’s completely f’ed this entire process up, making the club an absolute embarrassment along the way.

Plenty of people agree with the overall decision, and I’ve certainly come around to looking forward to Mitch coming on board, but Jeff has not covered himself in glory here at all, and for every metric he supposedly values as good governance, he has failed.

Amongst his complete and utter * ups include canvassing the relocation of the club to Launceston (which he has not retracted fwiw) in March.

Its time to go...

Just last AGM, less than 10 months ago, Kennett was renewed as president unopposed. Where was Dunstall then? I'm not saying Dunstall wouldn't be good (I reckon he would be) but the only thing that has changed in the last 12 months is we turned over AC for SM, which most people support as it was the culmination of a long term plan and prep. Kennett is the same personality he was 10 months ago when he ran unopposed.

The idea that Kennett doing the right thing but we not liking the way it was done when it was Clarkson that made it such a public mess... that doesn't justify an extraordinary challenge, IMO, and I doubt there would be a significant number of members who think it does.

Jason Dunstall took over as captain when Jeff Kennett was pushing to merge the club (5 years after the glory). He joined the board in 2004 and took over as interim CEO at our lowest ebb (11,410 vs Port Adelaide) since 1965 and master minded the post 2004 recovery.

Ian Dicker was so impressed with Dunstall that he canvassed taking the position on full time (instead of Robson) in 2005.

He embodies everything great that is Hawthorn and is the very essence of ‘the hard way...’

In 2010 Jeff Kennett was canvassing for the Melbourne presidency

Jason Dunstall took over as captain when Jeff Kennett was pushing to merge the club (5 years after the glory). He joined the board in 2004 and took over as interim CEO at our lowest ebb (11,410 vs Port Adelaide) since 1965 and master minded the post 2004 recovery.

Ian Dicker was so impressed with Dunstall that he canvassed taking the position on full time (instead of Robson) in 2005.

He embodies everything great that is Hawthorn and is the very essence of ‘the hard way...’

In 2010 Jeff Kennett was canvassing for the Melbourne presidency

Dunstall also picked Clarko when everyone else said we need to go for a former player.

Hrmmmm....

Dunstall also picked Clarko when everyone else said we need to go for a former player.

Hrmmmm....
Dunstall is the ultimate decision maker, fair, hard, balanced and club first, strikes me as not giving a stuff about letting ego get in the way to.

It takes a bit to get him in the ring and that’s completely understandable but his always around when everything might seem a little lost (I don’t think we are there), he is seriously one of the goats of this great club

Last edited:
Dunstall is the ultimate decision maker, fair, hard, balanced and club first, strikes me as not giving a stuff about letting ego get in the way to.

It takes a bit to get him in the ring and that’s completely understandable but his always around when everything might seem a little lost (I don’t think we are there), he is seriously one of the goats of this great club
It’s also poignant that whenever ANY club has a review, one of the first people asked to be on the panel is Jason Dunstall

Eddie had a considerable amount of media involvement while still being president of Collingwood. Not saying Dunstall will happen but I don't think taking on the role would be the end of his media career.

His shown calling our games that he is able to wear different hats:cool:

Hrmmmm....
Correct and Jeff wasn't of the same view as Dunstall and didn't want Clarkson. That has certainly shone through both of Jeff's presidency terms.

Bung earns too much in the media. He'd never give that up.

Why would he need to...

Eddie, James Brayshaw, David Koch, even our current ‘president’.

If anything the presidency of a high profile Victorian club who he won 4 premierships for, kicked 1200 goals, captained, recognised as legend, football director and interim CEO would further aid his media narrative.

He is basically idolised by 80,000 or more financial members as it is...

Aside from Ian Dicker he is probably the only figure that could properly unify a deeply fractured club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to a fellow Hawthorn fan at the gym. He said he hates Kennett and he gets paid too much. After an informative discussion, he just dropped it to "i hate Kennett".

I don't think he handled the recent crap-fest very well, but hopefully things may settle and the club can move along. Generally he does a great job. Loves the club. If he is to be replaced, it needs to be by a quality individual.

Love to know who the leakers are.

I don't think he handled the recent crap-fest very well, but hopefully things may settle and the club can move along. Generally he does a great job. Loves the club. If he is to be replaced, it needs to be by a quality individual
What has he done since his return that has been great?

Hasn’t delivered Dingley, hasn’t delivered a successor, hasn’t found revenue streams to cut our connection to pokies, hasn’t gained a AFLW license…

Has suggested we could relocate to Tasmania, has proudly shown his connection to Hawthorn while picking fights with the state government on national TV, has botched the exit of one our greatest ever coaches and HFC people.

Id absolutely love JD as president, but people can’t overestimate how destabilising a hostile takeover can be to a football club. Dunstall would know that and I’d find it incredibly unlikely he’d be part of a ticket that would make that challenge (we don’t even know if he’d entertain the role to begin with). Hopefully Jeff comes to his senses and brings in someone like JD and fast tracks the transition.

Hasn’t delivered Dingley, hasn’t delivered a successor, hasn’t found revenue streams to cut our connection to pokies, hasn’t gained a AFLW license…

Has suggested we could relocate to Tasmania, has proudly shown his connection to Hawthorn while picking fights with the state government on national TV, has botched the exit of one our greatest ever coaches and HFC people.
+ Cyril-gate

But we all still love him.... Right

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Id absolutely love JD as president, but people can’t overestimate how destabilising a hostile takeover can be to a football club. Dunstall would know that and I’d find it incredibly unlikely he’d be part of a ticket that would make that challenge (we don’t even know if he’d entertain the role to begin with). Hopefully Jeff comes to his senses and brings in someone like JD and fast tracks the transition.

this sounds very familiar and we all know how that ended

Hasn’t delivered Dingley, hasn’t delivered a successor, hasn’t found revenue streams to cut our connection to pokies, hasn’t gained a AFLW license

Hawkk and his propaganda has been working.

Our 100M+ facility has not been built.....yet.
Nor has the AFLW license been granted......yet.

You know both will happen.

Its not currently destabilised ??

Really? He’s completely f’ed this entire process up, making the club an absolute embarrassment along the way.

Plenty of people agree with the overall decision, and I’ve certainly come around to looking forward to Mitch coming on board, but Jeff has not covered himself in glory here at all, and for every metric he supposedly values as good governance, he has failed.

‘Garvey (sackable) stuff up x 4 at least

Bung earns too much in the media. He'd never give that up.

doesnt hutchy have a big say in his employment though….interesting

best outcome is Chief manages the transition away from Jeff, who gets to sit in his office polishing his cricket bat until then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back