List Mgmt. Jeremy Cameron traded to Geelong

What will happen with Cameron?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice guys or not, if we can take him in the PSD with zero risk, we do it.

I think we need more nice guy points first. My bet is we offer P20 and our Fr2.. they will want more. Maybe someone like Narkle or Constable or Fogarty may interest them , they might not interest the players.

If it comes to a poingt where we think a generous offer cant get it done ..then we shift gears.

What ever we pay its for 1 year... he is free next year

What we a relooking at is the Gold Coast Melb situation.. Melb coughed up a early pick for a Pre-agent in May. The next year he was free... and it cost Melb King.

Looks like all other supposed 'ITK's', that Jumping Jack was full of it too.

GWS have just released an official podcast stating that they will match by 5pm this afternoon.

Now let the games begin.

Settle down and pull your head in. Which of my posts says "I'm In the Know". I'm not and I never said I was. I didn't quote anyone and I certainly don't have a direct line to the football club.

If we can't express our opinions then there's really no point having an online forum is there?

My earlier post about what might happen today was my opinion, something I thought we were allowed to express freely? Personally, I think GWS are mad to have matched and that's the angle I've pushed from day one. And again, I stated earlier that I didn't think they would match and that there would have been discussions over the weekend - which I'm there were.

Since GWS want a player but don't need mids, I wonder if Darcy Fort might appease them? Sure he'll never be a gun, but he is certainly a ready made player who can contribute at AFL level

Settle down and pull your head in. Which of my posts says "I'm In the Know". I'm not and I never said I was. I didn't quote anyone and I certainly don't have a direct line to the football club.

If we can't express our opinions then there's really no point having an online forum is there?

My earlier post about what might happen today was my opinion, something I thought we were allowed to express freely? Personally, I think GWS are mad to have matched and that's the angle I've pushed from day one. And again, I stated earlier that I didn't think they would match and that there would have been discussions over the weekend - which I'm there were.

Totally its an opinion website.

Yeah hopefully Geelong holds their nerve here. In a way this is a bit like Jack Martin last year - the optics of appearing tough is more valuable to GWS than picks. It's almost about PR more than extracting value for a club struggling for support. But it could backfire if we're smart: they've spent however long saying they can only spare 750k/year only to find 20% extra after we made out offer? That's not very pro-player. If Cameron's management decide to they could make some noise and GWS, already with a player retention problem, could look like a not so great destination for players.

Geelong need the deal because we've put our eggs in this basket, but GWS maybe need it more. I'd be icing conversations for a week and let it blow up in their faces a bit.

Too risky IMHO.
Why?

I really don’t care if he comes here or not, but GWS have made the min trade being 2first round pics and a best 22 player..they are negotiating in bad faith by not only making it so public during Grand final week but are starting negotiation at a bad starting point

I would rather we walk away and just use the pics in the draft and get some quality kids rather than hand them over to GWS who have had so many high draft pics over the years and still manages to * it up.

If they keep JC on that contract offered it’ll hurt them more in the long run with other players leaving when they can’t get more money

* them

No they have NOT officially matched they have said the intend to match
I intended to date Elle Macpherson too... does not mean it ever happened.

At least not yet. Me and GWS have things in common.

GO Catters

You said the below: 'Ive got pretty good mail that this will get sorted' - that's not an opinion, that's a statement

"Media ran with GWS “intending to match” but there’s been no official statement from GWS.

Said it before, and will say it again. Posturing from GWS but I’ve got pretty good mail that this will get sorted - and sorted quickly. GWS know Cameron is gone - now it’s just about establishing “fair value”.

Cats have been cooking this deal for 2 years. And trust me, the Tim Kelly dealings were about getting the draft hand for Cameron deal. Kelly was always gone. Cameron was always coming.

And make no mistake - the AFL are involved - and were from early on
."

Just admit you were making it up lol, and we'll move on. If you don't have an 'inside line to the footy club', then you can't say 'I've got pretty good mail', lol. The two are directly contradictory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let's get this right from Cameron's perspective.

Step 1: join GWS as a 17 year old and give great service for 10 years as their best player.
Step 2: to help with their salary cap agree to a massively back ended deal.
Step 3: have a global pandemic cause you to have a s**t time in the hub and miss out on ~$750k in pay.
Step 4: see a bunch of teammates who you've outperformed be offered massive $1m+ deals.
Step 5: be lowballed by GWS because that's all they can afford given the other massive contracts they've signed.
Step 6: find a club you want to join for family and lifestyle reasons who will also pay you more than GWS.
Step 7: have GWS miraculously find the extra money to pay you just so that they can bend over your new club in the hope they get slightly more than the compo.

Is there any wonder Cameron doesn't want to stay at GWS?

So let's get this right from Cameron's perspective.

Step 1: join GWS as a 17 year old and give great service for 10 years as their best player.
Step 2: to help with their salary cap agree to a massively back ended deal.
Step 3: have a global pandemic cause you to have a sh*t time in the hub and miss out on ~$750k in pay.
Step 4: see a bunch of teammates who you've outperformed be offered massive $1m+ deals.
Step 5: be lowballed by GWS because that's all they can afford given the other massive contracts they've signed.
Step 6: find a club you want to join for family and lifestyle reasons who will also pay you more than GWS.
Step 7: have GWS miraculously find the extra money to pay you just so that they can bend over your new club in the hope they get slightly more than the compo.

Is there any wonder Cameron doesn't want to stay at GWS?
You forgot step 4b - Allow other plays who you have outperformed to walk to their chosen clubs while denying you the same.

Since GWS want a player but don't need mids, I wonder if Darcy Fort might appease them? Sure he'll never be a gun, but he is certainly a ready made player who can contribute at AFL level
They just got Preuss why would they want Fort?

Just leave it till the last day of trading and see how much GWS want to pay for their bluff, this leaves them in a bad spot to do other trades now committing the money to JC that they didn’t have before.

I suspect like WCE they will fold

Everyone is forgetting that Cameron actually has to agree to sign their contract, GWS may now be stuck with that offer but it doesnt mean Cameron is going to sign it.

There is zero chance a club will leave a 1m gap in their cap just in case we go the PSD route with Cameron.
Yes especially seeing most of the clubs that would be interested in him would have tight caps and can't take a risk as they want to compete for a flag. If you're competing for a flag, you can't risk leaving a million spare in cap.

It's never a good decision to keep players who don't want to be there. Geelong should play hardball here imo.

Yup.

People will bring up TK but the difference is he was happy to play for the Cats and was never disgruntled with the club.

Yeah hopefully Geelong holds their nerve here. In a way this is a bit like Jack Martin last year - the optics of appearing tough is more valuable to GWS than picks. It's almost about PR more than extracting value for a club struggling for support. But it could backfire if we're smart: they've spent however long saying they can only spare 750k/year only to find 20% extra after we made out offer? That's not very pro-player. If Cameron's management decide to they could make some noise and GWS, already with a player retention problem, could look like a not so great destination for players.

Geelong need the deal because we've put our eggs in this basket, but GWS maybe need it more. I'd be icing conversations for a week and let it blow up in their faces a bit.
Don't know if would add any pressure on GWS or AFL, but having some Geelong friendly journos disseminating how JC has spent 10 years at the 'club' and should be UFA, would be nice.

And of course, anything put out there that slaps Cornes... :thumbsu:

Back