Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn’t look great for Melbourne either, who gave up a top quality forward and have regressed since.

Was also in hindsight probably far more beneficial for Hogan to stay in Melbourne.

Gold Coast and Brisbane looking like the big winners here.

Starting to look like seriously dodgy used car salesmen actually.

The more this goes on the more it looks like a terrible trade for Freo.

They were so desperate to land a decent key forward they just ignored all the warning signs.

Ultimately Brisbane were the winners but any Freo supporter could have told you Neale's worth. Would have been better to keep Lachie but our club lost direction in the last few years and the Lions took advantage.

I don't think we were 'desperate' for a key forward like we have been in the past. He was a WA player who we wanted and who at his best is great. The fact that we almost walked away from the deal shows we knew the risks at least to some degree.

Mahoney at one stage said that this would be one of the biggest trades as far as what Freo would have to pay, in history. That clearly didn't eventuate.

Its a revisionist version to say we were desperate.

Doesn’t look great for Melbourne either, who gave up a top quality forward and have regressed since.

Was also in hindsight probably far more beneficial for Hogan to stay in Melbourne.

Gold Coast and Brisbane looking like the big winners here.

Missing your best players tends to have that effect.

If we can somehow get May fit and on the park for extended periods the trade will work out fine for us. He was well and truly behind the eightball last year. However has lost some weight and is training strongly. We never had near our best team out there and fit last season.

We knew the risks when we took him

1) Bell legitimately wanted to bail out, Hogan and his manager met with Bell and Rosich on the weekend in the middle of trade week to help push it through (reported in the papers over here)
2) We took a superstar young forward on a 3 year deal that is apparently heavily based on playing. Would have been a 5 year deal at minimum if he had no issues

I don’t hold anything against Hogan, AFL football pressure isn’t for everyone and whatever his issues are they are indicative of someone who isn’t in a good state of mind. Dude needs to sort out his life.

Sucks that once again it seems like we can’t get a (very expensive) gamble to pay off

We knew the risks when we took him

1) Bell legitimately wanted to bail out, Hogan and his manager met with Bell and Rosich on the weekend in the middle of trade week to help push it through (reported in the papers over here)
2) We took a superstar young forward on a 3 year deal that is apparently heavily based on playing. Would have been a 5 year deal at minimum if he had no issues

I don’t hold anything against Hogan, AFL football pressure isn’t for everyone and whatever his issues are they are indicative of someone who isn’t in a good state of mind. Dude needs to sort out his life.

Sucks that once again it seems like we can’t get a (very expensive) gamble to pay off
Only issue I have is with you calling him a Superstar.

I’d say there’s legitimately maybe 5 to 7 superstar KP forwards in the game, and Hogan isn’t one.

Only issue I have is with you calling him a Superstar.

I’d say there’s legitimately maybe 5 to 7 superstar KP forwards in the game, and Hogan isn’t one.
Fans can call any players superstar, spud, list clogger , they paid membership. You can disagree but I can't see an issue with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a bit like the Yarran deal. Both teams knew there was an issue, took the risk anyway, thought they could turn the player around but failed. At least there is still time to get Hogan right.

4c0NKCK.png

He needs to bring out another book now...

Seems a bit like the Yarran deal. Both teams knew there was an issue, took the risk anyway, thought they could turn the player around but failed. At least there is still time to get Hogan right.

You mean the deal for the pick that landed us Cuningham, who has played 24 games and is in our best 22?

That’s a pretty decisive win for us.

You mean the deal for the pick that landed us Cuningham, who has played 24 games and is in our best 22?

That’s a pretty decisive win for us.
Both winner, Carlton got Cunningham, Richmond won a flag after let go of Yarran in 2017.
Everybody make mistake, but admited it and Delisted a player like Yarran I think pretty decisive for them.

Last edited:
Both winner, Carlton got Cunningham, Richmond won a flag after let go of Yarran in 2017.
Everybody make mistake, but admited it and Delisted a player like Yarran I think pretty decisive for them.

Yarran did nothing to help them win the flag, so the net effect is still us winning the trade.That’s like saying picking up Corey Ellis at Pick 12 in 2014 was a good decision because they won the 2017 flag with him on the list.

It’s a really counterproductive way of looking at trading, and you can’t just write off each trade in isolation and call it even because of the success of the team.

Yarran was a complete list management misfire by Richmond, and Carlton were the only beneficiaries having extracted some senior games from Cuningham and even more importantly having him as a best 22 player 4 years on.

Yarran did nothing to help them win the flag, so the net effect is still us winning the trade.That’s like saying picking up Corey Ellis at Pick 12 in 2014 was a good decision because they won the 2017 flag with him on the list.

It’s a really counterproductive way of looking at trading, and you can’t just write off each trade in isolation and call it even because of the success of the team.

Yarran was a complete list management misfire by Richmond, and Carlton were the only beneficiaries having extracted some senior games from Cuningham and even more importantly having him as a best 22 player 4 years on.
I think Yarran misfire make Richmond wiser in utilise players on their list like Jayden short, Nathan broad, Graham. After four years on Cunningham is best 22 players and yet unknown pickett, Liam baker already got a flag compare to Cunningham.

Anyway Hogan need some time to sort his stuff out. My hope is with or without Hogan Fremantle win their match against Carlton.

I think Yarran misfire make Richmond wiser in utilise players on their list like Jayden short, Nathan broad, Graham. After four years on Cunningham is best 22 players and yet unknown pickett, Liam baker already got a flag compare to Cunningham.

Their place in the side has nothing to do with Yarran, they earnt their spots on merit and they aren’t even like for like players!

Pickett and Baker also have no direct relationship to the trade, having being acquired outside the ND. You can’t equate their inclusion in the side by virtue of Yarran’s absence, and Pickett wasn’t even picked up in the same period Yarran was let go.

You’re making some huge reaches, of which none significantly account for the end result of the trade. You’ve also jumped from arguing the impact of the trade on the 2017 flag, of which Short, Pickett and Baker weren’t even part of to include the 2019 premiership which was 2 years after Yarran left.

You’re clutching at the straws in a big way here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back