Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide may have wanted to square up with us because of the Tippett (non) trade. Maybe they did, but I am saying they were completely different scenarios.

There was nothing we could offer them because the system didn't allow it. We tried to push out White, but he didn't want to go. What were we supposed to do? Invent a draft pick?

The system was changed so that teams could offer fair deals in trades with future picks if necessary. Adelaide had multiple ways to offer a fair deal and chose not to because they wanted to have their cake.
Fair enough. To be honest I think you're over analysing it to a degree, when in the end it's as simple as Crows and Swans being at a stalemate in what they wanted to offer/agree on for Tippett which led to a messy situation and a fair bit of a sour taste in the aftermath. 100% Adelaide felt we could've offered alternatives that would've satisfied them, but we didn't want to budge on White + a pick. Not sure why you're trying to shoehorn future picks into the argument since both clubs were working with what was allowed at the time, nobody ever said "If only we could trade future picks."

Fair enough. To be honest I think you're over analysing it to a degree, when in the end it's as simple as Crows and Swans being at a stalemate in what they wanted to offer/agree on for Tippett which led to a messy situation and a fair bit of a sour taste in the aftermath. 100% Adelaide felt we could've offered alternatives that would've satisfied them, but we didn't want to budge on White + a pick. Not sure why you're trying to shoehorn future picks into the argument since both clubs were working with what was allowed at the time, nobody ever said "If only we could trade future picks."

Future picks weren't a thing back then. If they were, I am confident we would have offered a fairer deal.

You say we refused to budge. There was nothing we could budge with.

We didn't have anything better to offer them. We offered them our first pick and tried to push a young key forward out against his will. You can't trade players against their will so I don't know what else we could have done to make them a better offer.

The example of all this is the Mitchell trade. Despite it being a bad trade for us, Hawthorn only had pick 14 that they could offer, given they also had to do a deal for O'Meara, despite having the flexibility of future picks. I don't think anyone thinks Hawthorn were unreasonable with that trade. That's all they could do and we had to cop it.

Future picks weren't a thing back then. If they were, I am confident we would have offered a fairer deal.

You say we refused to budge. There was nothing we could budge with.

We didn't have anything better to offer them. We offered them our first pick and tried to push a young key forward out against his will. You can't trade players against their will so I don't know what else we could have done to make them a better offer.

The example of all this is the Mitchell trade. Despite it being a bad trade for us, Hawthorn only had pick 14 that they could offer, given they also had to do a deal for O'Meara, despite having the flexibility of future picks. I don't think anyone thinks Hawthorn were unreasonable with that trade. That's all they could do and we had to cop it.
If future picks were available then, maybe a better deal could've been offered, or maybe not; we'll never know. But since it wasn't an option at the time, it's an irrelevent point.

The fairer deal Crows wanted at the time was either Sam Reid or Heath Grundy which were players we didn't want to part with if I remember right. So there was an impasse. Crows felt they were being insulted being offered White. We played hard ball only offering White. Adelaide have every right to feel filthy over how the whole situation panned out; some of it their own doing. It happens. We felt the exact same with what they offered us with Dawson. It happens. Every club looks after their own interests and tries to play hard ball for their own benefit.

I give up. Not going to go on about this.

Crows also ****ed themselves over, not just by paying him outside the cap, they also wrote in his contract that they would trade him for like a second round pick at the end of his contract and then when we found out and offered it they got all shitty about it.

Crows also ****ed themselves over, not just by paying him outside the cap, they also wrote in his contract that they would trade him for like a second round pick at the end of his contract and then when we found out and offered it they got all shitty about it.
We also offered more than what they had obliged themselves to accept in the trade.

That's how I have always viewed him and like you, he was a favourite. I think the fans held him in higher regard than the club.
The club made a decent offer and were prepared to lose Hewett to keep him. Undervalued? Nah! He had his reasons for leaving that had SFA to do with the Swans per se. All about family. I believe the club were unhappy because they believed he had given his word and then reneged.

Exactly what I was going to say. My (somewhat hazy) recollection is what you said: Tippo got them to write down that they would trade him to the club he nominated for a second rounder. They tried to renege (when they realised he wasn't going to GoCo) and they were screwing him around. It's possible he was the one who released the dodgy contract that got them all banned and punished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly what I was going to say. My (somewhat hazy) recollection is what you said: Tippo got them to write down that they would trade him to the club he nominated for a second rounder. They tried to renege (when they realised he wasn't going to GoCo) and they were screwing him around. It's possible he was the one who released the dodgy contract that got them all banned and punished.
Tippo fell short of 100 for us - but does qualify for the Crows....although I think I can state with confidence that's NEVER going to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back