Recommitted Josh Dunkley [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

Twomey seems to believe we have enough cap space to retain all our players in addition to making plays this offseason, which surprises me. I'd have thought we'd be running tight once everyone is extended.
It feels like a lot of clubs are in this position. Not just the teams at the bottom

That Port have a warchest is surprising, but not altogether unexpected.
Smart cap management will be a powerful tool. Esp when you get guys like Wines saying they'll take paycuts at 26 minus any flag glory for a Merrett.

What is going to affect many clubs (including Essendon and Bulldogs) is that IMO North's war chest will make others, even ones well prepared, look tiny. And I suspect they'll be desperate for someone to come RFA or via PSD so that they can keep their picks. That will mean huge offers, which even if kids reject for less (which almost all will) will still push up salaries. 20% off monster offers versus 20% off good offers is still an increase.

What is going to affect many clubs (including Essendon and Bulldogs) is that IMO North's war chest will make others, even ones well prepared, look tiny. And I suspect they'll be desperate for someone to come RFA or via PSD so that they can keep their picks. That will mean huge offers, which even if kids reject for less (which almost all will) will still push up salaries. 20% off monster offers versus 20% off good offers is still an increase.
If previous years have shown anything it is that top tier players aren't willing to take massive contracts to play at North.

If previous years have shown anything it is that top tier players aren't willing to take massive contracts to play at North.
Agreed. But that doesn't mean they don't listen first, and it doesn't influence what they ask for.

If you say the player stays for 20% less, then if North has offered them the world they might accept 25% less, and still be re-signing for more than if North had never made an offer and they'd taken 20% less of what other suitors promised.

And as I said, this will be a problem for all clubs this year. I've no idea who North would be spending much cap on beyond a handful of players.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean they don't listen first, and it doesn't influence what they ask for.

If you say the player stays for 20% less, then if North has offered them the world they might accept 25% less, and still be re-signing for more than if North had never made an offer and they'd taken 20% less of what other suitors promised.

And as I said, this will be a problem for all clubs this year. I've no idea who North would be spending much cap on beyond a handful of players.
Aren't they forced to spend a percentage of it though every year? So they can't just have an extremely large amount not being used.

If anything, Dunkley's value has increased this season.

Dodoro blew it, and there is no point pretending otherwise.

Un surprising to see a Carlton supporter throwing shade on an Essendon staff member but this clearly a matter of opinion.

Thinking a trade is blown simply because it went beyond your price limit is an odd take on it.

In my opinion he would have blown the trade had he paid the asking price for Dunkley. it was incredible overs not suitable for a re building club.

Un surprising to see a Carlton supporter throwing shade on an Essendon staff member but this clearly a matter of opinion.

Thinking a trade is blown simply because it went beyond your price limit is an odd take on it.

In my opinion he would have blown the trade had he paid the asking price for Dunkley. it was incredible overs not suitable for a re building club.

Idiots don’t understand this. Rather strange when a few clubs supporters are ones who have been re building for as long as we have not played finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not seeing any top level talent going to North in the next couple years - warchest or not.

Whilst players want to get paid, they also want to win - if you're a 24-25yo hitting your prime years why thrown them away to go play for a club that has a fairly significant uphill battle ahead of them.

Dunkley is a jet he is average 30 disposals, 5.2 clearances, 6.2 tackles per game & kicking goals he has every part of the game covered.

And he's gone. Next time just hit the report button instead of engaging.

I can’t stress this enough.

A note to all: when you see him, report him and leave it for the mods to handle.

Responding just adds to our work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyways, back to Dunkley.

Would love him at Essendon, but certainly the reported asking price from last year was too high (and the Dogs had every right to do that).

I'd be open to trading next years first, as we are likely to have some father sons to consider, but this year? Nah, would rather hold it.

At 24 he's still young enough to be worth the investment, but our first priority has to be investment in the draft.

I'd be more inclined to chase Josh Kelly, if we want to splash cash lets do it without sacrificing our draft hand.

Would love him at Essendon, but certainly the reported asking price from last year was too high (and the Dogs had every right to do that).

I'd be open to trading next years first, as we are likely to have some father sons to consider, but this year? Nah, would rather hold it.

At 24 he's still young enough to be worth the investment, but our first priority has to be investment in the draft.

I'd be more inclined to chase Josh Kelly, if we want to splash cash lets do it without sacrificing our draft hand.
He will be worth more this year he still has another year to go and is playing the best footy of his career & other clubs will considering and realising just how good he is.

I’m confused by Kelly’s contract clause. If you trade for him, would you effectively be taking on that contract? Or can it be ripped up? He has a 7 year opt in option or something silly like that.

He will be worth more this year he still has another year to go and is playing the best footy of his career & other clubs will considering and realising just how good he is.

Yeah I remember thinking last year it'd be a bloody steal if we could pry him loose - but again, cost was just too high.

I’m confused by Kelly’s contract clause. If you trade for him, would you effectively be taking on that contract? Or can it be ripped up? He has a 7 year opt in option or something silly like that.

Because he's got an opt-in contract, he can effectively go as a FA.

BUT because his contract with GWS is so lucrative, GWS can likely match and force a trade.

Essendon and GWS also have a fairly frost relationship.

I'd suggest the only way that gets done is if GWS are bursting at the seams cap-wise, which would seem unlikely with Cameron gone.

What if you let Merrett walk and say you finish bottom 3 you get pick 4 as compo for Merrett. Would you trade pick four Dunkey and possibly the dogs first round pick in return?

Because he's got an opt-in contract, he can effectively go as a FA.

BUT because his contract with GWS is so lucrative, GWS can likely match and force a trade.

Essendon and GWS also have a fairly frost relationship.

I'd suggest the only way that gets done is if GWS are bursting at the seams cap-wise, which would seem unlikely with Cameron gone.
It’s so strange. The opt in from reports is from Kelly’s side so its not a trigger as such. Bizarre stuff.

What if you let Merrett walk and say you finish bottom 3 you get pick 4 as compo for Merrett. Would you trade pick four Dunkey and possibly the dogs first round pick in return?
We'd be getting ripped off ******* hard in a deal like that. Given Dunkleys current form, Pick 4 should be the minimum price with nothing back. I'd much rather keep him regardless

I don't think the Dogs would do that deal.

Moreover, Merrett walking would indicate more than just the loss of a star - if he goes, it signals he doesn't think we've got a list capable of challenging in his career; I don't believe Dunkley would renew interest in coming in that case.

Given both Shiel and Treloar (from GWS to Pies) went for two 1sts with a 2nd coming back, would the Bombers look to do that? I’d think that would be the minimum we’d accept given he’s still contracted and playing very well.

Given both Shiel and Treloar (from GWS to Pies) went for two 1sts with a 2nd coming back, would the Bombers look to do that? I’d think that would be the minimum we’d accept given he’s still contracted and playing very well.

I really don't think we would (though I'm not Dodoro, obviously).

Two reasons:

1) I don't think anyone is particularly happy about the value we've gotten for Shiel.
-and-
2) We've finally hit early picks hard (Cox, Perkins, Reid) and realise just how bloody good it is getting talented kids in the door.

Hence, I don't think we're paying that for Dunkley.

Moreover, I think the costs for Shiel, Treloar, Cameron are absurd - my gut feel is those sorts of demands will start to be dialed back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back