Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

Am I missing something? 279 games?
Official pre-season matches are counted towards life membership for some reason

The 33-year-old midfielder qualified for life membership when he ran out for his 300th official AFL game – combining 279 premiership games and 24 pre-season games played for Hawthorn and Sydney Swans.

Another week another new position for our former captain. I thought he did quite well on the wing, 296 metres gained which was the 8th best Swan. How was the kick to Hayward in the first as we?

But longer time I can’t see him playing on the wing full time, chasing younger speedier players up and down the ground. Seems like he is filling in where there is a gap in the team at the moment. Lloyd in defence last week, McInerney on the wing this week but his sadly would seem to point to him being squeezed out when McInerney and Papley return.

Another week another new position for our former captain. I thought he did quite well on the wing, 296 metres gained which was the 8th best Swan. How was the kick to Hayward in the first as we?

But longer time I can’t see him playing on the wing full time, chasing younger speedier players up and down the ground. Seems like he is filling in where there is a gap in the team at the moment. Lloyd in defence last week, McInerney on the wing this week but his sadly would seem to point to him being squeezed out when McInerney and Papley return.

Good call, although I thought his experience and nous made up for a lack of legs. Forget who he run down for a tackle and holding the ball, but he had no right to catch him and did.

I think he will fill in the gaps but will be part of the 22/23 every week.

Will be thrown in to the middle when the heat is the hottest at the right time of year. September.

It is great to see the young swans mids get valuable time at stoppages around the ground and centre bounces.

JPK is a standard setter but will be so valuable fresh in finals with a body not smashed from pillar to post.

Ryan O'Keefe played 4 games in 2014 and the 4th was a poor performance against North Melbourne at the SCG that led to him being dropped and he never played again.

I doubt that happens here but it would be weird if that happened again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the tile of this thread suggests Kennedy is still the contested possession king. Leading contested possession winner on the ground yesterday. Also took two contested marks equal with Buddy for the day and best for the team.

His best position is in the midfield. Although he took a great mark in the last deep in defence he’s not a defender. No doubt has lost a yard of pace.

As the tile of this thread suggests Kennedy is still the contested possession king. Leading contested possession winner on the ground yesterday. Also took two contested marks equal with Buddy for the day and best for the team.

His best position is in the midfield. Although he took a great mark in the last deep in defence he’s not a defender. No doubt has lost a yard of pace.
He can still find the ball. I suspect even in 30 years time he still could. The issue is his speed and explosiveness. His ability to defend once the clearance is lost or ability to beak from the pack are just not what they once were, nor is ability to chase down much younger opponents. Hence Horse trying him in defence in attempt to massage another year out of Joey. I really hope it works out as he deserves to go out on top. However as ROK showed, there are no fairytales in pro sport. I'm sure Horse had this exact conversation with Joey when he signed on for this year.

The Josh Kennedy issue might be the most nuanced problem we have currently.

He's still best 22 as a inside midfielder. I don't think he's best 22 anywhere else on the ground.
You can hide speed with strength in the coal face, and ultimately we've been working on contested ball.
But we seem desperate not to have him in the middle.
We seem okay with putting basically everyone else on the middle, but have avoid JPK. Maybe, like an alcoholic, Horse is worried he won't be able to stop at putting him in their once?

I also think JPK would still be our strongest midfielder, and could physically bully other midfielders like he did last year against Dusty.
I would be more than happy to see JPK in the midfield vs Carlton.

But I don't think it'll happen, so I don't know if I want to see him in the team unless it's on ball. Hope he proves me wrong, such an incredible player.

I don't quite get the knocks on JPK. The contested inside bull isn't cut out for the half back flank? I am SHOCKED!

We should be aiming our frustrations not at JPK, who is just doing the best he can in a role he's clearly not suited to, but at the coaches who seem to be persisting with it. They get a lot right but on this one I think they've got it dead wrong.

Only once we see how the current JPK performs on the inside can we say whether he's "done" or not.

I don't quite get the knocks on JPK. The contested inside bull isn't cut out for the half back flank? I am SHOCKED!

We should be aiming our frustrations not at JPK, who is just doing the best he can in a role he's clearly not suited to, but at the coaches who seem to be persisting with it. They get a lot right but on this one I think they've got it dead wrong.

Only once we see how the current JPK performs on the inside can we say whether he's "done" or not.

I obviously disagree with this. He was the bull in one of the worst midfield groups for the past couple of years. It had to be addressed which is what the coaching group is doing. Primo Joey from 5 or 6 years ago and I would agree. But this is 33 yo JPK who is slow and has struggled to adapt to our game style and that of Oppo clubs.

Hard Pass.

I obviously disagree with this. He was the bull in one of the worst midfield groups for the past couple of years. It had to be addressed which is what the coaching group is doing. Primo Joey from 5 or 6 years ago and I would agree. But this is 33 yo JPK who is slow and has struggled to adapt to our game style and that of Oppo clubs.

Hard Pass.
Haven't seen the game against North yet but at this stage I don't see what Rowbottom offers on form atm over JPK

I do agree that Parker/JPK shouldn't attend stoppages together but no reason a Warner/JPK/Mills or Florrent/Gulden/JPK centre bounce couldn't work

Hard Pass.

See I reckon he did adapt. Last year he played exactly like George Hewett. Probably realised he could no longer crash packs and be the bullocking mid he once was, so opted for a lot more basic but effective handballs and chip kicks to the outside players. Absolutely no reason he can't still do that.

See I reckon he did adapt. Last year he played exactly like George Hewett. Probably realised he could no longer crash packs and be the bullocking mid he once was, so opted for a lot more basic but effective handballs and chip kicks to the outside players. Absolutely no reason he can't still do that.

George would hit targets almost invariably. JPK not so.

I get the sense the coaching staff have made a call not to play Kennedy in the guts under any circumstances, until x...

I'm assuming he'll be used as an inside mid in a 'break in case of emergency' situation in an elimination final (provided he's still in the side come finals).

I take it the coaches aren't going to sell our future on the off chance we're competing at the pointy end. But they know development in the youngsters is much more likely to contribute to our next flag than playing Kennedy in the inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back