Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We are rather stretched on personel with poor or not yet ready players in the 22, along with some experienced players like Walters, Tabs and Young having shockers and got within a kick of a top 4 team away from home.

I honestly question the footy IQ of anyone saying the way the side has been coached the last 2 weeks is poor, the defensive strategy worked extremely well especially against dumbarse Ken.

Oh yeah and although he did just have a poor game as well it's obvious that Jackson leading the ruck is ok for maybe a game or 2 but long term it robs us of him too much elsewhere reducing his effectiveness.

We are rather stretched on personel with poor or not yet ready players in the 22, along with some experienced players like Walters, Tabs and Young having shockers and got within a kick of a top 4 team away from home.

I honestly question the footy IQ of anyone saying the way the side has been coached the last 2 weeks is poor, the defensive strategy worked extremely well especially against dumbarse Ken.

Oh yeah and although he did just have a poor game as well it's obvious that Jackson leading the ruck is ok for maybe a game or 2 but long term it robs us of him too much elsewhere reducing his effectiveness.
Absolutely we have the defensive qualities to play finals.
Offensively we are off the mark.

Feels like we've gone back a few years and sorted out our backline (2022)

Then we adjusted things to try score more, with some success but ultimately missing the finals (2023)

Now we are back in 2022. Hopefully as the season unfolds we develop more of a balance

Need goals from our mids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need goals from our mids

This. Very much this.

It's as if our whole clubs philosophy for the past 10 years has been contested beasts who tackle and forwards who lock the ball in.

Admirable skills but you know what else creates pressure? Kicking goals.

We don't seem to encourage players to be selfish on goals. For all of Banfields lack of skill you can't fault his hunger for kicking a snag. Brayshaw seems to want to shy away from kicking goals, him kicking that one yesterday was awesome to see.

Switkowski is lauded for tackling, I'd like to see hum lauded for kicking some freaking goals.

Amiss is a tasty centrepiece but we need to prioritise goal kicking. I was hoping Sturt was going to be that quick mid sized player who could be a right pain to match up, clearly it's back to the drawing board.

This. Very much this.

It's as if our whole clubs philosophy for the past 10 years has been contested beasts who tackle and forwards who lock the ball in.

Admirable skills but you know what else creates pressure? Kicking goals.

We don't seem to encourage players to be selfish on goals. For all of Banfields lack of skill you can't fault his hunger for kicking a snag. Brayshaw seems to want to shy away from kicking goals, him kicking that one yesterday was awesome to see.

Switkowski is lauded for tackling, I'd like to see hum lauded for kicking some freaking goals.

Amiss is a tasty centrepiece but we need to prioritise goal kicking. I was hoping Sturt was going to be that quick mid sized player who could be a right pain to match up, clearly it's back to the drawing board.

I'll take your point re: banners - spudded 3 goals last night but at least he knows it's his turn and goes

Emmett also but is getting caught a few times when his eyes light up seeing the sticks in front of him

It's the midfield

You'd argue seeing and Brayshaw are excellent mids, but won't be great until they add this string to thier bow

Hopefully young starts also , feel like we are wasting his kick just to have a bigger body in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turgid and boring football. No interest in trying to actually outscore a team. It's all about trying to defend a score. Works occasionally but the last two weeks it's worked against us. Last three games are 63, 63 and 69.
This post just demonstrates how much of a footy nuffie you are, absolutely clueless.

Freo generated enough opportunities to easily score 100+ last night. They are playing top four football currently and unfortunately all of their issues are personnel related, not game plan.

Taberner and Emmett in particular absolutely killed us. Taberner is so past it it isn't funny and Emmett is really lacking composure. With Emmett he's almost trying to hard.

In addition, our mids are not clinical enough in front of goals, again, Brayshaw and Serong missed shots they should be nailing.

Darcy cannot return fast enough so that we can put Taberner behind us. And my goodness if Sam Sturt was fit, he'd be walking into the side.

Freo didn't just match it with Port, they dominated them for large periods without enough reward. They're right in the mix this season.

This post just demonstrates how much of a footy nuffie you are, absolutely clueless.

Freo generated enough opportunities to easily score 100+ last night. They are playing top four football currently and unfortunately all of their issues are personnel related, not game plan.

Taberner and Emmett in particular absolutely killed us. Taberner is so past it it isn't funny and Emmett is really lacking composure. With Emmett he's almost trying to hard.

In addition, our mids are not clinical enough in front of goals, again, Brayshaw and Serong missed shots they should be nailing.

Darcy cannot return fast enough so that we can put Taberner behind us. And my goodness if Sam Sturt was fit, he'd be walking into the side.

Freo didn't just match it with Port, they dominated them for large periods without enough reward. They're right in the mix this season.

Agree we're certainly in the mix.

We might even get things right at the business end of the season too as we get a few more games into the younger players and maybe blood Simpson.

Emmett isn't a bad player in our best 22.

Yes I agree with all this, but I can see the counter argument that we're not 'good enough' to put teams away which is frustrating to watch for sure. Sadly, you'll always get posters who veer so comfortably to the negative perceptions and want to yammer that down other posters throats, another satisfying round of "I told you so" when things go wrong. Weirdly enough, they're barely around when things go well or talk through points with debate, or reason when things are up in the air. It's just a weird way to be, like wearing misery as a favourite coat.

I'll never understand it, but I usually just shrug my shoulders and focus on what I want to focus on now, if people can't see that everything is clicking bar the forward line (and yes that's a deeply frustrating element of the game right now), but with players like Darcy and Frederick to come back meaning Jackson can play less in the ruck (a role that's clearly fatiguing him at the mo..) and Treacy who is about to explode in white hot form not having to ruck. Banfield has been heaps better this year but last night was a more average game for him, but I reckon if Freddy had that moment when Banners was streaming to goal, he'd have been harder to catch. Jaeger and Switta also jarred momentum within minutes in the 3rd with guilt-edged missed chances. But like you said, we're creating chances and we knew Port were looking for fast transition through the corridor and we blocked that up most of the night. Pearce again bordering on imperious/manic, shrugging off folk and bursting forward was seriously impressive. I was hoping Treacy would kick a PB as he threatened to burst the game open in the 2nd with his 3 goals.

Just a shame we couldn't seal the deal but the last 2 weeks have proven we're tough to beat, we need more firepower going forward and when we get it, we'll be a top 4 contender.

Yes I agree with all this, but I can see the counter argument that we're not 'good enough' to put teams away which is frustrating to watch for sure. Sadly, you'll always get posters who veer so comfortably to the negative perceptions and want to yammer that down other posters throats, another satisfying round of "I told you so" when things go wrong. Weirdly enough, they're barely around when things go well or talk through points with debate, or reason when things are up in the air. It's just a weird way to be, like wearing misery as a favourite coat.

I'll never understand it, but I usually just shrug my shoulders and focus on what I want to focus on now, if people can't see that everything is clicking bar the forward line (and yes that's a deeply frustrating element of the game right now), but with players like Darcy and Frederick to come back meaning Jackson can play less in the ruck (a role that's clearly fatiguing him at the mo..) and Treacy who is about to explode in white hot form not having to ruck. Banfield has been heaps better this year but last night was a more average game for him, but I reckon if Freddy had that moment when Banners was streaming to goal, he'd have been harder to catch. Jaeger and Switta also jarred momentum within minutes in the 3rd with guilt-edged missed chances. But like you said, we're creating chances and we knew Port were looking for fast transition through the corridor and we blocked that up most of the night. Pearce again bordering on imperious/manic, shrugging off folk and bursting forward was seriously impressive. I was hoping Treacy would kick a PB as he threatened to burst the game open in the 2nd with his 3 goals.

Just a shame we couldn't seal the deal but the last 2 weeks have proven we're tough to beat, we need more firepower going forward and when we get it, we'll be a top 4 contender.
Yep and that’s what the ignore button is for.

Well said..but it’s rd 5. We are 3/2 and still in it. We need to reinvent a few, reposition a few and try add more firepower on the go. Then add the personnel at seasons end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said..but it’s rd 5. We are 3/2 and still in it. We need to reinvent a few, reposition a few and try add more firepower on the go. Then add the personnel at seasons end.
Jackson, Frederick and end of 2023 Sturt (not the hampered version we are currently seeing at Peel) is a lot of firepower to add to Amiss, Walters and Treacy.

Jackson, Frederick and end of 2023 Sturt (not the hampered version we are currently seeing at Peel) is a lot of firepower to add to Amiss, Walters and Treacy.
I acutally agree.

I dont think the forward line is as bad as it is. Its definately not our main weakness to be fair.

There is quality and Quantity.

I acutally agree.

I dont think the forward line is as bad as it is. Its definately not our main weakness to be fair.

I am very curious to see what we do this week, if we give Ras a full game replacing the Switta forward/mid role and tell him to just chase and pressure and smother everything in sight, with Sturt taking Frederick’s run into space at all times to get on the end of the chain on the outside role, we’d have the tallest forward line we’ve ever had.
Jackson 199 (forward/Ruck)
Amiss 196 (FF)
Treacy 195 (CHF)
Sturt 190 (HHF)
Erasmus 190 (Forward/Mid pressure)
Emmett 186 (FP pressure)
Walters 176 (FP crumber)

If that does happen and will still kick it Walters in a 1:1 marking contest I may have the brick the tv!

What do you think the main weakness is?
Backline, specifically tall defenders. Alex Pearce and Brennan Cox are good. We lose one and it's bad, lose both and it's dire.

I remember that short 2020 season. We had 6 tall defenders that were 190 cm or taller. Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue Tobe Watson and Duman

Backline, specifically tall defenders. Alex Pearce and Brennan Cox are good. We lose one and it's bad, lose both and it's dire.

I remember that short 2020 season. We had 6 tall defenders that were 190 cm or taller. Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue Tobe Watson and Duman
and if we lost amiss/treacy?

ryan can play tall, mcdonald, draper, davies. have enough talen down back, having to play tabs for any length of time is a death sentence unfortunately

Every club has to worry about those hypotheticals though, you start taking the best 2 defenders out of each team, or the best mids and forwards and you see a difference. Defense is our strongest area, you said we lose 1 - we have, Brennan Cox. If we lose Pearce now, then yes - THAT'S bad. But we've covered Cox, thankfully - no probs. Rather have Cox available, but defense (all over the ground) is rock solid.

Imagine if we had Charlie Curnow with Amiss, how many games do you think we'd have lost then? We've only lost the 2 because of away travel, some dodgy umpiring and some lackadaisical stuff in the final 2 or 3 mins. We're a peacock's prick away from 5-0.

We're going quite okay, let's hope we can smack the Budgies into the exosphere of irrelevancy.

I’m fine with his coaching this year, I think he struck a good balance between attacking and defending, I can’t blame him for poor execution in attack. We sure create enough chances. Only problem I have with J-Lo atm is sub selection. None selected so far are impact players, and even if his tank isn’t built up yet I’d rather see someone like Stanley come in for a quarter than JOM or Ras who should either be picked in 22 or not at all.

What do you think the main weakness is?
I acutally agree.

Please explain this .
We have good players, but as forwards, do not kick goals, which is waht forwards are supposed to do.
At the moment, it is as bad as it is.

WOuld it surprise you to learn that we actually have more 190+ defenders now than in 2020?

Cox 195
Pearce 201
McDonald 196
Draper 197
Davies 196
Murphy 200
Chapman 193
Jones 199

Roughly 18% of the list.

WOuld it surprise you to learn that we actually have more 190+ defenders now than in 2020?

Cox 195
Pearce 201
McDonald 196
Draper 197
Davies 196
Murphy 200
Chapman 193
Jones 199

Roughly 18% of the list.
Jones is a forward/Ruck isn’t he? Anyway your point is still valid, we have more than enough KPDs at the moment on the list, even with 2 (Cox) and 3 (McDonald) unavailable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back