Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll finish in the 8 at the end of this round.

That's all with having a pretty average season so far. It'll be an interesting end to the season. It could go very badly but also there's still a chance we kick straight and find more consistency.
I think we will beat Melbourne in Darwin

We played attacking footy at the start…we lost some ascendancy midfield particularly in the third quarter.

Once young got negated it was only Serong winning ball.

Moving Switta midfield was a good move.
and looks like Serong was unwell? most of us saw him puke in the dying moments

We threw the gameplan in the trash can the last 10 min and nearly won. What does that say?
It says you have no feckin idea.

According to you the players took it into their own hands & miraculously got a good result without no pre instruction or training for that situation. That switch in mindset & gamestyle is trained for.

To me it says that your oversimplifying a complicated subject.
Although I think there is a pattern there, when we give-up trying to get the pre-ordained blueprint right we look good. We suddenly perform much better when there is no longer any real expectation on us. It happened big time in 2023 pre-bye and end of season. Complicated ? Yes. Oversimplification? No.

According to you the players took it into their own hands & miraculously got a good result without no pre instruction or training for that situation. That switch in mindset & gamestyle is trained for.
Yep JL even said in the presser they trained the ‘win the game’ mode this week at training with AP going forward.

No, it says you have no feckin idea. Eisenhower said, 'The plan is nothing, planning is everything.' To spell it out, the fact that you abandon trying to execute the details doesn't render your preparation null and void.

To translate that to what we are seeing in Freo's gamestyle: too much tight defensive drill, not enough trust your defensive drill and let your attacking flair rip.

No, it says you have no feckin idea. Eisenhower said, 'The plan is nothing, planning is everything.' To spell it out, the fact that you abandon trying to execute the details doesn't render your preparation null and void.

To translate that to what we are seeing in Freo's gamestyle: too much tight defensive drill, not enough trust your defensive drill and let your attacking flair rip.

Yeah I’m not sure it’s that simple.

There’s two teams on the park. When we had midfield ascendency (first 15 of the first, part of the second, last ten of the last) you look a million bucks.

Collingwood clamped down on Young, started winning the ball, we now lose field position and were constantly under pressure.

You can’t always play that way. Lose field position, under pressure, uncertainty sets in

By this logic Collingwood should’ve just “let it rip” when we got on top of them in the last.

We got nothing out of our talls from ruck to full forward. None of them could mark a ball to save themselves today. No relieving marks to gain field position

We also lost the clearances by 11 almost all of them at stoppages.
Centre clearances we lost only by 1.

So we conceded ground around the ground, and I’d like to see the quality of our centre clearances as after the first quarter we seemed to get first hands then lose the ball after a couple of sideways possessions.

We need to look for the open forward quicker. Jye got burnt by Sharp when open in a pocket. Tracy wasn’t hit up a few times

Yeah I’m not sure it’s that simple.

There’s two teams on the park. When we had midfield ascendency (first 15 of the first, part of the second, last ten of the last) you look a million bucks.

Collingwood clamped down on Young, started winning the ball, we now lose field position and were constantly under pressure.

You can’t always play that way. Lose field position, under pressure, uncertainty sets in

By this logic Collingwood should’ve just “let it rip” when we got on top of them in the last.

We got nothing out of our talls from ruck to full forward. None of them could mark a ball to save themselves today. No relieving marks to gain field position
I think there are dozens of details you could highlight and argue the point on. I think you make some good points but not all, for example, I'm not sure it gets us anywhere to tell our talls, 'Take more marks'.

I'm not saying it is simple. But I am saying that one of the more important aspects of our under-performance as a club, once we've allowed for our young age and the relative weakness of our forward line, is the coaching. And to me there is an identifiable pattern. I'm not the only one, allow me to quote from a fellow nuffie:

13th Man
13th Man
Roar Rookie
May 24th 2024 @ 11:24pm

My big question is why did it take until the last 5 minutes and the game almost completely gone, before Longmuir actually set the team up to play to win, rather than play not to lose?
This list can play attacking football, there are some very good players – I’m almost completely convinced they are over coached and don’t play on instinct enough.
As you say – the Banfield goal – completely on instinct. Normally they’d hold it up, wait for the players to flood forward and roost it to a crowded forward line.
Yep, there was a fortuitous free kick in there, but seriously, if Longmuir wants to have any chance of succeeding – release the shackles and let them play on instinct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there are dozens of details you could highlight and argue the point on. I think you make some good points but not all, for example, I'm not sure it gets us anywhere to tell our talls, 'Take more marks'.

I'm not saying it is simple. But I am saying that one of the more important aspects of our under-performance as a club, once we've allowed for our young age and the relative weakness of our forward line, is the coaching. And to me there is an identifiable pattern. I'm not the only one, allow me to quote from a fellow nuffie:

13th Man
13th Man
Roar Rookie
May 24th 2024 @ 11:24pm

My big question is why did it take until the last 5 minutes and the game almost completely gone, before Longmuir actually set the team up to play to win, rather than play not to lose?
This list can play attacking football, there are some very good players – I’m almost completely convinced they are over coached and don’t play on instinct enough.
As you say – the Banfield goal – completely on instinct. Normally they’d hold it up, wait for the players to flood forward and roost it to a crowded forward line.
Yep, there was a fortuitous free kick in there, but seriously, if Longmuir wants to have any chance of succeeding – release the shackles and let them play on instinct.

Heh? Who said tell them to take more marks. Yes it’s obvious they NEED to take more marks, but in this instance when they couldn’t we constantly conceded field position.
Which means it’s either a stoppage clearance where we were losing or a Collingwood take away.

“Just go fast is the same as “take more marks.” Can’t do it if you don’t win the ball. Change in personnel helped.

Genuine question…what does it mean when the ‘sailing ship’ sign is held up by the man on the bench?

I assume it signifies ‘go direct’ or ‘take risks to put speed on the ball’.

I think we have different modes or layers to the gameplan.

Heh? Who said tell them to take more marks. Yes it’s obvious they NEED to take more marks, but in this instance when they couldn’t we constantly conceded field position.
Which means it’s either a stoppage clearance where we were losing or a Collingwood take away.

“Just go fast is the same as “take more marks.” Can’t do it if you don’t win the ball. Change in personnel helped.
We played the reigning premiers, who havent been able to bring their best game for the whole of the year.
But they are very good. They should have won.
They were better than us for large parts of the game, not letting us play our game.
Their midfield beat ours in stoppages.
Our players did not give up, our coaches did not give up.
Lots of our fans gave up and went home, I gave up.
The coaches made decisions, the players played what they had trained and broke through, and nearly won!
I reckon...
We took it to the premiers and were not beaten.
We couldnt have have got that result earlier in the season.
We are on the rise.

Last edited:
I don’t think anybody who says we should just always play like we did in the last 10 minutes means that we should always have Pearce forward. But the intent to generate a score as fast as possible with ball in hand was markedly different. We should always play with that intent.
Brayshaw spoke post game and mentioned that they have that scoring mode to switch into, but it’s not sustainable because it’s so intense. Serong threw up multiple times in the last quarter because of it.

Obviously there is more to it than just simply moving the ball quicker

We played the reigning premiers, who havent been able to bring their best game for the whole of the year.
But they are very good. They should have won.
They were better than us for large parts of the game, not letting us play our game.
Their midfield beat ours in stoppages.
Our players did not give up, our coaches did not give up.
Lots of our fans gave up and went home, I gave up.
The coaches made decisions, the players played what they had trained and broke through, and nearly won!
I reckon...
We took it to the premiers and were not beaten.
We couldnt have have got that result earlier in the season.
We are on the rise.

They had plenty of injuries and had two debutantes. It was a team at their weakest

We have a really good list but there is something so vanilla about this team. We have not one player who can rip a game apart .I believe we have players that are capable of this but they are shackled to the system.There was a couple of players jogging around with no sense of urgency .Our forward line is still a mess .Over possession, dumb handballs and dumb decision making .That was a seriously depleted Collingwood and if not for bizarre umpiring we would have lost.Sure there a lot of positives but it's becoming tiring constantly looking for them .As long suffering supporters it seems that we are happy getting fed crumbs .I want the whole God damn cake just bloody once.

The reality is that we aren't consistently playing to our game plan. Even JLo on his presser that we went too safe.

Please look at how we started the game and say that the plan wasn't to take on the game and go through the middle.

Maybe it's personnel in some key areas or that we still have some youngsters we rely upon too much but I don't buy the Ross Lyon-lite lazy Vic reporter crap. We are trying to implement a game plan and its not clicking yet.

We don't have that ruthlessness in the forward 50 and that makes us look worse than we are at times.

Facts are that if Serong and Sharp kicks straight against Port and the Pies we'd be 8-4 and sitting second on the ladder this morning. Yeah, yeah I know. A good team takes those opportunities.

But so weird to come to this thread and see the sacking calls because to me it seems like we aren't that far off being a good team.

They had plenty of injuries and had two debutantes. It was a team at their weakest

A little bit overblown.

Yes, they have some injuries. But De Goey is the only one of real importance from a premiership winning side (I'm cancelling Howe and Cox out).

Their inexperienced players Harrison and Richards kicked 4 goals and were in their top handful of players with 100 SC points each, and Sullivan had 24 touches and 9th ranked player with 88 SC points. This is probably more than they could expect from WHE, Elliot and Mitchell.

One debutante wasn't even on the field while the Pies built their lead. When he was on, we flogged them. Dean and Draper is a wash, and you are down to one rookie Allan who was a passenger. While we have Emmett who is essentially the same.

The reality is that we aren't consistently playing to our game plan. Even JLo on his presser that we went too safe.

Please look at how we started the game and say that the plan wasn't to take on the game and go through the middle.

Maybe it's personnel in some key areas or that we still have some youngsters we rely upon too much but I don't buy the Ross Lyon-lite lazy Vic reporter crap. We are trying to implement a game plan and its not clicking yet.

We don't have that ruthlessness in the forward 50 and that makes us look worse than we are at times.

Facts are that if Serong and Sharp kicks straight against Port and the Pies we'd be 8-4 and sitting second on the ladder this morning. Yeah, yeah I know. A good team takes those opportunities.

But so weird to come to this thread and see the sacking calls because to me it seems like we aren't that far off being a good team.

"So weird" is exactly what I've been thinking reading some of the posts, all I can think is that some of us spent 40 minutes sharpening the axe and then the court gave us a hung jury.

We had a pretty decent list in 2022 and just missed top won and won a final we’ve lost a lot of players since then and haven’t replaced all of them besides getting sharp and jacko in. I genuinely feel like the team we have atm is over achieving massively and the reason we can’t go quick is because of how horrible our forward line is. Our bottom 8 players would be vfl standard over east and majority of them are in the fwd line so it makes it hard to go quick when we have 0 options fwd.
also have to say our youth from our 3 talks also plays a massive part in that jye just gets bodied needs 2 more preseason and about 7-10kg of muscle to put on

Treacy needs at least one more pre season to put on a couple of kg to take those big pack marks and maybe be able to kick a few bags

And Jackson just needs to learn how to play forward and learn how to mark

Our smalls are ****ing horrible and are never at the feet of any talls when the ball goes in to a contest

We need a better forward line to be able to move the ball quicker and also need to utilise young more in the midfield with his kick but I fully back JL because we definitely are over achieving with this list

We had a pretty decent list in 2022 and just missed top won and won a final we’ve lost a lot of players since then and haven’t replaced all of them besides getting sharp and jacko in. I genuinely feel like the team we have atm is over achieving massively and the reason we can’t go quick is because of how horrible our forward line is. Our bottom 8 players would be vfl standard over east and majority of them are in the fwd line so it makes it hard to go quick when we have 0 options fwd.
also have to say our youth from our 3 talks also plays a massive part in that jye just gets bodied needs 2 more preseason and about 7-10kg of muscle to put on

Treacy needs at least one more pre season to put on a couple of kg to take those big pack marks and maybe be able to kick a few bags

And Jackson just needs to learn how to play forward and learn how to mark

Our smalls are ******* horrible and are never at the feet of any talls when the ball goes in to a contest

We need a better forward line to be able to move the ball quicker and also need to utilise young more in the midfield with his kick but I fully back JL because we definitely are over achieving with this list
They absolutely sat on young all night, and we didn’t adjust to find a different option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back