Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me thinks it could all click at some point and we could be great. The other part says the gameplan is too hard to execute to a high level consistently.

Honestly have no idea which it is.

I do agree with Duz97 that we don't go fast to 1v1s because our forwards (other than maybe Treacy or Amiss on the lead) aren't likely to win many. Not only that, it would open us up to counter attacks. We can add that in when they mature/we get some better contested forwards.

Reckon we are going ok, pass so far.
Lucky to get 2 points last night, and Pies were weak with Mihochek & The Yank w***er out, plus 4 or 5 of their best 22.
We are still aways away, but at times we put Collingwood under extreme pressure, just couldn't sustain it.
And it would be good to get a KPF to take a contested mark FFS

Part of me thinks it could all click at some point and we could be great. The other part says the gameplan is too hard to execute to a high level consistently.

I do agree with Duz97 that we don't go fast to 1v1s because our forwards (other than maybe Treacy or Amiss on the lead) aren't likely to win many. Not only that, it would open us up to counter attacks. We can add that in when they mature/we get some better contested forwards.
Some of our passages last night were breath taking, for just one example, the end to end play that led to Brayshaw's goal.
We're playing some great football in patches.
What a game of momentum that was. We nearly lost the game because we couldn't get the momentum back in the third quarter. Reduce the length of the game where we're on the back foot and this team can go deep into the finals.
The other issue is there are to many passengers. Last night we carried three players who made zero, if not negative, contribution.

A little bit overblown.

Yes, they have some injuries. But De Goey is the only one of real importance from a premiership winning side (I'm cancelling Howe and Cox out).

Their inexperienced players Harrison and Richards kicked 4 goals and were in their top handful of players with 100 SC points each, and Sullivan had 24 touches and 9th ranked player with 88 SC points. This is probably more than they could expect from WHE, Elliot and Mitchell.

One debutante wasn't even on the field while the Pies built their lead. When he was on, we flogged them. Dean and Draper is a wash, and you are down to one rookie Allan who was a passenger. While we have Emmett who is essentially the same.
De Goey and Elliot play and we lose, simple as that.

For a team to move the ball quickly, they need to control the ball. That is have it in your hands. That's why we handball so much, we're (attempting) to control the ball to find a player in space who can then do a controlled kick to a team mate down field.
The hacked/quick uncontrolled kick out of congestion is an awful option. I'd say 60% of the time it comes straight back, 30% is a ball up and 10% results in us continuing to control the ball.
This is why a contested mark down the line is so valuable, if you can push that 10% up to 15 or 20% then that will usually directly result in a F50 entry. Having a peak form Carey, Jono Brown, Tex Walker in the side can literally be the difference in a game.
Clarke last week was a great example. His hacked kicks nearly all came straight back, but when he had space and just a smidge of time he mostly found a team mate.
Don't get me wrong, Jacksons handballs to Young were the wrong option, but the right idea. If Young didn't have someone on his hammer, you'd back him to find a team mate with a kick.
Collingwood surge forward with run when they have the chance, they control the momentum of the ball with little taps, handballs and kicks, but they rarely just boot the ball down the ground without being sure of where of who it's going to.
Our style of play works, we just have to be better at execution and at finishing off the work when we get it right. But that's no secret.
Sydney are the form team of the comp and we beat them in most stats bar the most important. Collingwood are the reigning premier, haven't lost for 2 months and beat us in most stats, yet we got something from the game (Praise be).
No team plays 120 mins of perfect football, but our inability to capitalise when we do have the momentum is the biggest concern. Not our general play. That's working.

The fundamental facts are we are in the fifth year of Justin Longmuir as coach with one finals appearance and win to show for it, 9 years after last making it to the preliminary finals. A draw against an undermanned Collingwood at home is not good enough, nor is our season to date. Fans should expect better. Longmuir's record is thus far no better than Chris Connolly, or for that matter, Mark Harvey.

Would love to see Carlton’s ball movement before Curnow and McKay became the players they are today when they were Josh and jyes age would be fairly similar I reckon

They had plenty of injuries and had two debutantes. It was a team at their weakest

Really? Most of their premiership team was all still on the park. We were less experienced than them and younger. Our supporters are sounding just as bad as port supporters to be honest. We are 100% moving in the right direction.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why is Walters still getting a game? He’s one of all our favourites ever, but right now he’s so far off the pace it’s shocking. The end has come quickly and brutally for him and he cannot continue to play at this level. It’s not an over reaction. It’s 6 or 7 weeks of being a complete passenger as a 33 year old.
I cannot believe how slow and fumbly he looks out there. Anyone, literally anyone would be more effective right now. Don’t want to hear that there no one else at peel.

There was a moment late in the game where he had a one on one near the touch line where the old Walters would have swept up the ball in a single touch with Velcro hands and kicked inside 50 to a leading target, but instead he was running in slow motion, fumbled 3 times and a boundary throw in ensued.
Father Time is undefeated and he’s definitely caught up with Sonny, and I don’t want his legacy tarnished while continuing to play like this.
A mate who’s a Carlton fan and doesn’t watch us too often messaged and said WTF are you guys doing with Walters out there still, he’s like a player that should be playing in an EJ Whitten legends match, and I couldn’t really argue with that.

If any of the JL fans want to respond here and defend his decision to keep selecting him - I’m all ears. Go right ahead.

why is Walters still getting a game? He’s one of all our favourites ever, but right now he’s so far off the pace it’s shocking. The end has come quickly and brutally for him and he cannot continue to play at this level. It’s not an over reaction. It’s 6 or 7 weeks of being a complete passenger as a 33 year old.
I cannot believe how slow and fumbly he looks out there. Anyone, literally anyone would be more effective right now. Don’t want to hear that there no one else at peel.

There was a moment late in the game where he had a one on one near the touch line where the old Walters would have swept up the ball in a single touch with Velcro hands and kicked inside 50 to a leading target, but instead he was running in slow motion, fumbled 3 times and a boundary throw in ensued.
Father Time is undefeated and he’s definitely caught up with Sonny, and I don’t want his legacy tarnished while continuing to play like this.
A mate who’s a Carlton fan and doesn’t watch us too often messaged and said WTF are you guys doing with Walters out there still, he’s like a player that should be playing in an EJ Whitten legends match, and I couldn’t really argue with that.

If any of the JL fans want to respond here and defend his decision to keep selecting him - I’m all ears. Go right ahead.
I think there are a lot of ridiculous posts in here at the moment but one thing I'll agree on is the continued selection of Walters and Emmett is ridiculous and if Peel play well and win again today he still picks those two then it's comical

Would love to see Carlton’s ball movement before Curnow and McKay became the players they are today when they were Josh and jyes age would be fairly similar I reckon
Well they were **** everywhere but I think you're right.

Even now, apart from the first 4 weeks of this year, their ball movement is rubbish. It's why I don't rate Voss above average. That team should be up to their eyeballs in top 4 and they're barely, it at all, better than us.

Well they were **** everywhere but I think you're right.

Even now, apart from the first 4 weeks of this year, their ball movement is rubbish. It's why I don't rate Voss above average. That team should be up to their eyeballs in top 4 and they're barely, it at all, better than us.
Yah, just imagine how this team would look if you simply got to turn Treacy and Amiss into 25 year olds with 100+ games under their belt...

Yah, just imagine how this team would look if you simply got to turn Treacy and Amiss into 25 year olds with 100+ games under their belt...
Honestly that’s all we need is patience aim for top 8 this year if we don’t get it so be it top 8 a must next year and top 4 2026 and have a premiership window 2026-30

Surely no one is saying with a straight face that Collingwood weren't severely weakened last night, both pre game outs and in game injuries? I'm reading today that pendles had to stay on field with a munted bicep which I did not realise at the game happened.

Fact is we still haven't beaten a side inside the eight this year and last night we had everything going for us and still didn't. Finals? What about one win against a top 8 team first?

Scintillating passages of play? North have scintillating passages of play every week. It's funny how different people view the intermittent scintillating passages of play from a coach that's been here five years. Some of you call it acceptable progress. I call it a cocktease that gets me thinking about what a different coach could do with this team.

Surely no one is saying with a straight face that Collingwood weren't severely weakened last night, both pre game outs and in game injuries? I'm reading today that pendles had to stay on field with a munted bicep which I did not realise at the game happened.

Fact is we still haven't beaten a side inside the eight this year and last night we had everything going for us and still didn't. Finals? What about one win against a top 8 team first?

Scintillating passages of play? North have scintillating passages of play every week. It's funny how different people view the intermittent scintillating passages of play from a coach that's been here five years. Some of you call it acceptable progress. I call it a cocktease that gets me thinking about what a different coach could do with this team.

Have you listened to Caleb and Andy with the Purple Reign boys in the rooms after the game?

Caleb's insights particularly went a long way toward making me feel like the team is in fine hands for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back