KG to commentate for Channel 9

Remove this Banner Ad

For those interested,

K.G. is currently in Hospital recovering from a cancer operation. He had his entire bottom lip removed. This was a legacy of his many years as a sheffield shield cricketer. K.G. also represented Australia.

K.G. was also recognised as one of S.A.'s better football umpires in the 1960's.

He had and to a large degree still has a speech impediment. Stammering or stuttering.

K.G. still suffers from this however he has managed to contain it and overcome some major obstacles in becoming a radio personality. He co hosts a sports show on radio in Adelaide, the fore runner of similar sports shows through out Australia,
it is the Highest rating program of its type in Australia.

He also reads the weekend sports news on channel 9.

K.G. has also received an O.B.E.

PA1870

kgs sports show is great, you live in crappy victoria so you wouldnt have ever listened to it you jerkoff

------------------
Essendon - The greatest club with the greatest coach in the league ! Carlton- absolute hypocrites who accuse others of being cheats only for it to be found later that carlton are the "serial salary cap breachers" as quoted by our president, haha

Well, JubJub, with a name like yours, and coming from where you do, it would seem you have little credibility. If you can't acknowledge a bloke who's put in so much to achieve so much you are a very little person.

"... put in so much to achieve so much ... "!!!???

Ah, spare me the cheap melodramatics, Crow54. And you leave my good mate, JubJub, alone or I'll jump through the computer screen and rip your friggin throat out.

For once in my life, Jubster old pal, I have to agree with you. What's the world coming to?

Ken "K.G." Cunningham did naff-all to get where he is. He began his media career in controversial circumstances when he had to quit umpiring because he kept making unauthorised statements to the media.

He was in the right place at the right time. He got a break.
He got lucky.

And the only reason he gets such good ratings is that his innane dribblings have struck a chord with the small-minded, paranoid, parochial, small-town, colonial, back-water mentality of Australia's most insecurely self-conscious state.

And I know what I'm talking about. I lived in that s**t-hole for most of my life.

People like KG, Cornsey and others of their ilk ... with their xenophobic, pathological hatred of all things Victorian ... are the reason I left S.A. four years ago to move to the real world.

And by the way, I'm pleased to hear that good old KG has had that lip operation ... I'm sure it will improve his looks. But I bet it won't do much to improve the quality of what comes out of his mouth.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Forget KG. If the Nine/Ten bid gets up, there is some good talent on TV and radio here that can call football. Mark Aiston and Rob Popplestone are very good on radio over here, and present themselves well on Ten News.

If the consortium gets up, Squash champ and Port man Chris Dittmar on Seven is someone who I would love to see jump ship and calling footy on TV. Mark Bickley is a Channel 9 man and is certain to join the media at some point.

I just hope they stay right away from fools like Wildy and Rucci!

cheers

Jerome

Thanks ALF
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Absatively Posilutely"

Alf, you big tough piece of trash ! You make fun of kg and say he did nothing to get where he has , take a look at yourself you poxy old man, SA is a better place to be than victoria anyday , at least we have brains over here unlike you with your ugly,uneducated opinions........and your a magpie fan too ! which is even worse, black and white pricks they are, so get a life and if you could compare what you have done in your life to what kg has done for his and our great state then its a no contest as kgs achievments would crap all over yours, as kg says - this is the best place in the world to live, best state in the best country !

------------------
Essendon - The greatest club with the greatest coach in the league ! Carlton- absolute hypocrites who accuse others of being cheats only for it to be found later that carlton are the "serial salary cap breachers" as quoted by our president, haha

You Bewdy!!!! Go KG!! It will take me back to my youth to hear the "leapth like a startled gazelle" and "stwike me pink!!"
He's a dear old soul and I for one will be happy to see him call games.

Originally posted by eastaugh36:
Alf, you big tough piece of trash ! You make fun of kg and say he did nothing to get where he has , take a look at yourself you poxy old man, SA is a better place to be than victoria anyday , at least we have brains over here unlike you with your ugly,uneducated opinions........and your a magpie fan too ! which is even worse, black and white pricks they are, so get a life and if you could compare what you have done in your life to what kg has done for his and our great state then its a no contest as kgs achievments would crap all over yours, as kg says - this is the best place in the world to live, best state in the best country !

Mystery solved !!!!!!!!!
Eastaugh36IQ is a South Australian!!!!!!!
No wonder he talks such a load of s**t.
This thread has explained a lot of things.

AlfAndrews,
I could not agree with you more. I left South Australia as soon as I was old enough, and I have never looked back. I really pity those pathetic creatures living in Adelaide and thinking they are in the best place in Australia. It is the most inward looking, self-interested place on the planet and about the most irrelevant too. Nothing and nobody stays there for long, Grand Prix included. It really is the place you fly over when you are on your way to somewhere that matters.

------------------
Trample the Weak,
Hurdle the Dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by AlfAndrews:
"... put in so much to achieve so much ... "!!!???

Ah, spare me the cheap melodramatics, Crow54. And you leave my good mate, JubJub, alone or I'll jump through the computer screen and rip your friggin throat out.

For once in my life, Jubster old pal, I have to agree with you. What's the world coming to?

Ken "K.G." Cunningham did naff-all to get where he is. He began his media career in controversial circumstances when he had to quit umpiring because he kept making unauthorised statements to the media.

He was in the right place at the right time. He got a break.
He got lucky.

And the only reason he gets such good ratings is that his innane dribblings have struck a chord with the small-minded, paranoid, parochial, small-town, colonial, back-water mentality of Australia's most insecurely self-conscious state.

And I know what I'm talking about. I lived in that s**t-hole for most of my life.

People like KG, Cornsey and others of their ilk ... with their xenophobic, pathological hatred of all things Victorian ... are the reason I left S.A. four years ago to move to the real world.

And by the way, I'm pleased to hear that good old KG has had that lip operation ... I'm sure it will improve his looks. But I bet it won't do much to improve the quality of what comes out of his mouth.

Hey everyone,

Even though some of you have taken Alf's bait and started abusing him........
And even though I have justified K.G.'s position previously and defended his
integrity.

Alf is 100% correct in pointing out how K.G. got into the media.... There was no-one else at the time, he spat the dummy as an umpire BIG TIME, K.G. has admitted that personally a number of times. He has also said it is something he wasnt proud of.

K.G.'s break came as a sheer "fluke " , he has said it numerous times.

Given this info...many famous people have hit the heights in this manner..

We all know someone we went to school with that was an absolute DORK that had no where near the perstistance, ability, or talent as us and who are now in positions of great responsibility etc..thru' ' Just being in the right place at the right time '

After all is said and done...K.G. would never been in that position had he not had a dedicated sporting life.

K.G. has people skills that have allowed him to remain in the media much longer than more talented, more educated, more professional, more articulate, more intelligent compatriots, he has seen all these people come and go from around him...

PA1870

Another KG story that might jog your memory, PA 1870 ...

As has been mentioned, K.G.Cunningham was a pretty handy cricketer. He played for S.A. as an all-rounder in the 1960s and into the 70s. And his teammates included the late Les Favell, the West Indian champion all-rounder, Gary Sobers, a youthful Ian Chappell, and test players like Neil Hawke, Rowdy Mallett, Terry Jenner etc.

Another teammate of K.G. was Eric Freeman ... who not only represented Australia at cricket, but was Port Adelaide's star full-forward during the era when K.G. was umpiring.

One day in the last minor round game of the season, "Fritz" Freeman took exception to one of K.G.'s decisions and called him some rather choice names. Rumours vary as to what the exact expression was ... but it was reported in the media that Freeman had called Cunningham a "bloody peanut".

Shock. Horror.

Anyway, K.G. was not impressed ... and reported Freeman for abusive language.

He copped a two week suspension. If my memory serves me correctly it would have been 1967. Port won the 1st Semi Final and Preliminary Finals ... and Fritz returned from suspension in time for the Grand Final, which Port lost to Sturt.

Anyway ... I'm sure PA 1870 will correct me if I'm wrong in any of those details.

I think Freeman got it right.

K.G. is a bloody peanut ...

But I s'pose I have to give the bloody peanut some credit. He was a pretty good cricketer ... and was probably the best umpire of his era, even if he did cause his shield cricket team-mate to get rubbed out during the footy finals.

------------------
**floreat pica**

And his teammates included the late Les Favell, the West Indian champion all-rounder, Gary Sobers, a youthful Ian Chappell, and test players like Neil Hawke, Rowdy Mallett, Terry Jenner etc.

Sorry to quote myself here, people. But this is really spooky.

I mentioned Neil Hawke in that post. And then, just a while ago on the news, I heard that Neil Hawke is dead.

Neil Hawke was a bit of a local hero where I lived as a kid. He played footy for Port and Torrens.

Like Freeman, he was a full-forward. And also like Freeman, he was a pace bowler who represented Australia.

Very spooky ... and also very sad. I liked Neil Hawke. He was one of those old fashioned sporting heroes ... very approachable and a true gentleman.

I think he deserves a separate thread, so I think I'll start one.

------------------
**floreat pica**

Another KG story that might jog your memory, PA 1870 ...

As has been mentioned, K.G.Cunningham was a pretty handy cricketer. He played for S.A. as an all-rounder in the 1960s and into the 70s. And his teammates included the late Les Favell, the West Indian champion all-rounder, Gary Sobers, a youthful Ian Chappell, and test players like Neil Hawke, Rowdy Mallett, Terry Jenner etc.

Another teammate of K.G. was Eric Freeman ... who not only represented Australia at cricket, but was Port Adelaide's star full-forward during the era when K.G. was umpiring.

One day in the last minor round game of the season, "Fritz" Freeman took exception to one of K.G.'s decisions and called him some rather choice names. Rumours vary as to what the exact expression was ... but it was reported in the media that Freeman had called Cunningham a "bloody peanut".

Shock. Horror.

Anyway, K.G. was not impressed ... and reported Freeman for abusive language.

He copped a two week suspension. If my memory serves me correctly it would have been 1967. Port won the 1st Semi Final and Preliminary Finals ... and Fritz returned from suspension in time for the Grand Final, which Port lost to Sturt.

Anyway ... I'm sure PA 1870 will correct me if I'm wrong in any of those details.

I think Freeman got it right.

K.G. is a bloody peanut ...

But I s'pose I have to give the bloody peanut some credit. He was a pretty good cricketer ... and was probably the best umpire of his era, even if he did cause his shield cricket team-mate to get rubbed out during the footy finals.

Yes, "Bloody Peanut" is what Fritzy reportedly said !

By the way Alf, Fritzy is doing well these days, He's still with the ABC radio team in Adelaide he does a fair bit of travelling too and is about to lead a tour group somewhere overseas shortly.

PA1870

Remove this Banner Ad

Back