Laidley on Footy Classified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Played the straight bat the whole interview. Though I do wish the world would realise that the prefix on the word "pro-active" is kind of redundant. You can be either active or reactive. What the hell is pro-active?

Pro-active is deciding, during the pre-planning stage, how active you will be in your planning.

Simply put, it gives you the chance to go to the pub while billing your client for the hours.

Played the straight bat the whole interview. Though I do wish the world would realise that the prefix on the word "pro-active" is kind of redundant. You can be either active or reactive. What the hell is pro-active?

Great to see you taking a pro-active approach to this issue Pharro ;)

Isn't that when you go searching for a lady of the night?

No, but would like a coach that can string a couple of sentences together.

I'll concede it can be frustrating as a supporter, but as we now have a kick arse CEO and savior president who was born to talk to the press, I don't look to Laidley as a spokesperson for the footy club. I want him to coach us to 15 flags in a row. His job is football, and he should be judgded on this alone now. And I think he deserved credit for being the face of the footy club as a relatively new coach in very hard times simply because our executives and presidents were so ____ing woeful at their jobs. No wonder he is a grumpy bastard.

Now, he gets the chance to live and die by the teams output.

impact on you and impact you are both correct. If anything the former is American rather than Australian English

Similar to "write me" (puke) and "write to me"

I rest my case! ;)

(And... my sense is the former has evolved...)

Those sideburns look hideous.

SHAVE OFF THOSE SIDEBURNS HIPPIE!!!!

432920489_e89fa08c54_o.jpg

I'll concede it can be frustrating as a supporter, but as we now have a kick arse CEO and savior president who was born to talk to the press, I don't look to Laidley as a spokesperson for the footy club. I want him to coach us to 15 flags in a row. His job is football, and he should be judgded on this alone now. And I think he deserved credit for being the face of the footy club as a relatively new coach in very hard times simply because our executives and presidents were so ____ing woeful at their jobs. No wonder he is a grumpy bastard.

Now, he gets the chance to live and die by the teams output.

Agree. I'd rather pull my own teeth out than sit and listen to Bomber Thompson drone on for more than a minute but the man is a premiership coach.

So it's not neccessarily true that eloquence = good coach.

So it's not neccessarily true that eloquence = good coach.

I'd submit that the opposite is almost true.

And then you have those types who are quite eloquent but can't summon the energy to give a stuff and treat journos like the leaches that some of them are.

On a related issue... How OLd is he looking these days... he looks like he has put on 15 years during the pre-season

Try coaching a professional sports team. If anything will age you...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a related issue... How OLd is he looking these days... he looks like he has put on 15 years during the pre-season

AFL coaching has a habit of making coaches go grey.

Just don't let it impact you. :mad: (Have an impact on you.)

(As a society we've lost the ability to distinguish between affect and effect, so impact now acts as verb and noun.)
Thought impact(ed) was when your bowels were blocked :eek:

impact on you and impact you are both correct. If anything the former is American rather than Australian English

Similar to "write me" (puke) and "write to me"

I suspect some people would struggle to distinguish there formers from they're latters. So their!

Pro-active is that s**t that they sell on guthy renker. Its good for your skin apparently. Jessica Simpson, P Diddy, Vanessa Williams all recommend it.

You can also do nothing.

"Pro-active" is a shift in perception from doing nothing to making new and positive changes.

I think most frustration from supporters, in relation to Dean, has been due to his inflexibility in game plan and team selection.

Ok so say we are winning by 5 goals and thats because of the game plan that was worked on during the week. Then our opposition gets a run on and closes the gap to two goals.

If Dean makes a change to stop the oppositions run on and to get the momentum back is that being pro-active or re-active?

Ok so say we are winning by 5 goals and thats because of the game plan that was worked on during the week. Then our opposition gets a run on and closes the gap to two goals.

If Dean makes a change to stop the oppositions run on and to get the momentum back is that being pro-active or re-active?
No, it's a bloody miracle.

So if Dean doesnt change what was a winning formula throughout the match he is inflexible but if he makes a change then he is re-active?

Does that pretty much sum it up?

No I believe the expectation on Dean is that he should be able to predict a run on from the opposition, therefore as soon as we get on top in a game, we should pro-actively remove all our dominant players and replace them with some pro-active negating players and a pro-actively alternate game plan. But under no circumstances should we ever re-act and we should never maintain a winning game plan.

No I believe the expectation on Dean is that he should be able to predict a run on from the opposition, therefore as soon as we get on top in a game, we should pro-actively remove all our dominant players and replace them with some pro-active negating players and a pro-actively alternate game plan. But under no circumstances should we ever re-act and we should never maintain a winning game plan.
I just go nuts when I see North get on top in a game, then for some bizarre reason stop trying to attack, and instead try to play 'tempo football'................thereby handing over momentum, confidence and scoring opportunities to the opposition. I'd be delighted if Dean would promise never again to put this 'plan' into action, whether proactively or otherwise.

I just go nuts when I see North get on top in a game, then for some bizarre reason stop trying to attack, and instead try to play 'tempo football'................thereby handing over momentum, confidence and scoring opportunities to the opposition. I'd be delighted if Dean would promise never again to put this 'plan' into action, whether proactively or otherwise.

I wonder if it's possible to pro-actively refrain.

I don't have a problem with tempo footy, I just think it needs to be used when the other team gets a run on - not in anticipation of the run on.

We need to be reactive with our tempo footy- not pro-active.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back