Let's talk Ports! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
James was quality, but Carr was bang on from the word go. I really think had we of retained him post 04 we would of won multiple premierships.

... Unless he wins a brownlow or the team snares a premiership, to me, he isnt even in our top 5 let alone the best we have had. ....
WTF.gif

The Brownlow is voted on by the umpires so is pretty much meaningless in terms of how good a player actually is. Remember that time that all the experts were saying Tredders had the Charlie in the bag only for him to barely poll a vote?

As for the team winning a GF, how does that relate to the consistent performance over many seasons of an individual player? o_O

You replace Josh Mahoney with Robbie Gray and we probably snare a 2nd flag in that time

:$

Mahoney only came onto our list in '04, the premiership year.

We bumbled and stumbled through 2005 but were a mile off the pace. 2006 yuck, less said the better.

WTF.gif

The Brownlow is voted on by the umpires so is pretty much meaningless in terms of how good a player actually is. Remember that time that all the experts were saying Tredders had the Charlie in the bag only for him to barely poll a vote?

As for the team winning a GF, how does that relate to the consistent performance over many seasons of an individual player? o_O

Brent Renouf > Paddy Ryder

Hey Brent won a flag!

Thinking of how a Robbie Gray vs Shaun Burgoyne thread on the main board would pan out makes me chuckle.

Aussie Rules has got to be the only sport in the world where you can literally achieve nothing on an individual basis and have a groupthink levitate you above genuine standalone greats.

Thinking of how a Robbie Gray vs Shaun Burgoyne thread on the main board would pan out makes me chuckle.

Aussie Rules has got to be the only sport in the world where you can literally achieve nothing on an individual basis and have a groupthink levitate you above genuine standalone greats.

Had a WCE supporter place LeCras on par with Robbie yesterday. Ummmmm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would put Robbie Gray slightly below Tredrea, followed by Wanganeen. I think many won't appreciate Gray until he's gone. Absolute legend of the game and robbed blind in 2014 of the Brownlow.

I would put Robbie Gray slightly below Tredrea, followed by Wanganeen. I think many won't appreciate Gray until he's gone. Absolute legend of the game and robbed blind in 2014 of the Brownlow.

Yeah, this trio are the transcendent ones.

There's a raft of ifs and buts, such as Lade's broken legs, Primus/Wilson/Francou's ACL's, or Chad Cornes mangling his hand when he was level with Goodes as the most destructively versatile player in the competition, but those are the three who were the best of the best over a considerable period.

Robbie Gray - 1 x AFLCA MVP, 4 x All-Australian, 3 x Best & Fairest, 4 x Showdown Medal. And while team success is the obvious thing missing from his CV, with the way he was performing in the 2014 Finals Series, he would've been on the first line of betting for the Norm Smith had we got in.

Here's to a miracle before he's done.

I actually rated Scott Lucas. One of the last old school hogs. Always had a shot for goal instead of doing the "team" thing. As a forward that's what you are paid to do and I admired that.

I liked him too.

The one I miss the most is Gehrig though, what a ******* entertainer.

Yeah, this trio are the transcendent ones.

There's a raft of ifs and buts, such as Lade's broken legs, Primus/Wilson/Francou's ACL's, or Chad Cornes mangling his hand when he was level with Goodes as the most destructively versatile player in the competition, but those are the three who were the best of the best over a considerable period.

Robbie Gray - 1 x AFLCA MVP, 4 x All-Australian, 3 x Best & Fairest, 4 x Showdown Medal. And while team success is the obvious thing missing from his CV, with the way he was performing in the 2014 Finals Series, he would've been on the first line of betting for the Norm Smith had we got in.

Here's to a miracle before he's done.
And all that whilst having a shocking ACL, playing in one of the worst Ports teams ever and having cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back