Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Its more that you have to pay overs for someone in contract, so people comparing his trade to someone in contract doesn't make sense as its generally overs for a contracted player.

It's all relative
It won't happen in this instance, nor should it. fair trade will happen regardless, Richmond is below the Eagles & Freo they don't have a pre-season threat.

I agree with this

The only one factor is Bakers age. 26 going on 27. He might have 4 quality years left. There is no way you hand over an early first for him as you could get a player for the next 12 years at your club.

He is definitely a positional need for Freo and a late first should do it with a junk pick heading back. He will also take up a fair bit of cap space.
I don’t know how you can see Freo trading the last 8 years and think contract status doesn’t make a difference. We absolutely extort anyone getting a contracted player off us while take whatever we can on uncontracted players

I don’t know how you can see Freo trading the last 8 years and think contract status doesn’t make a difference. We absolutely extort anyone getting a contracted player off us while take whatever we can on uncontracted players

What's he worth as a trade

If Baker goes home, reckon the tigers will be chasing Fred’s second first round pick in 2024 - estimating Baker’s value around pick 12 and allowing for a couple of academy/father sons. With 3 round one picks to negotiate with it should get done fairly easily.

Exactly. Just look at trades like Lobb, Mitch Mcgovern, Treloar, Corr, Hewett, Tom Mitchell, O'Meara, Logue, Dawson to name a few of the players traded where the circumstances to which they goT traded (eg contract status) effected their value in ways other than the pay packets they received. There is also examples like Jack Martin where a very significant pay offer was made but the team wanting him offered far less value than most thought was fair. Plus if anyone sees contract value as a means of identifying a players worth it should be taken into account a contract around 800k will make up a percentage of the salary cap similar to around 600K only a year or two ago. Eg Lobbs contract of 600K for 4 years (signed in 2023) would be the equivalent in salary space of slightly under 800K for a contract signed at the end of 2024 in terms of percentage of salary cap space.. Baker is currently not but it wouldn't surprise if he did stay at Richmond.

One of the issues for Richmond if they do end up trading Baker is that his age greatly effects what teams interested would be prepared to part with. Baker will be 27 at the start of next season and clubs can recruit quality players at his age via free agency without having to pay any compensation so why would any team give up a top 12 pick for a 27 year old in this instance as that would be massively over trades offered in recent times for players who aren't superstars that are over 25 even.

Go for it. Good luck getting an offer of any more than their second rounder for Baker then. The WCE board have publicly committed to an extended rebuild. It would be a case of the only way Baker ended up at WCE was if they could get him on the cheap and they want another veteran to help guide their youngsters. For a trade WC would accept to happen there would have to be the threat of Baker leaving vi the PSD.
I'm talking about which is the better club to go.to
West Coast Eagles every day of the week 🙌

Thats not how it works mate, you always have less leverage if theyre out of contract. Its not about what the players worth, its that the original club risks getting nothing so cant be so hard at the trade table
You keep posting like " You know how it works" and accuse others of not knowing but seeing as you do know
can you answer me why then did North give up #19 + Tarrant + upgrade a 4th rounder for an out of contract
Callum Coleman jones whilst they had #1 in the PSD ?

Really interested in your reasoning

You keep posting like " You know how it works" and accuse others of not knowing but seeing as you do know
can you answer me why then did North give up #19 + Tarrant + upgrade a 4th rounder for an out of contract

You realise you are asking me to justify the decisions of the North Melbourne list managers? I doubt even they could. Clearly they made the wrong call for some reason, id seriously question and probably fire the guy who made the call to do that trade when the player was available for free.

Its not rocket science or complicated in any way at all, i dont know why you dont understand it.
Player out of contract = very little leverage for the club, can get away with paying unders depending on other factors.
Player in contract = club has leverage and you have to pay more.

Because North is an incompetent club, can you explain to me why Dawson who has significantly more value than current Baker went for pick 18.

You realise you are asking me to justify the decisions of the North Melbourne list managers? I doubt even they could. Clearly they made the wrong call for some reason, id seriously question and probably fire the guy who made the call to do that trade when the player was available for free.

Its not rocket science or complicated in any way at all, i dont know why you dont understand it.
Player out of contract = very little leverage for the club, can get away with paying unders depending on other factors.
Player in contract = club has leverage and you have to pay more.
But you are the person that replies to just about every post that says it wont happen and Richmond will get a decent pick with " Thats not how it works"
I have given you a perfect example that clubs trade in good faith with players they rate and chased to get to their clubs

So you are the person that claims to " know how it works" and explain why that is not the case with the CCj trade ?
Or even the taranto trade

Afl gives wce 1 priority pick end of round 1 this year
And 1 priority pick end of round 1 next year
Both traded to Richmond
Liam Baker to West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because North is an incompetent club, can you explain to me why Dawson who has significantly more value than current Baker went for pick 18.
Dawson back at the trade was not the dawson he is today
And from what i was reading at the time there was some old baggage dating back to the tippet days that existed

But you are the person that replies to just about every post that says it wont happen and Richmond will get a decent pick with " Thats not how it works"
I have given you a perfect example that clubs trade in good faith with players they rate and chased to get to their clubs

So you are the person that claims to " know how it works" and explain why that is not the case with the CCj trade ?
Or even the taranto trade
I dont care what North did, they have shown to be incompetent list managers over a long period of time.

Right here, someone commented the example you are after

I dont care what North did, they have shown to be incompetent list managers over a long period of time.

Right here, someone commented the example you are after
LOl

So you dont know how it works !!

But look im happy to offer you a wager , If Baker does select to go to the eagles i will bet we get a pick/s that are valued better than pick #20

What you say " Mr Know how it works"

I’ll take that bet, you’ll get eagles second rounder.
Cool name the bet and we can foward it to a trusted mod now ( Snuffaluphagus) if he doesnt mind
and he can pass onto the winner if it eventuates

Pick value 1-19 i win
20+ you win

If its the eagles 2nd rounder you win the bet but if its the 2nd rounder plus more i win

LOl

So you dont know how it works !!
??? What are you even talking about
But look im happy to offer you a wager , If Baker does select to go to the eagles i will bet we get a pick/s that are valued better than pick #20

What you say " Mr Know how it works"
I dont care what he ends up going for, I dont know how dumb the new West Coast list manager is, or how nice he wants to be with his old club. All I know is we absolutely can get Baker for our 2nd rounder if Baker wants to come to West Coast, and nobody outside the Tigers fans in this thread would think it was a overly unbalanced trade, considering he was out of contract

If Baker goes home, reckon the tigers will be chasing Fred’s second first round pick in 2024 - estimating Baker’s value around pick 12 and allowing for a couple of academy/father sons. With 3 round one picks to negotiate with it should get done fairly easily.
Think Give Up GIF by Boomerang Official

Dawson was not doing this at the Swans what he did at Adelaide last season...
Also he has started this season below expectation if you judge him off last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back