Speculation Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for some house cleaning.

1) Do not drag discussions or individual posts over here from other threads or boards.

Feel free to respond to those posts wherever they were posted, if you so choose.

2) Enough with the personal attacks. It’s a long season and this one may go the distance, so if you want to remain a part of the discussion, do it respectfully.

We will use thread bans and infractions if necessary.

You could just as easily look at it the other way. Judd was going high in the draft whether West Coast picked him or not, and was a generational talent whether West Coast picked him or not. In the grand scheme of things, the 1 thing West Coast brought him that he couldn't have got at other teams is the fast track to success, coz realistically he pretty much completed football in 6 years.

Liam Baker on the other hand? If Richmond don't give him the shot, how long would he have still been playing state league? Is there a world where it never happens for him or it happens too late? Baker owes more to Richmond in that sense than Judd owes to West Coast, coz Baker's future without Richmond is way more uncertain than Judd's without West Coast.

It's all moot regardless. The moment a player says that they want to be traded is the moment they go from being a human to being an asset. Every player understands this. The notion that Richmond are somehow in the wrong for doing what's best for Richmond or that Richmond players will be salty because Richmond are doing what's best for Richmond is nonsense.
An employee never 'owes' anything to an employer, if they've simply fulfilled their part of the contract.

It's not 1950 anymore, people are expected to do what's right for themselves.

And yet several Richmond people have already said that if Dusty wanted to move to the Suns they would understand and have no issues. Dusty has given so much joy to the club they are forever grateful and would understand.

Pretty much totally refutes what you are saying above doesnt it?
No and another deflection

Dusty is a free agent and 33 year old that has just about single handily delivered flags
Goes with our blessing

Free agent ........ Remember

I think Willie Rioli owed WC after all that was done for him.
Not to mention Henry owed Fremantle Pick #9 traded for a future 2nd round pick

""We made a significant investment in Liam, not just through our Next Generation Academy, matching Carlton's bid under NGA concession rules in the 2019 draft"

No and another deflection

Dusty is a free agent and 33 year old that has just about single handily delivered flags
Goes with our blessing

Free agent ........ Remember

Now thats a deflection right there.

So when its out of the clubs control its all warm and fuzzy is it?

Both players have done the right thing by the club. The club has had a wonderful three peat of flags due the the dedicarion and sacrifices made, different for each player though as Dusty got paid mega bucks and fair enough.

But one player you accept owes nothing and can do as he pleases and you are fine. However the other player owes the club? And because of that the club should be aggressive at the trade table.

North were in their right to be aggressive with JHF as he cost them pick 1 and he bailed after 12 months. The player gave no effort for the club. Baker did his part big time and helped land three flags for his club and took unders to help land Lynch and keep Dusty. Baker has earned the opportunity to finish his career where he wants to. And if that means the club only gets 80 cents in the dollar at the trade table that should be perfectly acceptable aa a thanks for your efforts and sacrifices made.

Its a real shame you dont understand that. A real shame.

Probably what Pies supporter are saying about Shultz

But thats still what your club will be coughing up. If Baker even accepts your clubs offer
Im kinda hoping he doesn't. 27 year old Role player. Yeah and Collingwood supporters would be hating it right now. Probably been mentioned a few times but Schultz was contracted and had come off 2 seasons of 30 goals and 33 goals.

Im kinda hoping he doesn't. 27 year old Role player. Yeah and Collingwood supporters would be hating it right now. Probably been mentioned a few times but Schultz was contracted and had come off 2 seasons of 30 goals and 33 goals.
23 possessions at 70% DE
10 contested
4 intercepts
535 mtrs gained playing mid/def

Yeah he is sh!t

He had more touches than 17 out of 23 players that played for freo this round
Im not sure what you are expecting but your not getting Harley Reid for pick 15 and certainly not a Johnson/Erasmus
Look he aint a bad player. He is a solid role player and by that you know what you get week in week out. If pick 15 is the cost I'm deadset hoping he stays or goes to West Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you want Chad for pick #15 lol
Not at all. Id give all 3 Firsts that we have for Chad. That being said I don't think we are at the stage in the rebuild where we can afford to do that.

Lets not compare Baker to Chad here haha!!

Not at all. Id give all 3 Firsts that we have for Chad. That being said I don't think we are at the stage in the rebuild where we can afford to do that.

Lets not compare Baker to Chad here haha!!
Your clubs 3 x 1st rounder wont get pick 1 /2 in 90% of trades

Chad today would cost top 5 ++
not to mention the $1.5 mil a year x 7 years

I'd love him as a FA.

I just think we're better off getting a Busslinger or another kid rather than paying what he's probably worth.
Would prefer to see him go to Freo TBH.
And that is a very fair opinion specially with where the eagles are placed and thats what the list management team should be thinking

Freo can have him. Dont see the point in him. After watching him play this year id be happy to trade a 3rd rounder or a fringe player, something along those lines. Get him for free in a years time if hes that keen on coming home and a trade cant be done

Freo can have him. Dont see the point in him. After watching him play this year id be happy to trade a 3rd rounder or a fringe player, something along those lines. Get him for free in a years time if hes that keen on coming home and a trade cant be done
He'd be a complete mug if he agreed to that, it'd never happen. Leaving a year older so the offers won't be as lucrative, plus he'd be leaving a whole lot to chance. What if he gets a bad injury in that year and the interest and offers wane further? Or worse yet in something more topical, a career-ending concussion. Gotta strike while the iron's hot and the teams are willing to offer big money for him.

A top 10 pick is laughable. Neither WA club will pay that. Late 1st at best or a combo of 2nd round pick plus player that together is valued at a late first rounder.

That is a fair trade for a 27 yr old role player.

Only posters who think a top 10 pick is the outcome are delusional Tigers fans.
He might just be a role player to you

But to us he’s very, very valuable. Vice captain. But more than that with his and his tenacity he sets a standard for the young blokes at our club, and we don’t have enough of those at the moment.

For that reason I think we should be doing the best we can to encourage him to stay. But if he does decide he wants to move back to WA I think we should be putting a high price on him.

If you think he’s just a “role player” then you probably think a pick in the 8-12 range is too much.

But for a guy who sets the standard with his attitude, act in the footy, and ability to make something out of nothing a late first rounder or package of fringe player plus second rounder should not be enough – even if we’re playing nice and helping him get to where he wants to go.

I’m kind of resigned to him going. I think it’s going to be a bad thing for us and our developing young players if / when he does. And I really hope we stick to our guns and get a proper price if he does go.

He'd be a complete mug if he agreed to that, it'd never happen. Leaving a year older so the offers won't be as lucrative, plus he'd be leaving a whole lot to chance. What if he gets a bad injury in that year and the interest and offers wane further? Or worse yet in something more topical, a career-ending concussion. Gotta strike while the iron's hot and the teams are willing to offer big money for him.
>If a trade cant be done
If a trade cant be done and the PSD isnt an option because the Tigers are 17th then what else can Baker do? Itd be out of his hands, up to the Tigers to agree to lesser compensation or he has to stay another year.
If he really wants to come home then he will have to sign a 1 year deal to get him to FA

Sounds like none of the Freo/Wce fans really want to pay a first rounder for him tbh

Im still not seeing a first rounder being used on Baker. A role player but not a star
Small, plays a range of positions, yes

But has an attitude / will to win / attack of football / ability to create something out of nothing / intensity – that is rare even among elite sports people

Honestly there aren’t many people on our list at the moment I’d less like to lose

Shai Bolton obviously

Noah Balta as long as he shakes off whatever is hampering at the moment and continues developing the way he has been

Nankervis again for setting the standard for the young blokes coming through

Vlastuin need him to help get doe structure with these young blokes in the back line

After those four I’d say Baker is the most important for us to keep (or if we have to lose him get real value for him)

Helping people get to their destination clubs out of the kindness of your heart is for blokes who are struggling to make best 22 - for us like Jack Higgins, Butler, Brandon Ellis types.

Not for key parts of the senior team. No charity if we have to give up one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back