Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Should absolutely get a Friday night slot once a year. It’s high time the AFL ensures the clubs in QLD get adequate exposure.
Would want the Suns in the first few weeks of the season because they are not competitive later in the year.

Should absolutely get a Friday night slot once a year. It’s high time the AFL ensures the clubs in QLD get adequate exposure.
Disagree. The projected best game of the round should be scheduled for Fri night. It is the flagship game and shouldn’t be a charitable offering.

Listening to a bit of media commentary in the wake of last night's game, and of the attention Cameron received with taps on his injured elbow, I've heard some comparison of it with Riewoldt's injury and the Scotts/Michael in the 2000s. It seems to have become accepted history that Riewoldt was on the way to the bench when those clashes happened.

This is completely untrue. Riewoldt was running back to full-forward and attempting to resume play. But because Victorian viewers were on an ad break, they only saw it in replay. The cutting of the replay made it appear that he was on the way to boundary. I was there and I can state categorically that the Scotts and Michael, while certainly no saints themselves, left him alone once he headed to the bench. It was a stupid decision by Riewoldt to attempt to play on that lead to the situation.

So if Cameron was injured and attempted to play on then GWS were entirely within their rights to use legal means to test him out. I'm convinced that both the Cameron and Riewoldt incidents were entirely legal. The umpire was out of line last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to a bit of media commentary in the wake of last night's game, and of the attention Cameron received with taps on his injured elbow, I've heard some comparison of it with Riewoldt's injury and the Scotts/Michael in the 2000s. It seems to have become accepted history that Riewoldt was on the way to the bench when those clashes happened.

This is completely untrue. Riewoldt was running back to full-forward and attempting to resume play. But because Victorian viewers were on an ad break, they only saw it in replay. The cutting of the replay made it appear that he was on the way to boundary. I was there and I can state categorically that the Scotts and Michael, while certainly no saints themselves, left him alone once he headed to the bench. It was a stupid decision by Riewoldt to attempt to play on that lead to the situation.

So if Cameron was injured and attempted to play on then GWS were entirely within their rights to use legal means to test him out. I'm convinced that both the Cameron and Riewoldt incidents were entirely legal. The umpire was out of line last night.

Surely this type of behaviour is what Stratton was suspended for earlier in the season though?

Fagan was asked in the post-game press conference and replied "well he's out there playing then he's fit and it's fair game right ? "

I think Umpire went a bit over the top even though it favored us on that occasion.

The Riewoldt situation was 15 years ago. There were 3/4 legal bumps a game even that recently that would now lead to suspensions for head high contact. Ie I don’t see it as a relevant comparison.

I thought the umpire was correct to stop direct/deliberate contact to the arm like that given it was off the ball. Doesn’t mean that in a contest you don’t make sure you tackle/bump him hard but off the ball is weak.

I can’t remember who but recently thee was a player with a broken finger who was being slapped on the hand and post game it was agreed it wasn’t good form. Then the Stratton situation this year with Charlie (continual punches) and whoever he pinched.

The Riewoldt situation was 15 years ago. There were 3/4 legal bumps a game even that recently that would now lead to suspensions for head high contact. Ie I don’t see it as a relevant comparison.

I thought the umpire was correct to stop direct/deliberate contact to the arm like that given it was off the ball. Doesn’t mean that in a contest you don’t make sure you tackle/bump him hard but off the ball is weak.

I can’t remember who but recently thee was a player with a broken finger who was being slapped on the hand and post game it was agreed it wasn’t good form. Then the Stratton situation this year with Charlie (continual punches) and whoever he pinched.

I have no idea why it was a talking point - there was no free kick awarded and no fine or suspension levied. Bizarre for some in the media to complain about it so much.

I dont buy in to the whole 'fair game' thing. No one is asking for special treatment if a player plays on with an injury. It is fine if things happen during normal course of play, but i find it out of line to be intentionally hitting a player at an injury behind play just running to position. There is entirely no need, it is a bad look and very poor sportsmanship i think. Bump into them, do everything you would normally, but dont treat them any different because they are playing on with an injury.

Fagan is an absolutely brilliant coach, but nobody would say he's perfect. And I think Dylan12 raises some fair points that his sense of loyalty (or perhaps his need to stick to a particular plan/vision) got in the way of our progress towards the end of the season. Rayner deserved to be dropped in the middle of the year, but to his credit he stepped it up in the finals and gave a better account of himself in recent weeks. There have been some other players who may have been shown excessive loyalty though. Zac Bailey hasn't been all that impressive lately, and McCarthy especially has just looked worn down, with his performances being well below what he showed in the middle of the season.

Harsh as it is to drop people, I feel like we could have gone further had we promoted Bastinac in favour of one of them. I don't know what more Bastinac could have done to impress the coaches, he's been tearing NEAFL games apart. Robertson played well enough against the Giants but I can't help but think we needed another good ball user to set us up inside 50. So what I'd like to see from Fagan next year is a bit more ruthlessness, and more rewards for those who've really excelled at NEAFL level. I want us to have the best possible chance of winning games, rather than carrying a few passengers out of a sense of loyalty or devotion to a particular plan.

Fagan is an absolutely brilliant coach, but nobody would say he's perfect. And I think Dylan12 raises some fair points that his sense of loyalty (or perhaps his need to stick to a particular plan/vision) got in the way of our progress towards the end of the season. Rayner deserved to be dropped in the middle of the year, but to his credit he stepped it up in the finals and gave a better account of himself in recent weeks. There have been some other players who may have been shown excessive loyalty though. Zac Bailey hasn't been all that impressive lately, and McCarthy especially has just looked worn down, with his performances being well below what he showed in the middle of the season.

Harsh as it is to drop people, I feel like we could have gone further had we promoted Bastinac in favour of one of them. I don't know what more Bastinac could have done to impress the coaches, he's been tearing NEAFL games apart. Robertson played well enough against the Giants but I can't help but think we needed another good ball user to set us up inside 50. So what I'd like to see from Fagan next year is a bit more ruthlessness, and more rewards for those who've really excelled at NEAFL level. I want us to have the best possible chance of winning games, rather than carrying a few passengers out of a sense of loyalty or devotion to a particular plan.

It's up to players now to provide the return for loyalty shown by coach. Rayner has 46 games to his name including finals in spite of being still a teenager which is pretty awesome base to build on.

Taking the next step needs to come from players collectively. Interesting off season ahead.

It's up to players now to provide the return for loyalty shown by coach. Rayner has 46 games to his name including finals in spite of being still a teenager which is pretty awesome base to build on.

Taking the next step needs to come from players collectively. Interesting off season ahead.
No doubt, but the coach bears responsibility too if he repeatedly selects players who don't perform. While I doubt we could have overcome Richmond even with some changes, I'm pretty confident we could have easily accounted for GWS with a slightly different team.

Overall I'm pleased with what Rayner showed this year, especially towards the end. He didn't deserve to play as many games as he did though, he was pretty bad for a stretch before the bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back