List Mgmt. List Management 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is fine in isolation. He made personal choice and that's completely up to him.

So is the amount of trust team-mates would have for him going forward if they all consent to do something and he decides to skip it. I'm sure he wasn't the only player who was hesitant, but no one else left the team short. Where is the team buy-in?

End of the day, Jones made a personal choice which left the team undermanned.

If he doesn't have our back in this, what other situation will he pull out of?

One for all (except one) and all (except one) for one doesn't really work.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is absolute snot!

We’ll look back on these years and wonder HTF were these decisions allowed to be accepted.

Yep, looking at the reserves a Max Heath (MSD pick last year) type that can play forward & ruck
Brynn Teakle (East Fremantle) or Liam Reidy (Frankston)
Then we need someone that can defend down back around the same type of player/KPD.
Zac Strom (South Fremantle)
Would like to pick up a talented player in advance of the ND, if there’s anyone around our pick that remains who we highly rate with AFL potential.
Wade Derksen (Peel Thunder) but unlikely available

Run that one by the Essendon board and see how you go.

Jones appeared to be an incredibly well prepared AFL footballer, who flew at packs with often breath taking abandon. I'm pretty sure the boys were comfortable with his level of commitment.
I'm not saying they aren't. Just that they'd be well within their rights to question it. Each would make up their own mind on that.

Brynn Teakle (East Fremantle) or Liam Reidy (Frankston)

Zac Strom (South Fremantle)

Wade Derksen (Peel Thunder) but unlikely available

We may be too late in the piece for the younger versions.
Didn’t notice much about Reidy other than he was a massive unit.

Strom, perhaps. Pegoraro was mentioned on radio as being of AFL quality in the recent WA state game.

Then there’s Carmichael & Bauer from the SANFL. Hopefully a smokey or 2 that we’ve got our eye on.

Still not seeing a point that has been missed. There may be some discontent at Jones leaving at some levels. Tying that in any way to Doc's cancer battle is tenuous and unecessary.

I am sure it's the furtherest thing from Doc's mind.
If you think the level of contact with those who refuse to get the vaccine is an afterthought for those who are immuno-compromised, then there's really no further discussion to be had here.

You have all completely missed the point.

Unlike others I have no issue with Jones choosing to do what he wants with his body. I think he's a ******* idiot, but it is entirely his choice.
He is not the only person to refuse the vaccine and if he is prepared to wear the consequences of his choices, then so be it.

You are absolutely kidding yourself though if you don't think there would be angst between Jones and the rest of the playing group.
How can you possibly think there wouldn't be, when we have the added context of Doc and his cancer battle? Jones' decision would have coincided with Doc being at his lowest point, severely immuno-compromised.

Do you not think it's odd that despite being a fantastic career story and an integral part of our team, the narrative from the club has not been one that he would be welcomed back with open arms?

That should tell you all you need to know.

As I have said before, good luck to Liam and good on him if he gets another opportunity at AFL level. We can forget about a return to Carlton though - it won't happen.

To speak in such a condescending tone whilst acting as if you know what Docherty and the playing group thinks when you don't know any of them personally displays a serious lack of self awareness from you.

From memory, Docherty was the first to post an Instagram story of Jones with the caption saying "love you forever mate" when he retired, with the rest of the players re-posting it.

What narrative would you expect from the club? They're playing games of footy every week and the rules don't allow for Jones to play at the moment - they have nothing to say. Suggesting silence means everyone has beef with Jones is dumb.

If the rules change and he's allowed on a list, we'd be stupid to not take a look, and I reckon the players would feel the same.

Weits seems fine with him and his decision.

I can tell you that setting expectations for anyone outside of immediate family is wildly unrealistic.
And yet the vast majority have seen fit to meet those expectations. Of course there will always be exceptions, but perhaps it't not as wildly unrealistic as you are thinking.

Anyway, this is way off topic now. Let's leave it there.

Any more talls go down we are screwed...sceptical if a mid season recruit can have an impact, would be really difficult with no chance to learn the game plan etc. But hoping we do pick up a few.
  • We have no cover for TDK until Pitto comes back in about 8 weeks. Not sure if can count Mirkov as afl ready who also got injured today.
  • We have no cover for Curnow or Mckay.
  • We have no cover for JSOS for the forward ruck role with TDK rucking.
  • We have no cover for Weitering or Young except to bring in Kemp who isn't really a key defender.

Desperately need a key defender then ideally a forward ruck. The fact guys like Jack Hayes and Nic Martin have come in and had an impact as mature SPP's gives me hope we can find a gem.

Yeah, just not a fan of conflating Doc's cancer with...well, anything footy related really.

Jones walked his walk for his reasons, at considerable expense.

I live and work rurally (out of town) and am vacc'd to the hilt. If C19 can find me, I think Doc has a bit more to worry about than any of his rigorously monitored team mates.

The fact that as a society we’ve given up on the immunocompromised over the last six months, doesn’t change the fact that when Jones made his decision that wasn’t the case.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So by your reasoning not getting the Vax would be similar to getting drunk on gameday. Hey, it's their choice.

I think this logic is flawed.

No, having the choice to drink. Your assumption is that not getting the vacc directly leads to a negative, life threatening outcome. It doesn’t. Just as choosing to drink, or getting drunk does not directly lead to a negative life threatening outcome. That’s not flawed, it’s the freedom to choose.

Anyway, this is not the right thread for this conversation so it’s over.

Bring in a KPP who can lock down a monster to free up Bot to intercept and bounce off the backline.

The fact that as a society we’ve given up on the immunocompromised over the last six months, doesn’t change the fact that when Jones made his decision that wasn’t the case.

Yeah, like I said previously in this thread, we live with lifelong immuno suppression in our family unit...we don't feel we've been given up on, and we certainly don't expect anything from those outside of our family unit. Reason being there is a lot more than C19 and cohorts to be mindful of. The vigilance started well before and will extend well beyond Covid.

Lots of people here happy to speak for Doc, and I'm mindful of adding to that...but I'd doubt he's losing much sleep about it.

Last edited:
We may be too late in the piece for the younger versions.
Didn’t notice much about Reidy other than he was a massive unit.

Strom, perhaps. Pegoraro was mentioned on radio as being of AFL quality in the recent WA state game.

Then there’s Carmichael & Bauer from the SANFL. Hopefully a smokey or 2 that we’ve got our eye on.

I watched Reidy in the Franga game and he didn’t excite me. But we may not have much to choose from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What contact? He left the club. Made his decision, walked away, zero impact on Docherty's health battle.
Did you miss the comment below? It's off topic, and I've got no real interest in continuing anyway if you're going to drag the comment out of context.

Anyway, this is way off topic now. Let's leave it there.

Any more talls go down we are screwed...sceptical if a mid season recruit can have an impact, would be really difficult with no chance to learn the game plan etc. But hoping we do pick up a few.
  • We have no cover for TDK until Pitto comes back in about 8 weeks. Not sure if can count Mirkov as afl ready who also got injured today.
  • We have no cover for Curnow or Mckay.
  • We have no cover for JSOS for the forward ruck role with TDK rucking.
  • We have no cover for Weitering or Young except to bring in Kemp who isn't really a key defender.

Desperately need a key defender then ideally a forward ruck. The fact guys like Jack Hayes and Nic Martin have come in and had an impact as mature SPP's gives me hope we can find a gem.
Only thing is both those player
Had the benefit of an AFL standard pre season..

You have all completely missed the point.

Unlike others I have no issue with Jones choosing to do what he wants with his body. I think he's a ******* idiot, but it is entirely his choice.
He is not the only person to refuse the vaccine and if he is prepared to wear the consequences of his choices, then so be it.

You are absolutely kidding yourself though if you don't think there would be angst between Jones and the rest of the playing group.
How can you possibly think there wouldn't be, when we have the added context of Doc and his cancer battle? Jones' decision would have coincided with Doc being at his lowest point, severely immuno-compromised.

Do you not think it's odd that despite being a fantastic career story and an integral part of our team, the narrative from the club has not been one that he would be welcomed back with open arms?

As I have said before, good luck to Liam and good on him if he gets another opportunity at AFL level. We can forget about a return to Carlton though - it won't happen.
Yeah mate I did t think of doc compromised immune system. Good point! It's tough to know right, maybe the players have been told to stay out of commenting

I bear no grudge against Jones and I genuinely wish him the best if he gets picked up by another side but I don't think it would be a good look for the club if we just brushed it off and he somehow stayed with us.
It was an AFL directive to which we complied because..;well... we didnt have any choice. How would it be a bad look for our club, who, begrudgingly, had to let him go? We treated him with the utmost respect, over his decision- as we should have. If he is able to play again due to afl rules changing, I see no reason why we shouldn't pick him up again

It was an AFL directive to which we complied because..;well... we didnt have any choice. How would it be a bad look for our club, who, begrudgingly, had to let him go? We treated him with the utmost respect, over his decision- as we should have. If he is able to play again due to afl rules changing, I see no reason why we shouldn't pick him up again
He walked out on the club.
Days after we could have officially cut him from the list, and had the chance to draft another player.

Jones doesn’t get vaccinated and leaving the club means he didnt support Doc in his cancer recovery? What a load of s**t. Running out on a football field has nothing to do with supporting friends through adversity, friends are suppose to respect each other’s beliefs, life choices, boundaries.

I am guessing it was the fact that many being treated for cancer are immunocompromised (but not necessarily-it depends on the cancer and the treatment involved) and as such are more susceptible to covid.
I am also guessing that not being vaccinated makes you more liable to be a carrier (debatable- especially with omicron)

I disagree. The player group seems pretty respectful, and respected his decision. Its the fans that seem more upset because it interferes with their hopes and dreams of a premiership. The players have a much closer relationship with Jones than any fan, and as such would have much higher level of empathy than we will as fans

what would you call it?

Erm, following his employers rules? He didn't want the jab for his own reasons, those reasons are none of our business.

The AFL enforced their rules and he was forced to retire. He didn't bad mouth the club, or the AFL, or his teammates, he didn't put Docherty back into hospital. He quietly went away & minded his own business.

Every single piece of media coming from the club (including the players) have had nothing but praise for him and respected his decision.

If the club came to the players and asked what they thought of filling the current KPD hole with Liam in pursuit of a Premiership, I'm fairly sure they'd be cool with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back