List Mgmt. List Management Discussion for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've heard he's keen to get a better contract now the front loading of his contact is done. Problem is finding a club that's willing to part with the draft capital required to get a deal done. I think he stays, I think he'd prefer not to though.
Nah, loves it here. He's def a hawks man for mine, wants to stay and will likely get a consistent (meaning not front or backended) in his next (2023?) which will be good for him. But yeah likes it here, we like him and want him to stay. It's mutual + no one would part way with what we want.

Quite amazingly GC are not blessed with cap space !!! But I am with you, give me GC's pick three for TMitch and I will pack his bags myself...Sorry Tommy but we need high end picks more than your ineffectual cheapies !
If a player like Mitchell wanted to head North to the Suns the AFL would make it happen with salary cap magic.

I am happy if Titch stays. I am equally as excited by the possibility of taking more picks into this draft.

Don't be upset if titch goes. We will get better.
Better?!
Four full seasons at the club:
2017-B&F and All Australian
2018-B&F, All Australian and Brownlow
2020-Runner up B&F
2021-B&F(?)

Pretty good record. Players like that don’t grow on trees. The draft is 50-50 at best regardless of the pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nah, loves it here. He's def a hawks man for mine, wants to stay and will likely get a consistent (meaning not front or backended) in his next (2023?) which will be good for him. But yeah likes it here, we like him and want him to stay. It's mutual + no one would part way with what we want.
Agreed.

What do you think about the James Cousins situation?

He's a smart fella who's been on healthy deals even before he was a regular 22 player at the Swans. He's made plenty of smart investments and got himself some lucrative sponsorships. He could play out the rest of his playing days for free and he would retire very financially well off. But like I said, if we really do have plenty of cap space free I'm not against giving him a raise if it's just a matter of money.
I’m sorry but that logic is ridiculous for a player who is in the top tier of pay structure / front loaded so received above yearly contracted earnings and is now requiring a bottom 4 club that he is directly apart of to pay him at a higher rate when their is significant list needs.

I would be keeping reserve for our significant youth coming through that will need payrises, not player in the top of our pay structure

Better?!
2020-Runner up B&F
2021-B&F(?)

Pretty good record. Players like that don’t grow on trees. The draft is 50-50 at best regardless of the pick.

Great for Tom that he’s gotten all of those individual achievements at the club - all the while our midfield is a mess at times because we have too many of the same type of midfielder and lack x-factor in the middle. Hence why losing him may be a blessing in disguise - a bit like how our forward line didn’t suffer when Franklin left.

Our midfield could have looked one-paced because of how poorly it was performing.

Post bye, it and the team performed better. Add Nash and Jai and perhaps another and I think we will be better again.

Mitch gets more possessions than anyone.
That is not easy to replace.

Better?!
2020-Runner up B&F
2021-B&F(?)

we will get better, yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great for Tom that he’s gotten all of those individual achievements at the club - all the while our midfield is a mess at times because we have too many of the same type of midfielder and lack x-factor in the middle. Hence why losing him may be a blessing in disguise - a bit like how our forward line didn’t suffer when Franklin left.
I’m not against trading Mitchell but the biggest issue with the midfield has been coaching rather than personnel.

I’m not against trading Mitchell but the biggest issue with the midfield has been coaching rather than personnel.

Let me put it this way then - the midfield of Phillips/Mitchell/O’Meara/Worpel/Howe and Shiels won’t win a flag - I think we all know that, even with better coaching. We need to hit the draft to get a chance at the midfielders we need - the only player who could get us more assets to help with that is Mitchell. If we get the draft collateral we need by way of an offer then I’m hoping we jump at it. As good a player as Tom is - I want the next premiership to be the objective now - not Tom’s deserved individual honours.

Let me put it this way then - the midfield of Phillips/Mitchell/O’Meara/Worpel/Howe and Shiels won’t win a flag - I think we all know that, even with better coaching. We need to hit the draft to get a chance at the midfielders we need - the only player who could get us more assets to help with that is Mitchell. If we get the draft collateral we need by way of an offer then I’m hoping we jump at it. As good a player as Tom is - I want the next premiership to be the objective now - not Tom’s deserved individual honours.

Agree the above midfield is not a flag threat, but I would focus on the weak points rather than trading out a strength? Swap out Phillips, Howe and Shiels for Wingard, Nash, Newcombe, CJ, Bramble, Day, Impey etc (They all can't play HBF!!!). Add the best midfielder at pick 7 (or whatever it is) and we start to have more depth and quality?

I get the logic in trading Tom but we shouldn’t kid ourselves into think that we won’t miss him like we didn’t miss buddy. There will be short term pain that we hope leads us to a better place.

Agree the above midfield is not a flag threat, but I would focus on the weak points rather than trading out a strength? Swap out Phillips, Howe and Shiels for Wingard, Nash, Newcombe, CJ, Bramble, Day, Impey etc (They all can't play HBF!!!). Add the best midfielder at pick 7 (or whatever it is) and we start to have more depth and quality?

The midfield rotations are certainly going to improve with some of those players in the mix. In terms of the inside engine room though - Mitchell/O'Meara/Worpel and Shiels are one too many. We need to get young quality midfielders into the club and we need assets to do that. As it stands the only player I could see who could bring us high draft picks but we can also afford to lose is Mitchell. Yes the team dynamic has changed - but our best season result over the last 3 seasons is the one where Mitchell didn't play a single game.

I get the logic in trading Tom but we shouldn’t kid ourselves into think that we won’t miss him like we didn’t miss buddy. There will be short term pain that we hope leads us to a better place.

We are in a rebuild - short term pain is a given, but if we get the chance we should give ourselves as much opportunity in stocking up on good younger players now. I am not suggesting we will get better without Mitchell - however we almost made the 8 in 2019 when Mitchell didn't play a single game and Worpel/O'Meara were our primary inside midfielders. I think, if fit, there is more to work with on our list in 2022 than there was in 2019 with younger players like CJ, Day, Kosi, Moore, Bramble and Newcombe all showing promise.

The midfield rotations are certainly going to improve with some of those players in the mix. In terms of the inside engine room though - Mitchell/O'Meara/Worpel and Shiels are one too many. We need to get young quality midfielders into the club and we need assets to do that. As it stands the only player I could see who could bring us high draft picks but we can also afford to lose is Mitchell. Yes the team dynamic has changed - but our best season result over the last 3 seasons is the one where Mitchell didn't play a single game.

to be fair Shiels is hardly part of the midfield rotation at all anymore

will be interesting to see how Sammy uses him next year

again, I don't necessarily disagree but i still think it's unfair to appropriate 2019's relative success with Tom not playing given what he did the year prior. Our team around him theoretically got better from 18-19 (with Chad, Scully, Worpel being best 22, Hendo, Lewis, TOB having career years etc.) yet we finished 6 places lower on the ladder

Reckon you've been fed wrongly on this one sorry mate.

to be fair Shiels is hardly part of the midfield rotation at all anymore

will be interesting to see how Sammy uses him next year

again, I don't necessarily disagree but i still think it's unfair to appropriate 2019's relative success with Tom not playing given what he did the year prior. Our team around him theoretically got better from 18-19 (with Chad, Scully, Worpel being best 22, Hendo, Lewis, TOB having career years etc.) yet we finished 6 places lower on the ladder

Good points on the acquisitions from 18 to 19 that helped soften the blow in his absence. However the results in 2020 and 2021 can't be ignored. It's all well and good cheering Tom on getting 40+ possessions a game when we are a bottom 4 side - but I would rather embrace the rebuild and if he's looking elsewhere and we can get the right compensation we can pull the trigger and start getting excited about the 19 year old who is getting 20-25 touches a game but brings some x-factor to the side and could be a 10-15 year player for us.

sorry mate, you have some off info, seen as abit of an outsider to the main group (younger players), not to say he isnt liked, but noone will be shattered that he is gone in the group, Clarko was down on him as well before he left, never mentioned him in any of the interviews in regards to feeling responsible to those players he promised a flag tilt (Wingard, Impey, Omeara)

Good points on the acquisitions from 18 to 19 that helped soften the blow in his absence. However the results in 2020 and 2021 can't be ignored. It's all well and good cheering Tom on getting 40+ possessions a game when we are a bottom 4 side - but I would rather embrace the rebuild and if he's looking elsewhere and we can get the right compensation we can pull the trigger and start getting excited about the 19 year old who is getting 20-25 touches a game but brings some x-factor to the side and could be a 10-15 year player for us.

Yeah for sure, I completely understand and am on board with why we should consider trading Titch. I just think there will be some serious short-term pain (for long-term gain) if we do because one of our biggest issues is mids depth, so we will struggle to cover losing our best I imagine, unless someone like Newcombe/Nash really takes the next step. Let's hope they do Titch or no Titch though

sorry mate, you have some off info, seen as abit of an outsider to the main group (younger players), not to say he isnt liked, but noone will be shattered that he is gone in the group, Clarko was down on him as well before he left, never mentioned him in any of the interviews in regards to feeling responsible to those players he promised a flag tilt (Wingard, Impey, Omeara)

D601AAB0-E4A6-4608-9E5F-CCC4F945F7F2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back