List Mgmt. Marsh going home for personal reasons

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who has had more than a few bouts of depression, I can categorically say my decision making at those times leaves a lot to be desired. Just getting away can become an end in itself regardless of long term consequences.
As someone battling it now, I can only but agree about the decision making. In fact, I believe I subconsciously make bad decisions in order to intensify the self torture.

Whatever people thing about Kennett the politician or Hawks president, he must be congratulated with his work with Beyond Blue.

His penance for closing numerous mental health facilities, gutting funding, deregulating the mental health system.

All the good work he does now (and it is good work), it doesn't atone for the damage done as premier when he was in the position to do good.

Schizophrenics went from institutions to homelessness, a policy that continues to today, significantly contributing to homelessness and prison populations today.

Ok I've vented, I feel better now.

His penance for closing numerous mental health facilities, gutting funding, deregulating the mental health system.

All the good work he does now (and it is good work), it doesn't atone for the damage done as premier when he was in the position to do good.

Schizophrenics went from institutions to homelessness, a policy that continues to today, significantly contributing to homelessness and prison populations today.

Can't disagree with any of those points.

At my local library, I run into quite a few that have been left to manage on their own, really sad.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! Not from your perspective, but from the Marsh camp.

He should sack his manager on the spot if he winds up remaining at the club because you should only announce your intentions such as it was done if you have a suitor committed to you!

I guess that assumes his primary objective was to play in WA rather than that just being a potential outcome of wanting to go home.

As someone who has had more than a few bouts of depression, I can categorically say my decision making at those times leaves a lot to be desired. Just getting away can become an end in itself regardless of long term consequences.
I guess that assumes his primary objective was to play in WA rather than that just being a potential outcome of wanting to go home.

It appears that a few may have confused the point of my post which is understandable given its lost its context after being moved from the original thread. Sometimes its better to just leave posts where they were...

Having never been in Marsh's position I can't talk on his state of mind, but his management have let him down in a number of ways which was the thrust of my point.

They're employed to handle ALL of his affairs and in this instance they've let him down by going public without a clear plan for his future. If football will keep him grounded then they needed to line up a future for him with a WA club before going public and if football is not on the agenda moving forward then it stays in house until it becomes relevant again. If any sort of plan is not possible at this time again keep it in house for Marsh's benefit.

Its a complex scenario that has been handled poorly by those in charge of his affairs, IMO.

Last edited:

Premier Nick Greiner did similarly in NSW.

Inner city facilities converted to expensive apartments while the neighbouring streets came to house additional mentally unwell.

(Nick continued to use his Harvard MBA productively as Australian Chairman of British American Tobacco.)

Hey BFers

Just FWIW the Welfare Manager for many years was David Stiff ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stiff_(basketball) - he was a Wookie in Star Wars III, go figure!)

Lovely bloke, well grounded and hired specifically to help not only the on-field management of player's headspace but also off-field to make sure they're well taken care of. Cannot speak more highly of the bloke, and has been around during our 2010-11 dominance so he knows success.

No doubt he's had his work cut out for him in the last few years. Interestingly he doesn't look to be on staff anymore. I know he was looking to expand his role and do some further education in Sports Psychology so maybe he's left to concentrate on that.

It's probably left a bit of a hole in that role though - Bucks/Taps really rated his work and the players were right around him.

Not sure who has been nominated to replace him or whether that role has been re-assigned. But I hope that gives a little more insight into the way it used to work at the Lexus/Holden centre.
Interesting. Looks like we are stiff if we don't find a good replacement in this important area.

Sorry to read this. Sometimes if we work too hard or we don't eat well our mattress work suffers. Have you had your zinc levels checked?
That's so good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Closing institutions was bipartisan policy and in the main it was a good thing that the institutions were closed.
2. Homelessness for all people including those who have schizophrenia has little to do with closing institutions
3. Kennet did not cut funding to Mental Health per se compared to other areas
4. Kennet cut the phuk out of disability services - I will not forgive him for this
5. The community mental health sector grew
6. The issue with homelessness is more related to governments (particularly state & federal & particularly the libs)is directly related to cutting & underfunding public housing.

I agree with your view that "it doesn't atone for the damage done as premier when he was in the position to do good".

Absolutely fudged know.
Marsh, Frost ,Brown
And some people on this forum think we dont have key positional issues.
Really upset to be honnest only 20 thought he could have been something.
Anyway what do you think guys we could get for him? Maybe in 30s?
I'd hope so since he has already shown a lot and looks to have a lot more improvement - but that's not certain of course so 30's seems right.

Hey BFers

Just FWIW the Welfare Manager for many years was David Stiff ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stiff_(basketball) - he was a Wookie in Star Wars III, go figure!)

Lovely bloke, well grounded and hired specifically to help not only the on-field management of player's headspace but also off-field to make sure they're well taken care of. Cannot speak more highly of the bloke, and has been around during our 2010-11 dominance so he knows success.

No doubt he's had his work cut out for him in the last few years. Interestingly he doesn't look to be on staff anymore. I know he was looking to expand his role and do some further education in Sports Psychology so maybe he's left to concentrate on that.

It's probably left a bit of a hole in that role though - Bucks/Taps really rated his work and the players were right around him.

Not sure who has been nominated to replace him or whether that role has been re-assigned. But I hope that gives a little more insight into the way it used to work at the Lexus/Holden centre.
I'm having trouble reconciling this post vs multiple posts that there were problems in our player welfare department. Any idea when David left?
My quick research concludes that everyone (except Witts & Cox) looked up to David

As someone battling it now, I can only but agree about the decision making. In fact, I believe I subconsciously make bad decisions in order to intensify the self torture.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Thought there was something seriously wrong with me.
Sorry to hear you're still going through Depression.

I'm having trouble reconciling this post vs multiple posts that there were problems in our player welfare department. Any idea when David left?
My quick research concludes that everyone (except Witts & Cox) looked up to David

I think end of last year?

And all jokes aside I would find it pretty unbelievable that he would have neglected any player on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back