Matador BBQs One Day Cup - 5-25 October 2015

Who will win the Matador BBQs One Day Cup in 2015?

• CA XI

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • NSW

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • QLD

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • SA

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • TAS

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • VIC

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • WA

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a lie. Scores of over 300 have been made regularly in domestic and international cricket. If Australia has to chase 350 in ODI in India, then it is to be expected they should make similar scores in their own domestic overs competition. The reason it is occurring is because the format is allowing it. As the series moves on, it will tighten up because bowlers adapt and pitches wear. If you want to stay an 80's and 90's baby do so, but don't criticise the game for moving past your stand point.
It hasn't moved on with anything except small grounds and concrete pitches. You put in a livelier pitch on a big ground like the MCG and you won't see that type of s**t at all. The MCG has only seen 12 plus 300 scores, none above 350. 3 occurred at the world cup recently which we know was made for big hitting with benign pitches.

You are incorrect.

As reap said above, it's only being made regularly in the last two tears or so. 300 was viewed as a very tough score to chase down not all that long ago. Short boundaries/small grounds are making this a much more common occurrence, but when scores are getting as large and ridiculous as it has been, change is needed.

300 has been the expected par score for international one day teams since Sri Lanka changed the game in the mid 90's. So it's been the expectation now for almost 20 years and you are still behind the times. If anything is to attribute to the rise in stroke play it is the advent of T20 cricket and that batsmen hit cleaner for longer because that is how they train.

in 2000/01 there were 3 scores over 300+ with top of 325
in 2001/02 there were 2 scores of 300+ with a top 379
in 2002/03 there were was one score of 311
in 2003/04 there was one score of 405
in 2004/05 there was one score of 340
in 2005/06 there were 3 scores over 300,
in 2006/07 there was 1 score of 340
in 2007/08 there was 5 scores over 300, with 352 the highest
in 2008/09 there was 2 300+ scores
in 2009/10 there was 8 300+ scores with a highest of 339
in 2010/11 there was 4 scores of 300+
in 2011/12 there was 4 scores of 300+
in 2012/13 there was 4 scores of 300+ with 379 the highest
in 2013/14 there was 7 scores of 300+ with 331 the highest
in 2014/15 there was 5 scores of 300 plus with 402 the highest

What you are failing to understand is that every team is training and preparing for OD cricket and it is obvious they are going to be ready to go for white ball cricket. Where as previously it was usually split up between the Sheffield, the BBL etc.

edit: domestic comp

It hasn't moved on with anything except small grounds and concrete pitches. You put in a livelier pitch on a big ground like the MCG and you won't see that type of s**t at all. The MCG has only seen 12 plus 300 scores, none above 350. 3 occurred at the world cup recently which we know was made for big hitting with benign pitches.

You are incorrect.

in 2009/10 5 of the 300+ totals came at the the MCG.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, couldn't see anything posted in the last few pages.

How are the points allocated following a result? NSW currently on 6, TAS 5, VIC and SA both on 4 after one win with no bonus points awarded.

Then CA XI are 2 points after 2 beltings. Struggling to find a logical explanation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, couldn't see anything posted in the last few pages.

How are the points allocated following a result? NSW currently on 6, TAS 5, VIC and SA both on 4 after one win with no bonus points awarded.

Then CA XI are 2 points after 2 beltings. Struggling to find a logical explanation.

Ladder has been fixed on CA website, problem answered.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the CA XI in the comp needs to be taken out back and shot
His name is Greg Chappell - he was my technical guru for soo long - but now he's on the wrong train and he's been on it for a long while. He fails to understand what they've done to the pyramid model and a man who was all about technique is now trying to retrofit it to talent and here's the newsflash - it's too late!

I fear for him - but more so to the lambs being slaughtered in this squad - apply the mercy rule and pull them out - sack GS and install me in his or a similar role - I'd quite happily sort out the mess

His name is Greg Chappell - he was my technical guru for soo long - but now he's on the wrong train and he's been on it for a long while. He fails to understand what they've done to the pyramid model and a man who was all about technique is now trying to retrofit it to talent and here's the newsflash - it's too late!

I fear for him - but more so to the lambs being slaughtered in this squad - apply the mercy rule and pull them out - sack GS and install me in his or a similar role - I'd quite happily sort out the mess

Bit of a sidetrack here but this year for those following the CA XI concept stems down to the national underage tournaments (U/17s currently on).
Traditionally in the past past each state/territory had their squad competing in this U/17-19s carnivals. This year we've seen Victoria split into two teams forming a metro and country squad along with NSW splitting into metro and country/ACT squads. The CA XI squad is comprised of the best u/15s that held their national tournament earlier this year. Later on this year during the 19s carnival the CA XI will essentially be the best players from the current 17s national carnival.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the whole idea as it's made the entire carnival weaker by adding another 3 teams and exposing players that wouldn't generally be selected.

Where are CA XI at?

Is this an experiment that is not working... or too soon to call?
Could have been called, 30 seconds after the team was announced.

Recently listening to him speak about it at a coaches meeting, he was all about getting all good young talent playing together because that's the only way they get better and then cited that if you haven't played your first Shield match by the time you're 21 (might be 23) you're basically no chance of making the test team. This is in essence what is happening in the U17 and U19 who by the way in first year of the 17's, the CA XI is doing fairly well. However that can't be applied to seasoned campaigns and good young talent would get as much benefit from seasoned talent in a team than a group thrown together and potentially having different roles etc. to what maybe prescribed to them by their state.

Recently listening to him speak about it at a coaches meeting, he was all about getting all good young talent playing together because that's the only way they get better and then cited that if you haven't played your first Shield match by the time you're 21 (might be 23) you're basically no chance of making the test team. This is in essence what is happening in the U17 and U19 who by the way in first year of the 17's, the CA XI is doing fairly well. However that can't be applied to seasoned campaigns and good young talent would get as much benefit from seasoned talent in a team than a group thrown together and potentially having different roles etc. to what maybe prescribed to them by their state.
And I will argue the way they have ****ed grade cricket his assumptions are wrong, wrong, wrong - I barrelled him 12 months ago at a state coaches seminar - Jon Deeble (Aus baseball coach) came up to me later and congratulated me on my little tirade and said these pearls "you're not wrong"

However that can't be applied to seasoned campaigns and good young talent would get as much benefit from seasoned talent in a team than a group thrown together and potentially having different roles etc. to what maybe prescribed to them by their state.

It's good point. Most of the CA guys would play very different roles in their state teams. The bowlers for instance might be the 3rd/4th seamer, but for this side they're forced to lead the attack.

It's good point. Most of the CA guys would play very different roles in their state teams. The bowlers for instance might be the 3rd/4th seamer, but for this side they're forced to lead the attack.

100% certain that Harris would bat better alongside Klinger and if he knew that the Marsh brothers and Voges and Bancroft were in the same team

Back