Recommitted Matt Crouch [Recommitted to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Laird & Crouch are different style midfielders & perfectly capable of complementing each other in the midfield.

& yes, Laird could return to defence, but it would be a waste
I will agree with you on the second part, it would be a waste put Laird back in defence, but you are as close to the truth on the first part as one Crouch's kicks is to the chest of a team mate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Crouch considering our strong interest in his brother last year.

Would fill a need, and I don't think he demands a massive contract.

How bad is his injury? Career-impacting or will he be fine for next year?

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after Crouch considering our strong interest in his brother last year.

Would fill a need, and I don't think he demands a massive contract.

How bad is his injury? Career-impacting or will he be fine for next year?
Hasn't had significant injuries unlike his brother before this year.... so much so that he has played more games than his older brother.

The reason Brad wasn't band was was 2 fold IMO.

1. The Crows were bottom, so the AFL didn't want to hand out pick 2 as a compo, so it was never going to happen. If the Crows had pick 7 or 8, it would have been fine.
2. Brad demanded a 5 year deal, so the guaranteed annual contract was too small.

The whole compo thing is stupid, basing it on annual salary. A 2 year deal on 850k would probably get band 1, while a 7 year deal on $825k would be band 2.
Some times Timing is everything..... When Brad Crouch was a free agent in 2020, crows finished bottom. There was no way the AFL was going to hand you pick 3 for a bloke that played 86 games in 8 years. You also had that drugs incident too which came at the worst possible time.

Saying that..... Had Brad Crouch been a free Agent in 2019 amd a Victorian side gave Brad Crouch a 5 year deal at $700-$750,000 a year. Since the Crows finished around 11th or 12th that year. Crows would of got a pick around 8-10.

Funny thing was Gold Coast were after Brad Crouch in 2019. Suns would of been reluctant to trade away one of their promising South Australian Kids. AFL gave the suns a rescue package of picks and academy zones at the end fo 2019. I know the AFL handed them pick 1 in 2019, they were handed pick 22 which was traded and suns in 2020 are given pick 11 which they traded to Geelong.

Unlikely... at least at AFL level by the time he has recovered.
How ad is the injury? I saw todays Advertiser and it shows Matt Crouch is back at Training but not fully fit.

I think we have discussed comp before. I disliked comp because all the other teams pay for the benifit of the two teams involved. The FA age should be lower , more FA players available and clubs being able to rebalance their list with another player. Atm clubs avoid recruiting another FA to ensure they still receive draft comp... even though it does not help them short term.

Of course some clubs have more difficulties recruiting players than others. Id balance that with SCap advantages. I cant blame any club for try to manage the system to their advantage. Every club does the same thing.

What do you see the outcome for Matt Crouch being?
As I have said, Restricted free agency should go down from 8 years to 6 or even 5 years.

The outcome for matt crouch? I see the crows giving him a 2 year deal.
Mate, he wasn't even close to band one, he was band 3!

You can't claim the AFL didn't want to hand over pick 2 because it was obviously never in play.
I agree. Brad Crouch was never going to be worth a top 5 compo pick.

Again, Gold coast were after Brad Crouch in 2019. Not saying the suns would of handed pick 1 or 2 for him. Maybe a couple of 2nd rounders or offered up that pick 11 in the 2020 draft the AFL handed them to help rescue the suns.
Yeah poor timing, but he should still get a decent salary... but may shave a little of what he could have got otherwise.
Possibly.

The question is will Matt Crouch get rushed hin when he is fully fit and play a few crows games in the senoirs from now until the end of the season?

Or will the Crows slowly ease Matt Crouch in by playing a couple of games in the SANFL? So let him play half a game in his 1st game back then slowly build up his fitness in the SANFL?

The last thing the suns need is a senior inside mid with bad disposal.

they’ve got inside mids galore. Young guys that need time to develop in there and they’ve already got a bunch of big enough bodies to put in there.

Suns need quality outside mids or inside / outside mids (ones that can win some ball but also spread really hard).

they’ve got inside mids galore. Young guys that need time to develop in there and they’ve already got a bunch of big enough bodies to put in there.

Suns need quality outside mids or inside / outside mids (ones that can win some ball but also spread really hard).
Matt Crouch has very good disposal.

I wouldn't take on Matt Crouch at ANY value. Below average midfielder (C+/B-) on decent coin. Can't win contested ball himself, can't win clearances, negative impact with his possessions.

There is literally no reason ANY club should consider paying him whatever he is on right now.

I wouldn't take on Matt Crouch at ANY value. Below average midfielder (C+/B-) on decent coin. Can't win contested ball himself, can't win clearances, negative impact with his possessions.

There is literally no reason ANY club should consider paying him whatever he is on right now.
Since when can't Matt Crouch win contested footy and clearances?

What a weird post.

Like, I get being sarcastic. But this isn't actually funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His disposal isn't bad, it's quite ok. Zero hurt factor though.

Last thing we need is another inside midfielder.

Swallow, Greenwood, Rowell, Miller would be our 4 in the firsts at the moment, plus we have the likes of Brodie who can't get game time at the moment either despite putting up great numbers in the 2's. We are probably lacking a midfielder with genuine pace bursting out of the middle, and I don't think that is Crouch.

We are better trying to put that salary cap towards another key defender or key forward.

Last thing we need is another inside midfielder.

Swallow, Greenwood, Rowell, Miller would be our 4 in the firsts at the moment, plus we have the likes of Brodie who can't get game time at the moment either despite putting up great numbers in the 2's. We are probably lacking a midfielder with genuine pace bursting out of the middle, and I don't think that is Crouch.

We are better trying to put that salary cap towards another key defender or key forward.
Miller and Rowell are the only genuine AFL midfielders of that lot, though.

Brodie sadly won't amount to anything and Swallow's days are almost done.

Matt Crouch would be top three mid at your club.

Miller and Rowell are the only genuine AFL midfielders of that lot, though.

Brodie sadly won't amount to anything and Swallow's days are almost done.

Matt Crouch would be top three mid at your club.
Brodie you are right on.

Greenwood currently leading the AFL for tackles and is a clearance machine for us. Would be great if he got a little bit more of the ball around the ground but he is definitely an asset to our midfield.

Swallow I think you may be a little harsh on, probably won't ever turn into the player he could have, but gets over 20 touches a game consistently and like Greenwood is a physical presence in the midfield, which lets the likes of Miller free wheel a bit more.

Do we need another accumulator like Crouch, for the wage he would demand? I think we have other places we need to place that money.

Some times Timing is everything..... When Brad Crouch was a free agent in 2020, crows finished bottom. There was no way the AFL was going to hand you pick 3 for a bloke that played 86 games in 8 years. You also had that drugs incident too which came at the worst possible time.

Saying that..... Had Brad Crouch been a free Agent in 2019 amd a Victorian side gave Brad Crouch a 5 year deal at $700-$750,000 a year. Since the Crows finished around 11th or 12th that year. Crows would of got a pick around 8-10.

Funny thing was Gold Coast were after Brad Crouch in 2019. Suns would of been reluctant to trade away one of their promising South Australian Kids. AFL gave the suns a rescue package of picks and academy zones at the end fo 2019. I know the AFL handed them pick 1 in 2019, they were handed pick 22 which was traded and suns in 2020 are given pick 11 which they traded to Geelong.

How ad is the injury? I saw todays Advertiser and it shows Matt Crouch is back at Training but not fully fit.

Again, Gold coast were after Brad Crouch in 2019. Not saying the suns would of handed pick 1 or 2 for him. Maybe a couple of 2nd rounders or offered up that pick 11 in the 2020 draft the AFL handed them to help rescue the suns.
Possibly.
Just going off what Craig cameron has said after that trade period
- crouch’s management approached the suns to see if we would give him a massive contract.

We couldn’t go down that path without impacting other things we were working towards so said no but would investigate the following year.

from everything we’ve heard it was crouch management approaching the suns not the other way around.

Brodie you are right on.

Greenwood currently leading the AFL for tackles and is a clearance machine for us. Would be great if he got a little bit more of the ball around the ground but he is definitely an asset to our midfield.

Swallow I think you may be a little harsh on, probably won't ever turn into the player he could have, but gets over 20 touches a game consistently and like Greenwood is a physical presence in the midfield, which lets the likes of Miller free wheel a bit more.

Do we need another accumulator like Crouch, for the wage he would demand? I think we have other places we need to place that money.
Plus Alex Davies.

fiorini is a c grade version of the b+ player Matt crouch is.

Have been told a few times by my Fremantle supporting mate in Perth that the Dockers are looking at him. Not sure if it's a clear target, or he just fits the range they are supposedly looking to recruit in (a 23-27 year old established midfielder) and he's an option in there. Basically the idea was Fyfe is 30, the rest of the Dockers core mids (Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong) are 20-21, so they're looking for an experienced midfielder to bring in who still has a few years left in the tank to help out.

The fact that Crouch is a (R)FA would probably be attractive since it'd fill what they have ID's as a need, but not take up resources trade wise to do other things I guess.

Brodie you are right on.

Giving him the contract you gave Atkins last year would've been better but agree not the move for you. Would be interesting if went for given Greenwood's seeming implicit criticism of him and brother in his twitter spat with Roo.

Have been told a few times by my Fremantle supporting mate in Perth that the Dockers are looking at him. Not sure if it's a clear target, or he just fits the range they are supposedly looking to recruit in (a 23-27 year old established midfielder) and he's an option in there. Basically the idea was Fyfe is 30, the rest of the Dockers core mids (Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong) are 20-21, so they're looking for an experienced midfielder to bring in who still has a few years left in the tank to help out.

The fact that Crouch is a (R)FA would probably be attractive since it'd fill what they have ID's as a need, but not take up resources trade wise to do other things I guess.
Huh.

I hadn't really thought of that, but it's actually a pretty good idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back