Mecurial player, who's your favourite?

Remove this Banner Ad

A/ Keystroke error

B/ Definition: Subject to sudden or unpredictable changes in mood or mind.

Seems the bolded applies to football performances in complimentary terms, certainly from commentators and seems to have been adopted that way by the football public.

If you want I can extend the title: "Players who do amazing unpredictable and seemingly very difficult things with the football on a regular basis, who's your favourite?"

In the debate on this thread on the meaning of Mercurial what seems to be missed is that it has 2 distinct meanings (look it up in any dictionary and you'll see these meanings listed separately):

1/changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic

2/animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.

I think most sports writers, who have a decent grasp of the English language, when they use the word are using it with the latter meaning in mind hence in footy it's liable to be small forwards who are given the sorbriquet...quick of mind, quick of body.

The person who said that Jacko is a mercurial player is absolutely correct if the former meaning is being used but I doubt in journalism it often is, only the more cerebral journalist might use it correctly in that way but then they would be aware of the ambiguity of meaning of the word and so probably wouldn't.

General punters and thicko journalists (I'm thinking the likes of Robbo) seem to make the mistake of conflating these two distinct meanings when using the word so a quick witted, fleet footed football who is somewhat erratic would tend to be branded mercurial...which guess what might most likely be a small forward. I have to confess for many years of reading the word used to describe sportsmen from a variety of sports I took this meaning on board, it's only when one day the player described clearly wasn't erratic that I thought what does that this word actually mean and decided to look it up and then I was like ahh I see, it doesn't just mean what I took it to mean.

In reality the second meaning has nothing to do with inconsistency, volatility or erratic form or behaviour; in that meaning it is nothing but a compliment, simply lively and quick witted.

If somebody called you mercurial you'd have to think to yourself, a/do they think I'm volatile, b/ do they think I'm quick witted or c/do I think they don't actually know what the word means and perhaps they mean both at the same time.

In the debate on this thread on the meaning of Mercurial what seems to be missed is that it has 2 distinct meanings (look it up in any dictionary and you'll see these meanings listed separately):

1/changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic

2/animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.

I think most sports writers, who have a decent grasp of the English language, when they use the word are using it with the latter meaning in mind hence in footy it's liable to be small forwards who are given the sorbriquet...quick of mind, quick of body.

The person who said that Jacko is a mercurial player is absolutely correct if the former meaning is being used but I doubt in journalism it often is, only the more cerebral journalist might use it correctly in that way but then they would be aware of the ambiguity of meaning of the word and so probably wouldn't.

General punters and thicko journalists (I'm thinking the likes of Robbo) seem to make the mistake of conflating these two distinct meanings when using the word so a quick witted, fleet footed football who is somewhat erratic would tend to be branded mercurial...which guess what might most likely be a small forward. I have to confess for many years of reading the word used to describe sportsmen from a variety of sports I took this meaning on board, it's only when one day the player described clearly wasn't erratic that I thought what does that this word actually mean and decided to look it up and then I was like ahh I see, it doesn't just mean what I took it to mean.

In reality the second meaning has nothing to do with inconsistency, volatility or erratic form or behaviour; in that meaning it is nothing but a compliment, simply lively and quick witted.

If somebody called you mercurial you'd have to think to yourself, a/do they think I'm volatile, b/ do they think I'm quick witted or c/do I think they don't actually know what the word means and perhaps they mean both at the same time.

Yeah can't disagree with all that, but how about we all go back to what people 1st think we they think of what a "mercurial" player.

Over the entirity of the whole competition, there could be fair debate as to what is a "mecurial" player, for mine these come to mind:

Cyril (and any other Rioli- watch this space Willie)
GAJ
GAS
Peter Daicos
Daniel Minogue (probably bias being a family member but regarded as a freak for his time)
Burgoyne - wow!
Moorcroft
Robbie Gray
Liam Ryan - wow!
Chad Wingard
Ron Barassi - oh boy!
Bobby Skilton- triple charlie winner
Polly Farmer - wow!
Barry Cable
Diesel
Greening
Kicketts family
Krakoures - especially Phil and Jimmy.
Tippa
EDDIE BETTS!!!!- no one like him at the minute (not gay but I think I'm in love)
The dominator Wayne Johnston
KB
Trevor Barker - pretty boy who brought pretty football
Ray Gabelich - able to turn games on a whim, a brute with swagger.
Wayne Richardson

I could add plenty more and I'm sure I've missed some obvious ones, point em out to me. Love to reminisce
Alan jackovich for a season or was it half a season? was unbelievable, was kicking goals from the grandstand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back