Mecurial player, who's your favourite?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Over the entirity of the whole competition, there could be fair debate as to what is a "mecurial" player, for mine these come to mind:

Cyril (and any other Rioli- watch this space Willie)
GAJ
GAS
Peter Daicos
Daniel Minogue (probably bias being a family member but regarded as a freak for his time)
Burgoyne - wow!
Moorcroft
Robbie Gray
Liam Ryan - wow!
Chad Wingard
Ron Barassi - oh boy!
Bobby Skilton- triple charlie winner
Polly Farmer - wow!
Barry Cable
Diesel
Greening
Kicketts family
Krakoures - especially Phil and Jimmy.
Tippa
EDDIE BETTS!!!!- no one like him at the minute (not gay but I think I'm in love)
The dominator Wayne Johnston
KB
Trevor Barker - pretty boy who brought pretty football
Ray Gabelich - able to turn games on a whim, a brute with swagger.
Wayne Richardson

I could add plenty more and I'm sure I've missed some obvious ones, point em out to me. Love to reminisce

Peter Bosustow was certainly mercurial, and would often tear Geelong a new one, mind you just about any small forward did over the years (Craig Davis, Nick Davis, Daicos, Bewick, bloody even that left footed former Port cum Dog..Eagleton, Minchington!!

But Ian Roberts said it himself when Gaz Sr took the ball out of the boundary line throw-in in the '89 GF....'That was mercurial stuff by Gary Ablett!'

Typical Hawks supporter reply but I can't go past Cyril.

Even when you watch in slow motion it's like those Quicksilver scenes where everyone else is barely moving, yet Cyril is still looking around and working in real time.

Outside of Cyril...

When Cyril looked manic in real time, blokes like Simon Black and James Hird always looked like they were playing in their own speed, and were able to work their way around and out of situations that others couldn't.

Shaun Burgoyne's clearance work, particularly at Port when matched up with Lade - sublime to watch.

Aker had an ability to just do the impossible so often that it went from fluke to statistical likelihood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stevie J had a bit of mercurial about him, but for me Ablett Senior personified the concept. What he did defied the laws of gravity, etc.

Gary Moorcroft, one mark and he's on the list. I liked Farmer's highlights, Allen Jakovich, Akermanis almost a highlight reel from every game. Stevie J. I agree with Shaun Burgoyne and Lade, was just awesome work. Judd always exited packs with the ball, nothing mercurial, but there would be some things he done in a highlight reel.

Motlop for me, seems to be forgotten.
If anyone can do these tricks I'd love to see.... still love his goal v Brisbane on the boundary, my fav of all time.

Non indigenous, I love Robbie Gray. His first 2 games showed 2 of the best avoiding tackles you'll ever see. Said it to people around me at the time, this kid is gonna be special... I remember a year or so ago he did a one handed bounce avoiding someone on the wing near me, wasn't even shocked...

Wingard could own this thread, but he kinda doesn't want to.... he's built for the big occasion, clearly doesn't care about the smaller games, but it's a shame he'll probably never reach his true potential.

Before them Modra was good value.

Kouta for a few years was worth watching.

Stevie J, hated the bastard vs us, but geez he was good. The goal he kicked against Geelong was as memorable goal as anyone's ever kicked. So glad even the Geelong fans gave him an applause. Couldn't help but smile.

Going fwd De Goey for me. Rozee may give him run too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back