Melbourne vs Collingwood - Blockbuster Clash Queens Birthday

Remove this Banner Ad

ripper game today, and saw a lot in both sides.

Dees need to weigh up dropping hardness in Vince and Lewis for more run out of defence. Seems all they had was Hibberd. Whereas collingwood had run all over the ground. Hunt and Frost would have helped today.
Hogan was blanketed, so Tracc should have pressed forward as a dangerous presence. Was largely unsighted in the middle congestion. Pies played the outside spread far better.

Collingwood. Take a bow. That sort of game will win premierships.
Ran hard all day. Suffocated the contest, then spread quickly and ran the ball with intent.
Really can't knock the performance of anyone today.
Cox is a scary proposition if he can do that 2/3 games.
Pendles - pure class.

We were seriously outplayed today. The Collingwood midfield smashed us. We seemed a little flat but the dogs last week and got majorly caught out this week. Very flat footed against a quick Collingwood side full of run.
The effort was there at times as shown by winnning the contested footy but we caved under pressure and turned over the footy resulting in Collingwood goals.
Positives for us was playing poorly and still scoring 91 points against an Collingwood side who played pretty much as good as they could. Tmac kicking six. Joel Smith played well. Clarry who just kept working as usual.

The margin flattered the demons. The Pies have plenty of improvement with a number of injur d players to come back into that team. On top of that, Wells was proppy.

If it wasn’t for McDonald kicking 6 goals, it would have been embarrassing and would have been lucky to kick 60-70 points. We were a tall short which is the only reason he was able to take so many contested marks. Bring in a Reid or a Moore and it’s gets so much more difficult for him. You also got a number of easy goals from silly mistakes by the Pies.

You played poorly because you couldn’t match it. No different to when you had it all to play for Round 23 last year.

The margin flattered the demons. The Pies have plenty of improvement with a number of injur d players to come back into that team. On top of that, Wells was proppy.

If it wasn’t for McDonald kicking 6 goals, it would have been embarrassing and would have been lucky to kick 60-70 points. We were a tall short which is the only reason he was able to take so many contested marks. Bring in a Reid or a Moore and it’s gets so much more difficult for him. You also got a number of easy goals from silly mistakes by the Pies.

You played poorly because you couldn’t match it. No different to when you had it all to play for Round 23 last year.
This is a bizarre analysis considering we clearly went in with an undersized backline, with essentially one KPD in McDonald and a 191cm fourth gamer in Joel Smith to cover Lever. Both sides were in the same boat

Banter isn't the same as acting like a flog
Poor thing

This is a bizarre analysis considering we clearly went in with an undersized backline, with essentially one KPD in McDonald and a 191cm fourth gamer in Joel Smith to cover Lever. Both sides were in the same boat

Poor thing
No, yours is a very poor analysis given we only had 1 proper tall in the forward line and a 2nd gamer playing KPP who isn’t exactly ‘big’ at 192cm.

We had a one tall back really to. Smith played a good game but at 191cm we lacked another tall.

And talking about goals from silly mistakes. Did you see our mistakes. We made plenty that resulted in Collingwood goals. But let’s face it the modern game is based on pressure and a lot of scores come from turnovers.

We had a one tall back really to. Smith played a good game but at 191cm we lacked another tall.

And talking about goals from silly mistakes. Did you see our mistakes. We made plenty that resulted in Collingwood goals. But let’s face it the modern game is based on pressure and a lot of scores come from turnovers.

I don’t think you understand my initial response. It was in relation to the poor reasoning that the ‘pies played as well as they could and Melbourne played poorly but did well to at least kick 90 points’.

I don’t think you understand my initial response. It was in relation to the poor reasoning that the ‘pies played as well as they could and Melbourne played poorly but did well to at least kick 90 points’.
As I said teams force turnovers quiet often for scores in modern footy. I stand by the fact we did well to score 91 points. As I said initially in my first post we were seriously outplayed by Collingwood.

Melbourne in my view lacked run, particularly through the middle of the ground. Hunt would’ve been invaluable as he has the ability to break a line.

Goodwin’s post match comment that Melbourne lost the territory battle reflects this. Further, a fast crumbing forward would’ve helped to keep the ball in the 50 if TMac didn’t clunk it. Garlett perhaps?

Flip the teams and we got exactly the above from Crisp, with Stephenson working his arse off to force a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s unfortunate that you let a bit of banter hurt your feelings so much, but I’m glad if I could help you enjoy the win a bit more <3

Melbourne always have been and always will be insignificant to us. Just another run of the mill win against a side that doesn’t really count. Queen’s Birthday is Melbourne’s Grand Final every year. To us we may have been playing Gold Coast.

I agree with calls about our lack of run. One of Lewis and Vince should go out for Hunt.

After the dust has settled, I'm pretty calm after yesterday's loss. I still have concerns about certain aspects of the way we play, and I wasn't getting carried away after a few wins.

Collingwood were red hot and just too good, you can't win them all. Gives them some food for thought for the bye.

Poor thing
Having Lever in wouldn’t have done anything to improve Melbourne yesterday agianst the pies because the Dees would’ve still been using him as a one on one KPD when he’s a 3rd tall floating intercept defender..

This strategy, and Lever, failed for the Dees in their first five games this season.. it only started working with Lever starting to dominate in the next six rounds before yesterday’s game against the pies because these six games were against poor opposition (bombers, suns, Carlton, crows, dogs, saints) and the Dees where winning the contest all over the ground in these games. This made life very easy for Lever in defense and he was able to revert to his natural game.

Up against top 8 opponents the idea of using Lever as a one on one KPD is flawed.. he’s no good in that role.

Anyone that has watched the all crows games in 2016/17 will be able to tell you this. He’s a brilliant player when he is a floating, intercept defender, one of the best in the comp in fact, when in a team that is totally in control of the game like the crows were in most rounds last year... when forced to man up one on one against good opposition he’s a dud.

Lever would’ve been no good to the Dees yesterday with the Dees under that much relentless pressure.

For me, I just thought the Dee's had been out coached (by a fair margin) mainly in the midfield. But in general across the whole park.

Collingwood played good footy for 4 quarters. So hopefully the Dee's players can take note of how they played and go to that level as well (as that is what is required).

Really happy for Cox, he has been the T.McDonald for the Magpies over the last couple of games. I think he has amazing potential, and even since day 1 (or at least last year) his kicking has been fantastic.

Also, really happy for Dunn had another fantastic game.

I agree with calls about our lack of run. One of Lewis and Vince should go out for Hunt.

After the dust has settled, I'm pretty calm after yesterday's loss. I still have concerns about certain aspects of the way we play, and I wasn't getting carried away after a few wins.

Collingwood were red hot and just too good, you can't win them all. Gives them some food for thought for the bye.
Hunt in the VFL due to injury or form? How is his disposal?

Having Lever in wouldn’t have done anything to improve Melbourne yesterday agianst the pies because the Dees would’ve still been using him as a one on one KPD when he’s a 3rd tall floating intercept defender..

This strategy, and Lever, failed for the Dees in their first five games this season.. it only started working with Lever starting to dominate in the next six rounds before yesterday’s game against the pies because these six games were against poor opposition (bombers, suns, Carlton, crows, dogs, saints) and the Dees where winning the contest all over the ground in these games. This made life very easy for Lever in defense and he was able to revert to his natural game.

Up against top 8 opponents the idea of using Lever as a one on one KPD is flawed.. he’s no good in that role.

Anyone that has watched the all crows games in 2016/17 will be able to tell you this. He’s a brilliant player when he is a floating, intercept defender, one of the best in the comp in fact, when in a team that is totally in control of the game like the crows were in most rounds last year... when forced to man up one on one against good opposition he’s a dud.

Lever would’ve been no good to the Dees yesterday with the Dees under that much relentless pressure.
Have you watched Lever play at all? He’s been playing as our second tall in defence and had the second best win rate for defensive one on ones in the comp before he went down. Adelaide fans are so moronic they make Collingwood fans look sensible

For me, I just thought the Dee's had been out coached (by a fair margin) mainly in the midfield. But in general across the whole park.

Collingwood played good footy for 4 quarters. So hopefully the Dee's players can take note of how they played and go to that level as well (as that is what is required).

Really happy for Cox, he has been the T.McDonald for the Magpies over the last couple of games. I think he has amazing potential, and even since day 1 (or at least last year) his kicking has been fantastic.

Also, really happy for Dunn had another fantastic game.
Fair indictment on Goodwin, given the fact that (allegedly) Buckley couldn't tie an AFL coaches shoelace...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back