Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Guaranteed to beat any defensive Flood
That is so good

The Muppets Laughing GIF

I'm hoping we go for a ruck or mid. Next season we have, Lynch, Balta, Gibcus, Lefau, Young and Miller, who form a young but pretty exciting group of talls. Fawcett is an unknown. Going for a tall key forward at this stage of the season seems a waste. They are not going to come in and solve any problem we have at the moment, and they will be superfluous next year unless they are going to replace Lynch. Very wishful thinking that any midseason draft is going to come in and play your no.1 forward.

Down the track I think we are weakest in the ruck. Naismith is out seasons end. Nank is getting on, and I have real doubts about Ryan. He can play footy but he is just to long and lanky, and will never have the strength to play against the top rucks in the league. Find a tall, strong, athletic kid, there are a few around.

Next would be a strong mid who is gunning it in the lower levels SANFL, WAFL, VFL. Anyone doing this would walk into our midfield right now.
Good young ruck is will maclaughlin team mate think his name is ??

What midfielder will we take in the MSD? You know it is happening ... they are the key to YZE game plan ... just like HBF for Hardwick

Don't know. Right now we need a KPF. But below AFL standard KPF are worthless. As for mids a large bodies inside mid with speed would fit our list needs - until we pick Smillie. For one I know something about RCD would fit. But there are a lot fo players out there and I hope the club looks in more depth than me for the MSD

Let's do the maths ... two games before MSD ...

Hopper = (2 to 3) - (2 games to MSD) = 0 to 1 weeks

Taranto = (3 to 4) - (2 games to MSD) = 1 to 2 weeks

Wow ... exactly what I said ... and with no player going to be drafted and played the same week ... more than likely both Taranto and Hopper will play the game after our MSD picks first week of training.

Also need to take into account that we'll be 3 games away from our bye, and like you've pointed out, any player drafted is as close to playing the first game after the draft (about a day or two after) is as likely as any of us playing that game, which means they have 2 games before the bye, when you expect most, if not all, of our midfielders will be back fit and available for selection.

So, imagining they would all spend this year in the VFL anyway, a free throw at the stumps tall development forward (Noah Howes perhaps ?) and plug and play key/intercept defender (Jacob Blight?) two that must be in our thinking.

With (Sam Davidson perhaps ?) a wild stab in the dark if we take a third pick. Just because who knows...he's certainly raised some eyebrows...

Just can't see that any of the available mid season mids have super speed or a special attribute that's going to translate to the senior team. Classy mids get drafted. Inside mids or late developers go MSD.

Fascinating to think RCD is finally showing something. Imagine big footy if we bring him back ! 😂 Went away a boy, came back a man.

We already have a bunch of young mids trying to establish themselves. Let's get those next A type mids at the pointy end of the National draft rather than more of what we already have.

Our transition from hb/mid to mid/fwd is atrocious. We need strong marking half forward or third tall. Hybrid, mid sized or tall and athletic. Josh Caddy or Jack Gunston type who uses it well. Someone with natural goal sense. That, would be an addition to the team. Mykelti might suit when he's not being asked to play in the main post but another of that type wouldn't hurt.

Bombing it long is killing us.

RCD did not see eye to eye with Dimma. I was shocked he was delisted ahead some of the others. Hope he gets another chance somewhere..
He’s a spud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone mentioning Sam Davidson again needs to watch our VFL game today, he is unsighted.
Hard pass
Maybe but TBF he played better when we had more AFL support which can be more of a pointer of his potential than whats around him today.

Maybe but TBF he played better when we had more AFL support which can be more of a pointer of his potential than whats around him today.
We need players not supporting roles. Not worth it, can't see anyone picking him up.
Should spend the whole VFL improving his game then maybe in the future.

We all know we want Howes but Norf being the flogs they are will most likely take him with the vision of turning him into a full back. Just take Blight you flogs

Noah Howes & Joe Pike are my wishes but i know we will get somebody not even mentioned and unknown
But never know Clarke is gone and Toce maybe different

Not sure if you guys are after small(ish) forwards?

----

Will "Don't Call Me Gil" McLachlan's name was running hot in MSD discussions after this 6 goal haul against Murray. Will plays a little like a smaller Bayley Fritsch, getting a high percentage of his scoring shots from marking on the lead into space and up to the ball carrier. He'll need to work on his defensive efforts at the next level.

Nice mark/grab of the footy...reads the play well! ok kick...not a defensive bone in his body!
Not a real team playa! See ball...get ball...kick ball...is it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back