Most Improved and Biggest Drop Offs

Remove this Banner Ad

Most improved:

- Daniel Rich
It has taken him a decade but he has finally clicked and reached his potential. Brilliant both offensively and defensively this year and is now a crucial cog in defence.

Hugh McCluggage
Has exploded as a player this year and is now a genuine gun midfielder of the competition. Averages over a goal a game and has only had under 20 disposals on 2 occasions. Has also dramatically improved his contested work and tackling. Is developing nicely into the complete midfielder.

Dropped off:

- Cam Rayner
Showed brilliant signs in his first year and played a couple of BOG matchwinning performances. Hasn't done anything close to that this year and looks quite unfit. I will back him in to bounce back next year.

- Alex Witherden
Had an incredible first year where he averaged mid 20s disposals from the game he debuted until seasons end. He was taking the game on and hitting pin point passes regularly. This year he has gone back in his shell a lot and isn't finding as much of the footy or even using it well when he does.

I could add Taylor, Cutler, Robertson and Walker but I think they are just victims of a squad which now has great depth.

Improved - Impey:'( Worpel JOM O'Brien Lewis Henderson Cousins Sicily Hardwick Howe Ceglar

Dropped Off - Gunston Morrison Smith Puopolo Roughy
Think this is a pretty optimistic view..

Agree with Impey, Worpel, Henderson, Lewis.. But feel like there is a lot of recency bias in the rest..

Jaeger is having a solid year, better than the previous, however (and I may be alone here) I wouldn't class it enough to make a "most improved" list.

Similar story for Hardwick and to a lesser extend Cousins.

If you ask me, overall I think Sicily was better last year (despite some really good performances in the last few weeks).

O'Brien has looked good the last few weeks but barely made any noise up until then. We've seen similar glimpses from him in the past and he is a long way away from proving that he has improved/reached that level consistently.

Odd to include Howe, who has managed only 8 games and continues to find himself on the fringe come selection time whilst also regressing in most statistical categories since last year (and yes, I know that he is not a player to be judged on stats, but a "most improved" player would more likely than not see a statistical improvement in at least one category I would have thought). Please don't take this as an attack on the guy as I much prefer the look of our side with him in it.

Ceglar? Again, like him as a player but he hasn't even been playing. Had 2-3 good games in the middle of the year but other than that has been par for the course for him.

IMO our list should read:

Improved - Impey, Henderson, Lewis, Worpel
Dropped off - Roughead, Puopolo, Smith

Hawthorn is the best1! HAwthorn is the Best!

Best Coach - Clarkson
Best First Year Player - "WARPEDO"
Best Medical Staff - Scully, JOM
Best Trading Department - Wingard, Scully
Best Pincher - "Stratty"
Best and Most Improved Players- Everyone on the list
Dropped Off - no one, never, as if!!!
Fixed it for you.

Improved:

Ambrose: Best one on one defensive win ratio in the competition from any regular player.
Parish: Natural progression since getting regular midfield minutes. Question begs why did it take so long. Catalyst for our good form.
Tippa: Still a little inconsistent but has been absolutely unstoppable at points this season.
Redman: Tough as the day is long. Natural progression once he's managed to stay fit.
Clarke: Didn't see him coming but probably the premier tagger in the competition in De Boer's absence. Also takes credit as a catalyst.
Stringer: Second best year of his career. Great balance to his game with clearances and kicking goals while playing a real mature role based on pressuring and competing first

Dropped off:

Zaharakis: Doesn't have a real position but seniority has kept him selected when form probably didn't warrant it.
Fantasia: Can't stay on the park and hasn't impacted since the Hawthorn game.
Langford: Can't find a position, kicked some important goals but a regression on what was a very promising 2nd half of last season.
Hurley: Losing contests more than ever before, still a good player but not in his top 5 seasons.
Hooker: Playing injured, still impacts on the swing but has been exposed by agile talls in recent weeks.

Last edited:
Improved:
- Matera: actually justifying his trade, even had some people saying he was close to AA earlier in the year
- Ryan: from a mature pick up to best 22 to top 6 player and again been mentioned as an AA contender

Dropped off:
- Banfield: went from best 22 to WAFL
- SHill: injury potentially ending his career early

Think this is a pretty optimistic view..

Agree with Impey, Worpel, Henderson, Lewis.. But feel like there is a lot of recency bias in the rest..

Jaeger is having a solid year, better than the previous, however (and I may be alone here) I wouldn't class it enough to make a "most improved" list.

Similar story for Hardwick and to a lesser extend Cousins.

If you ask me, overall I think Sicily was better last year (despite some really good performances in the last few weeks).

O'Brien has looked good the last few weeks but barely made any noise up until then. We've seen similar glimpses from him in the past and he is a long way away from proving that he has improved/reached that level consistently.

Odd to include Howe, who has managed only 8 games and continues to find himself on the fringe come selection time whilst also regressing in most statistical categories since last year (and yes, I know that he is not a player to be judged on stats, but a "most improved" player would more likely than not see a statistical improvement in at least one category I would have thought). Please don't take this as an attack on the guy as I much prefer the look of our side with him in it.

Ceglar? Again, like him as a player but he hasn't even been playing. Had 2-3 good games in the middle of the year but other than that has been par for the course for him.

IMO our list should read:

Improved - Impey, Henderson, Lewis, Worpel
Dropped off - Roughead, Puopolo, Smith
fair enough, you do you.

I see improvements in Jaeger, especially when considering he's now the clear #1 midfielder and he's coping pretty bloody well.

Tim O'Briens having the best month-2 months of his hawthorn career so i'm not sure what you're talking about with him. He has now solidified a spot in the team, and can be swung forward or back depending on needs.

Ceglar? Mate he's been great this year when he's played. Was marking the ball superbly, unfortunately for him Clarko seems to be moving away from the 2 ruckmen gamestyle.

Dan Howe's been good in the midfield while Tom's been down. Midfield balance is much better with him in there. Last week he also played a blinder on the half-back flank. I'd bet he's in the "most improved" by the end of the year if he's not already in there.

Cousins had a huge jump in his numbers this year. Only played 2 game previous to this year, and has been able to hit the scoreboard and have an influence in AFL games, as well as being great in the VFL most of the year. I'd call that improvement

fair enough, you do you.

I see improvements in Jaeger, especially when considering he's now the clear #1 midfielder and he's coping pretty bloody well.

Tim O'Briens having the best month-2 months of his hawthorn career so i'm not sure what you're talking about with him. He has now solidified a spot in the team, and can be swung forward or back depending on needs.

Ceglar? Mate he's been great this year when he's played. Was marking the ball superbly, unfortunately for him Clarko seems to be moving away from the 2 ruckmen gamestyle.

Dan Howe's been good in the midfield while Tom's been down. Midfield balance is much better with him in there. Last week he also played a blinder on the half-back flank. I'd bet he's in the "most improved" by the end of the year if he's not already in there.

Cousins had a huge jump in his numbers this year. Only played 2 game previous to this year, and has been able to hit the scoreboard and have an influence in AFL games, as well as being great in the VFL most of the year. I'd call that improvement
Again, I wasn't talking down any of our players. I even openly agreed most of them have improved. But the thread is "most improved" not "anyone who hasn't regressed"..

But as you said, each to their own :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Improved:
Brandon Matera
Cam McCarthy
Ethan Hughes (don't tell our board that though)
Luke Ryan
Reece Conca

Declined:
Ed Langdon
Nathan Wilson
Travis Colyer
Adam Cerra
Bailey Bafield

He plays well in a win and crap in a lost. Most players can look good in a winning team.

Hate to say it, but the way you have just described Breust, yells "downhill skier" to me.

Still being the best performed forward in a worse performing side is "downhill skier"? Jesus.

I guess Breust, the forward pocket, should just put the whole team on his shoulders and carry them to more victories.

Across the entire competition, everyone would have to agree that these blokes are easily the most improved:

Reilly O'Brien, Ricky Henderson, Josh Dunkley and Rowan Marshall.

Those blokes have gotten unbelievably better compared to their previous season. The odd one out is obviously Ricky Henderson, a good 8 years older then the rest.

Josh Dunkley was pretty bloody good last year as well.

Improved: Chol. Grimes (was always great but really stepped up this year)
Decluned: Butler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back