Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines is solid but he stagnated a few seasons ago once SPP and Rockie came into the team.

He's had plenty of time out of the game. Doesn't appear to be 100% fit (aerobically not injury wise). Will never be a good kick, but more gametime will improve his hands. If he is overrated, it is because the commentators don't watch SA games and infer that he must be as good as 2-3 years ago. He'll come good.

Ridiculous call. The hype is massive and basically just media fluff to keep people watching, but the guy is clearly going to be better than okay. People were saying he was the best out of that draft before he was drafted. He's had 3 amazing games. He won the first off his own boot, almost dragged them over the line in the second (he was involved in just about every score), and poor kicking meant he didn't win the third for GC. He's having a better season than Rozee did last year and the way he is going he could be at AA level next year (in line with Wingard's 3rd year). This is all coming off 18 months of injuries.

okay.... you sort of went off track a bit. AA next year? 18 months injury? Won the game off his own boot? Dragged them over the line? Great draft year raps? It seems like you sound a bit ridiculous, too.

By "okay player" I mean he will be good, he will be above average. But he ain't McLeod and he ain't Green and he ain't close to King or Rozee. Bookmark this, and see who is right.

Rankin is overrated. He will be an okay player, but he hasn't got the speed to live up to the hype.
Reminds me a bit of Wingard. Has some serious tricks and started with a splash but getting consistency out of him has been an issue long term.

Wingard has obviously had a good season so far but his last few years have been so so.

Reminds me a bit of Wingard. Has some serious tricks and started with a splash but getting consistency out of him has been an issue long term.

Wingard has obviously had a good season so far but his last few years have been so so.
He reminds me of Akermanis, but that is based on a sample of 2 games.
If can keep it up he will be a star.

It really makes me laugh my arse off to see first year players mentioned in "over-rated" belly button gazing threads.

For mine Dusty fits the bill perfectly.
From the Pies, De Goey.
Damned fine players no doubt, extremely over rated in the big scheme of things, but then that is the way.

He may well put lie to my comment, but only time will tell.

Matt Crouch: Crab with no pace or hurt factor who gets about 30 cheap backwards handballs a game. Been woeful this season in particular

De Goey: Brilliant player but doesn’t show it enough. The way some Pies fans bang on about him you’d think he was the second coming of Jesus. Needs to put it together consistently to lose the overrated tag. He gets bonus points for making Bruce jizz in his pants every time he’s on screen

Robbie Gray: Maybe not so much this year but definitely previous years. Talked about like he was a legend of the game yet he would have huge patches in games when he did * all. Does have the clutch gene though

Dusty: Purely cos of his ridiculous 2017 season he makes it on here. Set impossibly high standards that year, and still gets talked about like he’s having that level of output. Still an absolute gun, but he isn’t his 2017 self anymore.

They’re the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There’d be some others that I can’t quite remember.

You havent stated a reason why, Just taken a shot at hawks fans.

3 of the top 10 players in the comp? Dreaming.

Australians Rates the sensibility of Victorians after having flu like symptoms to do the right thing over Tex right now.

"X Ruckman has held his own!"

While said ruckman gets his 5th disposal of the game 4th quarter, While Grundy catches his breath after a 20 disposal, 5 clearance and 35 hit outs in the first 75 minutes of the game
Do you know what overrated means? You can be a top 10 player in the comp and still be overrated

okay.... you sort of went off track a bit. AA next year? 18 months injury? Won the game off his own boot? Dragged them over the line? Great draft year raps? It seems like you sound a bit ridiculous, too.

By "okay player" I mean he will be good, he will be above average. But he ain't McLeod and he ain't Green and he ain't close to King or Rozee. Bookmark this, and see who is right.

I mean you you are already starting to change the language you used to 'above average'. He probably wont be better than 5x AA, 2x Norm smith winner Andrew McLeod. What a stupid comparison. He absolutely could be better than Green. I find it hilarious that you are jumping on the King bandwagon after talking about players getting pumped up early. How many good games has either King played versus played overall. Rankine is 3/3. I expect both King Players will be top KPF if they can stay fit. I expect Rankine could be as good in his position as well.

Matt Crouch: Crab with no pace or hurt factor who gets about 30 cheap backwards handballs a game. Been woeful this season in particular

De Goey: Brilliant player but doesn’t show it enough. The way some Pies fans bang on about him you’d think he was the second coming of Jesus. Needs to put it together consistently to lose the overrated tag. He gets bonus points for making Bruce jizz in his pants every time he’s on screen

Robbie Gray: Maybe not so much this year but definitely previous years. Talked about like he was a legend of the game yet he would have huge patches in games when he did fu** all. Does have the clutch gene though

Dusty: Purely cos of his ridiculous 2017 season he makes it on here. Set impossibly high standards that year, and still gets talked about like he’s having that level of output. Still an absolute gun, but he isn’t his 2017 self anymore.

They’re the ones I can think of off the top of my head. There’d be some others that I can’t quite remember.
On dusty, his bad 2019 was severely overblown. Had a bad month or so to start but then kicked into gear coming top ten in the Brownlow and coaches votes, best finals player award and a norm Smith. That's living up to his potential if you ask me.

Yeah, his 2020 has been mostly crap but he's been playing Injured and it's only 6 games.

It really makes me laugh my arse off to see first year players mentioned in "over-rated" belly button gazing threads.
Why?

Doesn't matter if they're 1st year rookies or 300 game veterans, if they're hyped up and rated much higher than what they're actually capable of and/or delivering - they're overrated.

In the case of 1st year players, it doesn't necessarily mean they're no good at all or that they'll never be any good, Just that they're nowhere near as good as everyone is making out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the highly rated ruckmen. Despite all the hit outs and all the stoppages there isn't a single ruckman in the top 50 for average score involvements. Their performances are judged by how much they beat their direct opponent rather than the net gain to the team.

Last edited:
at 1m a year it has to be kelly
Bingo. I feel like I’m living in an alternate universe, Josh Kelly gets all this praise and spoken about in the same breath as Danger and Dusty, yet he doesn’t really influence games.
I’ve lost count of how many people I’ve asked their opinion of Josh Kelly- only to be told ‘I don’t really notice him’. Kicks a classy goal here and there but is too slight of build to really influence things. The same thing holds Whitfield back IMO.

Dustin Martin. His level of consistency is appalling and for a supposed champion he plays too many bad games. Limited skills and a one trick pony. His disposal is disgraceful. Is a wonderful front runner. Would not be in the best 40 Tigers players I have seen.

Anthony McDonald T....

The song about him is great and he looks so muscly. But this guy goes missing way too much for a player in his prime years. There was talk of him being worth $700k-800k last year.

Still a likeable dude but hes a C grader at best.

Bingo. I feel like I’m living in an alternate universe, Josh Kelly gets all this praise and spoken about in the same breath as Danger and Dusty, yet he doesn’t really influence games.
I’ve lost count of how many people I’ve asked their opinion of Josh Kelly- only to be told ‘I don’t really notice him’. Kicks a classy goal here and there but is too slight of build to really influence things. The same thing holds Whitfield back IMO.
Think poster meant Tim Kelly

Dustin Martin. His level of consistency is appalling and for a supposed champion he plays too many bad games. Limited skills and a one trick pony. His disposal is disgraceful. Is a wonderful front runner. Would not be in the best 40 Tigers players I have seen.

I would love to see the 40 Richmond players you’ve seen who are better.

His disposal is disgraceful. Is a wonderful front runner.

His disposal is about the best in the competition and is the opposite of a front runner. You'd love him to perform more but he specifically fires up when the game is in the balance. Goes missing if they don't need him.

His disposal is about the best in the competition and is the opposite of a front runner. You'd love him to perform more but he specifically fires up when the game is in the balance. Goes missing if they don't need him.

Nope performs best when they are 6 goals up. Proven time and again.

Nope performs best when they are 6 goals up. Proven time and again.

He didn’t start playing until after half time this week dragged them back into the game and ended up the second best player on the ground.

All the highly rated ruckmen. Despite all the hit outs and all the stoppages there isn't a single ruckman in the top 50 for average score involvements. Their performances are judged by how much they beat their direct opponent rather than the net gain to the team.
This is a bit silly, well actually it's completely f***ing stupid.

You do realize that stopping the other team from scoring is a pretty decent net gain for the team right? Gawn floating down back clogging up space and taking contested grabs stopping the opposition attack has been vital for Melbourne.

Also Goldstein is tied 29th for total score involvements this season, literally the only reason North don't end up 0.0.0 every game.

A ruck can only do so much, they win the hitout to advantage and the midfield and forwards have to do the rest and look at Melbourne for example up until two weeks ago they had every opportunity under the sun to hit the scoreboard after Gawn's hitouts but they constantly pissed it up against the wall.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back