Vic Municipal Elections

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
October 22 is the final day for voting in municipal elections across Victoria. Most councils have decided on postal votes, but, this can create problems.

Case in point - Wyndham City Council.

For the 12 spots up for grabs, there are 90 separate candidates. Harrison Ward, to the east, has 41 of them. The size of the candidate information statements and ballot paper would cover a coffee table or a small dining table at minimum (no I'm not kidding - I filled mine out yesterday).

How is everyone else going with theirs?

October 22 is the final day for voting in municipal elections across Victoria. Most councils have decided on postal votes, but, this can create problems.

Case in point - Wyndham City Council.

For the 12 spots up for grabs, there are 90 separate candidates. Harrison Ward, to the east, has 41 of them. The size of the candidate information statements and ballot paper would cover a coffee table or a small dining table at minimum (no I'm not kidding - I filled mine out yesterday).

How is everyone else going with theirs?

Voted early here in Moreland - it's quiet at the polls. Not sure everyone realises they have to vote.

This is also the first time I can recall actual polling for council elections, they're now being treated like state & federal elections!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always worth doing a little research on local candidates. Although party affiliation is not declared, most are members who see it as a stepping stone for higher honours.

Don't get that idea of not declaring party affiliation. The Greens do it at a local level. What harm does it do to know where your councillors stand politically?

I forgot to post my vote for the Melbourne Council elections yesterday... what is the best excuse to use?

• I was away in Perth for a while in late September, and my housemate forgot to give me some of my mail until today
• My girlfriend came by to collect my mail while I was away in late September. We had a falling out and only reconvened late this week, and only got my mail back on Friday. I forgot to post my vote as I had work and several final university assessments due that day
• I have never forgotten to post in any election before. However, this is my first time voting in local Melbourne elections, and I simply made an error, forgetting when the mail was to be sent. This is due to work and having my final fortnight of university assessments and deadlines.

How strict are they if I send it by Sunday? Do they give out the fines pretty strictly, or they are fairly lenient? Cheers.

I forgot to post my vote for the Melbourne Council elections yesterday... what is the best excuse to use?

• I was away in Perth for a while in late September, and my housemate forgot to give me some of my mail until today
• My girlfriend came by to collect my mail while I was away in late September. We had a falling out and only reconvened late this week, and only got my mail back on Friday. I forgot to post my vote as I had work and several final university assessments due that day
• I have never forgotten to post in any election before. However, this is my first time voting in local Melbourne elections, and I simply made an error, forgetting when the mail was to be sent. This is due to work and having my final fortnight of university assessments and deadlines.

How strict are they if I send it by Sunday? Do they give out the fines pretty strictly, or they are fairly lenient? Cheers.

Put yesterday's date on the form and send it Sunday.

Real information about this has been abysmal- to census levels of crapness.
Boroondara closed friday nigh I just found out on friday cos I was checking website to see where polling stations are on saturday. but its postal and just one polling office for the whole council area of over 125,000 people.
I made sure because I was fined last time.

Last local election the old man had a heart attack the day before. He went down to Melbourne on a chopper and I followed by car. Was at the hospital all next day so missed the vote.

Wrote my letter with supreme confidence of getting a pass, mentioning hospital records would back up my account.

Bastards still fined me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back