My Corona! (Personal eyewitness accounts)

Remove this Banner Ad

They are good, but to claim they seal is a stretch. Just like water, air follows the path of least resistance.

A new law came into effect recently in QLD (not. Sure if nation wide) that when using building materials containing silica dust you must wear a specially fitted dust mask. These need to be fit tested and log books kept of use then changed out for the exact same device, that was fit tested after 80 hours use. If you’re not doing this correctly $3500 fine.
Companies offer fit testing and certificates for the various masks available.

I think I had it three days before in hindsight Ive had worse cases of the flu but tis seems to last longer. I reckon it is 12 days since my first systems but can’t be sure as I was also diagnosed with follicular lymphona
Good luck with everything! Thanks for sharing and hopefully you can give us further updates when applicable.

Did you ask how they can tell it was the Covid19 and not another flu strain?
For instance I’ve personally involved in several patients who had significant symptoms with possible contact of a case or recent travel, they were tested and so far all (about a handful) negative cases for Covid19.
Instead, they were other strains commonly found during flu season - Influenza and Rhinovirus.

Though good to hear he’s picking himself up again!
He was tested.

The quote said he didn't test negative before being allowed to shop again, because he was no longer contagious.

Marshal said on radio the other day, anyone who Males icu is, Put into A coma.

The Chinese using tradional medicine to treat and stop the spread. They also using using drugs developed by the number one health system in the world, Cuba. Drugs developed to prevent the spread of dyptheria in the 80s.

The Cubans have been developing vaccines since the seventies. With great success.

Everyday hundreds in china come off the critical list and very few die. New cases all but limited to returning citizens.

The Chinese using tradional medicine to treat and stop the spread. They also using using drugs developed by the number one health system in the world, Cuba. Drugs developed to prevent the spread of dyptheria in the 80s.

The Cubans have been developing vaccines since the seventies. With great success.

Everyday hundreds in china come off the critical list and very few die. New cases all but limited to returning citizens.
Right.

We can have absolute faith in the truth of the Chinese governments statements.

They'd never make false claims, they are a bastion of truth and integrity.

I came back from Indonesia about 9 days ago. My housemates who i travelled with all got a cough and a bit of fever. I rarely get sick but about 2 days ago i also got the cough, had a sore throat and felt a bit short of breath. I was at this point convinced i had the rona. My housemate managed to get tested at the repat drive through. I woke up today feeling pretty much back to normal and housemates test today came back negative for corona.

99% of corona tests are still coming back negative in SA so if you're feeling sick, dont panic too much yet. I was actually dissapointed that the test was negative today as i was hoping i had it and had already recovered.

Still have 5 days left of my legal self isolation though :unamused:

couple of key points from some one working in a hospital.
people don't need n95's on the street.
The virus can be alive on surfaces for up 14 days (dependent on the type on material).
Ventilators are not magic cure alls. even if people come through being vented they may have issues for the rest of their lives
Covid-19 symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu but it morphs into pneumonia quickly. thats the killer not virus.
half of all people who are infected are asymptomatic (show no signs of being ill) that means the true number of people infected is at least 50% higher than what is reported, because in Australia they are only testing symptomatic people. the real number is probably 4-5 times higher than whats reported. also reported numbers have a lag of about 3-5days
in Italy the mortality rate is very high partly due to the age of the population and multigenerational households.
expect 10-20% of all infected people to have some hospital admission and 2-7% needing to go to ICU.
If ICU's get full like Italy and New York do not expect people over 65 + to be vented, Doctors will move to comfort care measures
Stay home. Call your mum. and lets get through this because every suffering crows deserves to see another premiership.

Last edited:
The virus can be alive on surfaces for up 14 days (dependent on the type on material).
Ventilators are not magic cure alls. even if people come through being vented they may have issues for the rest of their lives
Covid-19 symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu but it morphs into pneumonia quickly. thats the killer not virus.
half of all people who are infected are asymptomatic (show no signs of being ill) that means the true number of people infected is at least 50% higher than what is reported, because in Australia they are only testing symptomatic people. the real number is probably 4-5 times higher than whats reported. also reported numbers have a lag of about 3-5days
in Italy the mortality rate is very high partly due to the age of the population and multigenerational households.
expect 10-20% of all infected people to have some hospital admission and 2-7% needing to go to ICU.
If ICU's get full like Italy and New York do not expect people over 65 + to be vented, Doctors will move to comfort care measures
Stay home. Call your mum. and lets get through this because every suffering crows deserves to see another premiership.

so if you're asymtomatic how long is it contagious for?

There have been many successful vaccines from all over the world from well before the seventies which have saved millions of lives. There will also be a successful vaccine for Covid-19 developed which will save millions of lives.

I’m glad your on the vaccination train.

Also saw the stats say 17% of people are asymptomatic. Which is kinda scary, that's a big number of people who feel just fine.
[/QUOTE]

this number is fluctuating pretty dramatically because we are not testing people with out symptoms. the only place that they have done extensive testing is iceland and they found only 1% of people were asymptomatic and positive. but they weren't considering kids very much and it is very hard to work out if the person had it just before the test was conducted.

I came back from Indonesia about 9 days ago. My housemates who i travelled with all got a cough and a bit of fever. I rarely get sick but about 2 days ago i also got the cough, had a sore throat and felt a bit short of breath. I was at this point convinced i had the rona. My housemate managed to get tested at the repat drive through. I woke up today feeling pretty much back to normal and housemates test today came back negative for corona.

99% of corona tests are still coming back negative in SA so if you're feeling sick, dont panic too much yet. I was actually dissapointed that the test was negative today as i was hoping i had it and had already recovered.

Still have 5 days left of my legal self isolation though :unamused:
Thanks for the story! Just wanted to add to the post:
- we’re now starting to hit the typical “flu” season, so it’s natural to see plenty of common flu strains floating around in the air as well as in the swab results.
- just because you have a negative result (of the Covid), it doesn’t mean the other bugs can’t do serious damage to the body (eg. could still be a serious flu strain or a pneumonia bug).
- glad to hear you and the mates are seemingly on the mend, but please maintain the isolation protocols. As limiting the spread of ALL respiratory infections is of utmost importance to our health system currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with the last paragraph. Don’t just call your mum, call your dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles. A show of support and love is needed all round.

Regarding this quote:
“half of all people who are infected are asymptomatic (show no signs of being ill) that means the true number of people infected is at least 50% higher than what is reported, because in Australia they are only testing symptomatic people. the real number is probably 4-5 times higher than whats reported.”

I would like to know where you or your hospital acquaintances are getting these numbers from? Particularly 50% asymptomatic statement. Technically if they’re asymptomatic, then how would you know to include in the number of actual cases? Certainly there would be theoretically more asymptomatic cases but we need to quote reputable studies, as I believe throwing up random numbers may create more fear/anxiety for the general public.

so if you're asymtomatic how long is it contagious for?
Assuming you mean asymptomatic with the Covid19?
This is actually a tricky question. The actual answer would be “once the virus clears from the body”. The current protocol is 2 weeks of home quarantine, though some cases may be cleared earlier than that.
The situation would also depend if they later actually develop symptoms, in which case, further assessment is needed.

Like the same period as if you have symptoms. So I think that's 14 days or so.

Also saw the stats say 17% of people are asymptomatic. Which is kinda scary, that's a big number of people who feel just fine.

thats 17% of people with the virus, not 17% of people, it’s probably not that big a number. Yet.

Thanks for the story! Just wanted to add to the post:
- we’re now starting to hit the typical “flu” season, so it’s natural to see plenty of common flu strains floating around in the air as well as in the swab results.
- just because you have a negative result (of the Covid), it doesn’t mean the other bugs can’t do serious damage to the body (eg. could still be a serious flu strain or a pneumonia bug).
- glad to hear you and the mates are seemingly on the mend, but please maintain the isolation protocols. As limiting the spread of ALL respiratory infections is of utmost importance to our health system currently.

Due to our lockdown, will normal flu season be curtailed or does it live in the air regardless of the lack of humans?

Where does the 14 days figure come from? The NIH article below states "up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel".

The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. ...
[ March 17, 2020 - https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces ]

Where does the 14 days figure come from? The NIH article below states "up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel".

The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. ...
[ March 17, 2020 - https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces ]
14 days is an extreme case. the type of material is the big variable. 14 days has been quoted by my health authority and we are using that direction. in regards to research it is a little all over the place NIH research paper says a couple of days. (see link) and the journal of hospital infection says 9 days (see link) I dont have the 14 days one on hand. but what I wanted to say is that surfaces can and will be infected for a long time, so if some one is contagious for 14 days they could infect a surface on their last day of isolation, so in reality quarantine should be closer to 20+ days not 14.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext

Also speaking of studies I referenced asymptomatic people being 50% of total cases, the studies are once again conflicted but some reports have noted 80% of people in china were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms.the testing is sporadic at best.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/covid-19-recovery-rates-intl/index.html

one last point the fear factor is about to increase to levels no one has ever seen before. America is in a world of pain that will make Italy seem like a grape appetizer before an earl of leicester schnitzel. they will run out of beds and supplies and it will get ugly real quick, unless they flatten their curve they will hit 100 million in 30 days. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsb2005114 but please remember Australia is not America. Australia's hospitals and overall public health agencies are wonderful, and the people who work in them and bloody committed and I have a lot of faith in them.

Last edited:
Agree with the last paragraph. Don’t just call your mum, call your dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles. A show of support and love is needed all round.

Regarding this quote:
“half of all people who are infected are asymptomatic (show no signs of being ill) that means the true number of people infected is at least 50% higher than what is reported, because in Australia they are only testing symptomatic people. the real number is probably 4-5 times higher than whats reported.”

I would like to know where you or your hospital acquaintances are getting these numbers from? Particularly 50% asymptomatic statement. Technically if they’re asymptomatic, then how would you know to include in the number of actual cases? Certainly there would be theoretically more asymptomatic cases but we need to quote reputable studies, as I believe throwing up random numbers may create more fear/anxiety for the general public.
you are absolutely right we need to be clear with the numbers and use reputable articles. The asymptomatic piece is complicated i will reference several articles below. A couple of factors to consider, who is being tested and when they are being tested. my comment came from this quote "Early results from deCode Genetics indicate that a low proportion of the general population has contracted the virus and that about half of those who tested positive are non-symptomatic,” said [Iceland’s chief epidemiologist Thorolfur] Guðnason. (there is a difference between non-symptomatic and asymptomatic but we will just leave that for now) what has happened in Iceland is they have tested every one and they are finding lots of people are non-symptomatic, this has also been seen in sone italian villages, yet the diamond princess only saw 16% of people be asymptomatic. the International Journal of Infectious Diseases estimates that 30% of people are asymptomatic. the numbers are in flux and I completely agree with you, we should not be causing undue fear, what we need is good information. What i want people to understand is social distancing, isolation, good hand washing, only going out when it is needed and making smart decisions will help save peoples lives. personally i have a couple of family members in Adelaide that would most likely not come through this if they got infected. I really hope every stays safe and that they are not unduly afraid.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/me...4302/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I251454518-C12-P3-S2.4-T1

Last edited:
14 days is an extreme case. the type of material is the big variable. 14 days has been quoted by my health authority and we are using that direction. in regards to research it is a little all over the place NIH research paper says a couple of days. (see link) and the journal of hospital infection says 9 days (see link) ...
The 9 day figure seems to relate to a 2009 published study using a mouse-adapted strain of SARS-CoV - most of the other human coronavirus related infectious periods are at the 5 day period.

I dont have the 14 days one on hand. but what I wanted to say is that surfaces can and will be infected for a long time, so if some one is contagious for 14 days they could infect a surface on their last day of isolation, so in reality quarantine should be closer to 20+ days not 14.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext
Better safe than sorry in a hospital setting, I guess.

How are things in BC? I have two sisters (and families) living in Vancouver/Surrey.

I want to move to Sweden, the only sensible country. As Morrissey said ‘ stop watching the news, the news is meant to frighten you, to make you feel small and alone, to make you feel your life isn’t your own’

Due to our lockdown, will normal flu season be curtailed or does it live in the air regardless of the lack of humans?
Influenza should definitely decrease with less interpersonal contact, as should all coughs and colds which are spread through contact.

Even STD’s should diminish, at least for those that don’t break curfew 😎. Will Tinder go broke?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back