NBL League Owner wants AFL club investment

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious how the article mentions that a team couldn't be called Richmond Tigers, or use Richmond colours due to AFL rules, and yet the "Collingwood Magpies" netball team appears to wear black and white uniforms.

I think that would be more down to Melbourne United being the "Melbourne Tigers" renamed and all parties at the time not wanting to have any confusion between the two "Tigers" that would split fans rather than any AFL rule.

I think that would be more down to Melbourne United being the "Melbourne Tigers" renamed and all parties at the time not wanting to have any confusion between the two "Tigers" that would split fans rather than any AFL rule.

The owner of the NBL & Melbourne United has a hold on the Tigers name in the NBL.

Honestly, The Tigers were dead in the water. The name change to united has been the greatest sucess for the club in 15 years. I dont think any tigers fans are going to turn the Atmosphere to KK-Partizan

Please dont ruin NBL again, every 5 years, you see some growth, League gets the idea More teams=MORE PEOPLE WATCHING!" and about 3 clubs become unfinancial. 8 teams right now is a struggle, With Townsville folding, Illawarra/Cairnes having tough times. I honestly don't know why they havent even tried another team In perth, with the Wildcats getting 14k+ to every game

If they haven't got 2 NBL teams in either Melbourne or Sydney, I can't see how Perth could possibly have 2 teams. Townsville struggled with the NRL cowboys dominating the sports scene. Also with Cairns being just up the road.

I see Hobart are pushing for a team. They'd be ok as a whole of state team. They struggled last time as a lot of clubs just spent the league into oblivion. Certainly Sydney & Brisbane killed themselves by overspending & relying on some so called white knights.

A maximum 12 team NBL with a strong salary cap in place might do ok. It'd need Melbourne x2 & Sydney x2. Illawarra, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, FNQ(Cairns), NZ & Tasmania & Geelong.

Gazey gave up, Kesselman isnt cutting them any slack.
I know the Tigers are in the SEABL(a very good sporting league btw) with Gazey as coach. But funding that was hard enough for Gaze and co.

I don't know enough about Basketball, let alone the Melbourne Basketball, to really comment on the United/Tigers thing.

I know the Tigers are in the SEABL(a very good sporting league btw) with Gazey as coach. But funding that was hard enough for Gaze and co.

I don't know enough about Basketball, let alone the Melbourne Basketball, to really comment on the United/Tigers thing.

Gazey coaches in the NBL ?

NBL can allow the Tigers to return though, Andrew Gaze is apparently behind a bid to bring them back.

Rubbish Heardy, you are making it up !!!

Larry Kestelman is the man I was referring to - start here Heardy:
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/larry-kestelman-didnt-buy-a-club-he-bought-the-whole-nbl-20151006-gk2l8k

It was November 2014, and only weeks after Kestelman had sacked the team's previous coach and just months after he had changed the club name from the Melbourne Tigers, a brand that that existed since the early 1980s.

Kestelman has owned Melbourne United (formerly the Tigers) since February 2012 though he had been a sponsor for a decade before that.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/l...t-the-whole-nbl-20151006-gk2l8k#ixzz4yI6EyAlA
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Same article mentioned the Wildcats for the mugsta madmug
On the other hand, huge crowds still flocked to watch the Perth Wildcats, with the team making a profit of more than $1.5 million for its BRW Rich List member owner Jack Bendat. The success in Perth, a profitable Cairns Taipans and the popularity of the sport at grassroots level, was proof to many that the NBL still had great potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus Jack Bendat is notoriously cheap and the rent for the stadium for games is ridiculus. Im sure there could be the option of a discounted rate for both wildcats and a "new" team if they got twice as many games

The Arena would be far too big for any new team, and in any case they'd need to distinguish themselves from the Wildcats if they wanted to be successful. Simply being a Wildcats-lite would doom them to fail.

They'd be better off playing in a 4000 capacity venue out in the burbs somewhere. If one exists.

Plus Jack Bendat is notoriously cheap and the rent for the stadium for games is ridiculus. Im sure there could be the option of a discounted rate for both wildcats and a "new" team if they got twice as many games

In what way is Bendat notoriously cheap ? Cheap motherhood statement?

In what way is Bendat notoriously cheap ? Cheap motherhood statement?
Only pays imports. A few SBL SEABL players i know who have had contract negotiations have been ridiculously lowballed. With a "well you want to play for us or not? " not a dig. Clearly works also was one of the issues which was a sticking point for the nbl/nba pre season matches as well.

Only pays imports. A few SBL SEABL players i know who have had contract negotiations have been ridiculously lowballed. With a "well you want to play for us or not? " not a dig. Clearly works also was one of the issues which was a sticking point for the nbl/nba pre season matches as well.

You are talking the Wildcats roster?

A second NBL team in Perth would be a disaster.

Not sold on the one club, multiple teams thing that big clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid do in Europe. I don't care about any WC AFLW side or our 'partner' West Coast Fever or any other WC branded team. If there was a WC branded Big Bash team I wouldn't suddenly stop going for the Scorchers.

If AFL clubs want to get into multi-code stuff why aren't they involved with cricket which runs in the summer and shares facilities?

A second NBL team in Perth would be a disaster.

Not sold on the one club, multiple teams thing that big clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid do in Europe. I don't care about any WC AFLW side or our 'partner' West Coast Fever or any other WC branded team. If there was a WC branded Big Bash team I wouldn't suddenly stop going for the Scorchers.

If AFL clubs want to get into multi-code stuff why aren't they involved with cricket which runs in the summer and shares facilities?

2 x NBL clubs in Melbourne have a history demonstrating its not sustainable in any of the cities - footy should have nothing to do with it IMHO.

You are talking the Wildcats roster?
Yeah. In general hes a pretty shrewd owner. 1.5m a year profit in the nbl is insane. For years a lot of teams got by with breaking even

You had townsville cut the reigning mvp because they couldnt afford to pay him for more then a month. Always the nbl issues. Fox helped when they got the tv deal then people stopped caring outside country towns 36ers and wildcats. Vice versa people follow. None flow into small towns.

Last thing i want is an expansion. The only time that has worked in 20 years was the breakers. And in turn it was helped by guys like Penny who sacrificed huge miney to ho play in europe at the time

Small detail about me. Ive played for local state clubs. Coached numerous kids in my area as well for free. Just out of love for the game. Evident that a stronger grassroots partipation does not tranalate into $$$ from the nbl. And the nbl is a basketcase in how it has handled every expansion club. Some of the venues as well... I remember going to games at challenger stadium for the cats.

If an afl club is happy to basically create a team it would have to be sucessful for it to only carry as pretty much a sponsor of the club. Because it would probably lose money

Last edited:
Yeah. In general hes a pretty shrewd owner. 1.5m a year profit in the nbl is insane. For years a lot of teams got by with breaking even

You had townsville cut the reigning mvp because they couldnt afford to pay him for more then a month. Always the nbl issues. Fox helped when they got the tv deal then people stopped caring outside country towns 36ers and wildcats. Vice versa people follow. None flow into small towns.

Last thing i want is an expansion. The only time that has worked in 20 years was the breakers. And in turn it was helped by guys like Penny who sacrificed huge miney to ho play in europe at the time

Small detail about me. Ive played for local state clubs. Coached numerous kids in my area as well for free. Just out of love for the game. Evident that a stronger grassroots partipation does not tranalate into $$$ from the nbl. And the nbl is a basketcase in how it has handled every expansion club. Some of the venues as well... I remember going to games at challenger stadium for the cats.

If an afl club is happy to basically create a team it would have to be sucessful for it to only carry as pretty much a sponsor of the club. Because it would probably lose money

Interesting Upgray, maybe you want players paid too much, more than a successful business would pay - the Wildcats & Bendat have the score on the board. Pls don't take it as a criticism of you personally, its an observation & you are the basketball fan, I follow it but only incidentally.
I've followed Mr Bendat from the late 60s when he was involved with Subi footballer Kevin Merifield who at the time was in partnership with Kerry Stokes (now of Channel 7/Westrac) fame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back