Moved Thread Neutral fans: Hawkins or Riewoldt?

Neutral fans: Who’s the better player over the course of their 16 seasons

• Tom Hawkins

Votes: 237 69.7%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 103 30.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's more tolerance of Hawkins and dislike for Jack.
A lot of big boned people like Hawkins.
im-not-fat-im-big-boned.gif

My reason for going for Freo as a 7 year old was: Underdog club, not from Victoria (as a Melbournian at the time), funky colours and my favourite player at the time (Adrian Fletcher) was traded to them. My NRL team is the Cowboys in 2003 when I started playing it at school and learning about the game they were the underdog Queenslad team and in general I love the North Queensland laid back straight shooters. My EFL side is the Blackburn Rovers though that's mostly family reasons but I'd rather support the underdog. My NFL team is the Vikings because I'm a masochist.

I empathise with and appreciate your club selection more than most. But Geelong have never been a minnow (unless you started backing them in the early-mid 80s but I do know that isn't the case). They were a contender and loved club for pretty much all of the 90s. I assume you started watching in the early 00s when they were rebuilding?

Nah mate first game of afl I ever watched was the 89 grand final. I sided with the cats and never strayed from that moment on - considering the two choices I could have made that day, probably not the greatest decision I’ve ever made

Genuine question do we actually have any data on this?

The three primary forwards when I was growing up were Dunstall Ablett and Lockett.

One spent the majority of his career in a s**t side, one in a great side, one in a side that was s**t for half his career and very good for the other half.

The next generation was a mixed bag too.
Even now two of the best forwards of the last decade were Cameron and Lynch who have both been prolific in s**t sides and more recently in good sides. Is there any known data that supports one theory over the other?

I don’t have ready data no.

But the best way to test it is to track the individual players and see if their goals go up or down in the years their teams kick more and less goals.

I am pretty sure there will be a much stronger correlation between these goal kickers going highest in their club’s higher scoring years than in the club’s lower scoring years.

I might have a look at it next week when I have some time.

Nah mate first game of afl I ever watched was the 89 grand final. I sided with the cats and never strayed from that moment on - considering the two choices I could have made that day, probably not the greatest decision I’ve ever made

That’s interesting. Probably explains why you are such a hardcore fan and hate me

Yes.

You've just worked that out for yourself.

North and West Coast are unusually bad.

Richmond 2010 was unusually bad.

For the majority of both Hawkins and Reiwoldts careers the goals scored by their teams has been around the league average each season.
You'd have stats to back that up?

You made the call only a sports mad fan's heart can make and has been repaid in many fortunes. Very fortunate: from that grand final you couldn't make a bad call :thumbsu:

I don’t have ready data no.

But the best way to test it is to track the individual players and see if their goals go up or down in the years their teams kick more and less goals.

I am pretty sure there will be a much stronger correlation between these goal kickers going highest in their club’s higher scoring years than in the club’s lower scoring years.

I might have a look at it next week when I have some time.
We were just talking about a single game in regards to hawkins. There was no mention of riewoldt.

and hawkins spent about 7 seasons as our sole key tall.

My reason for going for Freo as a 7 year old was: Underdog club, not from Victoria (as a Melbournian at the time), funky colours and my favourite player at the time (Adrian Fletcher) was traded to them. My NRL team is the Cowboys in 2003 when I started playing it at school and learning about the game they were the underdog Queenslad team and in general I love the North Queensland laid back straight shooters. My EFL side is the Blackburn Rovers though that's mostly family reasons but I'd rather support the underdog. My NFL team is the Vikings because I'm a masochist.

I empathise with and appreciate your club selection more than most. But Geelong have never been a minnow (unless you started backing them in the early-mid 80s but I do know that isn't the case). They were a contender and loved club for pretty much all of the 90s. I assume you started watching in the early 00s when they were rebuilding?
Not minnow but not big 4 and never will be (thank God)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three flags and two Abletts, you could have done a lot worse, lucky the Saints weren't playing that day

Or maybe we just rate Hawkins the better player. Got nothing to do with any so called anti Richmond bias, no need to be so insecure or paranoid about it.
And yet not a single one of you Cartoonists had anything nice to say about Jack. A 100% pro-Hawkins rate? For players who have really similar stats throughout their careers?

Like talking to a wall of frothing bricks...

Three flags and two Abletts, you could have done a lot worse, lucky the Saints weren't playing that day
I'm living proof of a similar example.. as a kid I basically was given the choice of Geelong or St Kilda and I just preferred blue over red.

Pretty happy with the results tbh

Recency bias will lead to Hawkins winning this poll.

People forget that Jack had multiple seasons in Coleman contention while Hawkins was struggling to hold his spot in a team that was crying out for a key forward.

Hawkins has played better footy since Jack's injury in 2019. But 2010 to 2018 Jack was better.

Recency bias will lead to Hawkins winning this poll.

People forget that Jack had multiple seasons in Coleman contention while Hawkins was struggling to hold his spot in a team that was crying out for a key forward.

Hawkins has played better footy since Jack's injury in 2019. But 2010 to 2018 Jack was better.

Aside from the key forward that kicked 191 across Hawkins’ first four seasons, and the other key forward who kicked 101 goals during Hawkins’ 4th and 5th seasons, yes, aside from them we were screaming out for a key forward so it’s amazing that he couldn’t be our number 1 key forward by default during that time that we were absolutely bereft of key forward options.

Back