Next Australian Captain?

Next captain?

• Total voters
It's official.

Cummins captain with Smith as VC.

So Smith will actually captain the team on field. This is quite smart by CA, put the clean skin in as captain knowing that when he is bowling Smith will be the Captain. Bad look to appoint Smith but we still get what we want just without his name officially on the title.

Ughhhhhh not Smith again!!

Hope they tell Cummins to ditch the mobile phone and keep out of trouble!

He probably has spent the last few days deleting anything remotely suspicious of all his electronic devices now and past.
The money is sensational these days but what a miserable time it is now to be a high level sportsman or high profile anything now.

In other words, Cummins is the “captain” and face of the team but Smith makes all the moves

I think this works well for the team. Smith can lead the charge with technical skills and run scoring savant on-field.

Cummo can be the face of the team (media), pick the team up on his back with his bowling and be the soft-skills off-field leader (who players go to to talk to, stand up in meetings with JL etc).

Would be interesting to see if it works and whether we go in a similar direction for limited overs once Finch has retired (bearing in mind Finch can probably do everything required of a Captain, when in form).

It's official.

Cummins captain with Smith as VC.

The email I just got read a bit like "co-captains".

I was hoping I had misinterpreted it:

CA Email said:
Pat Cummins has been named the 47th captain of the Australian Men’s Test cricket team. Batter and former captain Steve Smith has been named vice-captain of the team.

Fast bowler Cummins joins an elite club with the honour of leading Australia, stepping into the role after almost two years years as vice-captain.

The 28-year-old New South Welshman is ranked the world’s number one Test bowler and has gained worldwide respect for his ability, leadership qualities and humility over a decade as a player. He marked ten years since his Test debut against South Africa this month.

Smith returns to the leadership alongside Cummins. Smith, who made his Test debut in 2010, has been an integral part of the senior playing group in with his growth as a leader and person on and off the field.

Pat Cummins said: “with Steve and I as captains, a number of very senior players in this squad and some great young talent coming through we are a strong and tightly knit group.

“This is an unexpected privilege which I am very grateful for and am very much looking forward to.”

No explicit mention of "VC" was what I picked up on.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong

Smith doesn’t need the title to offer advice from slip. Australia should not have gone back to him in a formal capacity.

Perhaps not. I'm not big on Smith as captain and that was before the ball tampering. But looking at the rest of the side there really isn't much choice as Lab just isn't right for it or not yet anyway.

Our best fast bowler needs to concentrate on being our best fast bowler if the Aussies want to win. Give it to just about anyone other than Cummins, other than Haze.

Captaincy affects people differently. I don't think it matters whether they bat, bowl or keep, its whether they can do that job without it negatively affecting their game performances

Captaincy affects people differently. I don't think it matters whether they bat, bowl or keep, its whether they can do that job without it negatively affecting their game performances

I read that he and Smith will be very collaborative about the captaincy so that's good, though I find it quite funny that Smith is back-up. Not that they have much choice. Cupboard is bare.

Perhaps not. I'm not big on Smith as captain and that was before the ball tampering. But looking at the rest of the side there really isn't much choice as Lab just isn't right for it or not yet anyway.
The lack of options is an indictment but I’d prefer Lab as VC and hope he matures to Smith getting the role. It’s not a guarantee of the captaincy in future.

The lack of options is an indictment but I’d prefer Lab as VC and hope he matures to Smith getting the role. It’s not a guarantee of the captaincy in future.
I think it highlights where the game is at in this country and what an absolute ******* disgrace CA is.

Until today I didn't realise that Cummins' public speaking skills are pretty ordinary.

But he is a terrific cricketer and seems like a good bloke as well.

I don't like the idea of a bowler as captain but why not give it a try?

Not many other options.

Back